YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

i dived with 25 kilos and quickly found out that i was over weighted i now have 25 pounds and thought at 25kilos i must have been the heaviest diver out there till at capernwray i saw what looked like 30plus kilos any further bids for heaviest belt

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>sorry, i think i started on 20lb - not very impressive.

now i'm on 12lb (with steel twin 7s)

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

At one point with twin steel Faber 8's I didn't need a weightbelt at all. Changing to twin 12's and a weezle undersuit makes me carry around 10-12lbs.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

I'm on 12kg with a drysuit, 15 and pony in freshwater at the moment. 15 in salt.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Imported post

I'm going for the lightest with only 4kg, mind you I probably have the heaviest twin 10's around as each Cylinder weigh 13.5kg.

Allan

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Stoney today: 3kg, Sea generally 7.5kg - Not too heavy I'm afraid

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wrecktrekkie @ Feb. 20 2004,16:18)]I'm going for the lightest with only 4kg, mind you I probably have the heaviest twin 10's around as each Cylinder weigh 13.5kg.

Allan
That's what you think  

Twin 10's (13.5kg each - must be the same supplier!)  2kg absolute minimum in salt water, 4kg is more comfy)

Twin 7x300bars, 2kg although might if I pushed it drop a fraction more.

Oh my backplate does weigh 2.5kg though so maybe it is about the same, all in all.

Daz

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>started off 24lb at christmas droped down to 10 but became unstable at 6 mtrs so went back to 16 lb.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>i dont work in lbs - but im pretty sure i have a lot of lead - around 11kg on the weight belt and then 1kg for the ankle weights.  I dive with a twinset too.  I admit its cos i have a fat arse.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

4kg in the summer with Fourth Element base layour and 6kg in the winter with Thinsulate. Thats plus my twin set, back plate and canister tourch so at least another 7kg total about 11 -13kg.

Andrew and I found a weight belt on a dive once. It had sop much lead in it Andrew couldent lift it off the bottm with his wing fulley inflated. We tied it to line and sent up an smb but had we realised how much lead was in it we wouldent have bothered, I counted 28kg.

I couldent help thinking the chap weraing it must still be in orbit after loosing it.  

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
41 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>9kg with twin 12's, backplate and wing in the sea, but then there is a lot of dry suit to sink.
Dave.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Imported post

Many, many moons ago with a 8mm drysuit I used 40lb .... needed it until I got to 10m then sank like a brick. Now in the sun I generally have 4lb with a 12l + 3l pony steel cylinders.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

I dive with 18KG in salt water, with large 15L tank,I use 8kg on a belt and the rest in my intergrated weight system.
Why so much weight I hear you ask

as I feel the cold more, (spend too much time in my cab with the heater on full blast made me soft
)
I add extra air to my suit keeping me warmer and spend longer not freezing my jibletts off  

Tony

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Diving with a 15 L cyinder and 3L x 300 bar steel pony, in the sea, just now, with two layers of thermal underwear (similar to Xerotherm) and a 100 g Thinsulate undersuit under my trilam drysuit (sea temp 1-2 degrees) , I have 11 kg on my weight belt and 700 g on each ankle, i.e. 12.4 kg altogether. 1-2 kilos less in the summer (only one layer of thermal underwear + Thinsulate undersuit).

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Imported post

There is no doubt that most British divers wear more lead than they need to. I am constantly diving in suits that are new to me but I know that as a human being (yes, it is true!) I am neutrally buoyant in the nude and can control whether I float or sink by altering my lung volume. (I suggest you wear a swimming costume if you try this anywhere public.)
As a rule-of-thumb, if I expect to dive with aluminium cylinders I have only to worry about the buoyancy imparted by the suit, and if I have a new wetsuit/semi-dry I simply bundle this up with a weightbelt and see how much lead it needs to start losing its buoyancy. The more suit there is, the more lead is needed.

I am 1.95m tall (but not a very fat person - I weigh 87kg). But that does mean I wear more suit than most. This means I should need more lead than most too.
Still, I find that with a standard steel 15l cylinder, Weezle undersuit, and almost any trilaminate membrane drysuit, I can dive effectively with 12kg on my belt in fresh water (14kg in the sea) and never need put air into my BC. Extra (steel) cylinders mean less lead.
If you have a lot of lead, try losing a bit and then exhaling to leave the surface. (CCR divers should exhale through the nose.)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JJJJBBBBB @ Feb. 21 2004,13:20)]I am 1.95m tall (but not a very fat person - I weigh 87kg). But that does mean I wear more suit than most. This means I should need more lead than most too.
Still, I find that with a standard steel 15l cylinder, Weezle undersuit, and almost any trilaminate membrane drysuit, I can dive effectively with 12kg on my belt in fresh water (14kg in the sea) and never need put air into my BC.
Which is about what I would expect and roughly in line with what many of us have stated here that we use. Are you claiming to use (relatively) less than most of us others? The tone of your post suggests that you are.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>4kg (wackerweight),  2.5kg (combro backplate), 1kg ankle weights, Twin 12L 300 BAR cylinders.
With full cylinders massive negative bouyancy, nesesatating 90 lb lift wing to stay at surface safely.
With empty cylinders slightly negative on 6m stop.
Takes some getting used to but no wories of running out of air

wack

1 - 20 of 34 Posts