YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing of increasing numbers of divers adopting the practice of breathing very heavily on their safety stops to purge their bodys of nitrogen. However, if you breath like this you are by default breathing in as hard as you are breathing out, so surely you are taking in more nitrogen as much as breathing out more nirtogen, therfore defeating the object of breathing heavily (unless you've switched to 100% O2 that is).

Any thoughts on this please.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I am hearing of increasing numbers of divers adopting the practice of breathing very heavily on their safety stops to purge their bodys of nitrogen.
Nobody's model takes breathing rate into consideration because the rate of gas transfer is so low that the gas in your lungs pretty much comes out with the same ratio of inerts as it went in.
You're talking about gassing off a couple of litres over a half hour stop.

I'm sure they feel very clever doing it and wonder why nobody thought of it before.

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
Personally I believe calm, comfortable relaxed breathing will always be best
If you are calm your breathing is calm. If your breathing is calm, your body will be calm ... and so it goes on.

I'm pretty sure that heavy, effectively strained and/or full of effort, breathing will cause an increase in the likes of adrenalin all leading to an increase need from the body, which will counteract any benefits purported to come from breathing the rich O2 harder.

Go on, sit at the pc now and deliberately try to breathe harder/heavier, see what happens, Bet you go dizzy ;)

Just my opinion but I sincerely believe calm and relaxed, breathing ; natural breathing without thinking, the way your body is intended to work must be best

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
If you are calm your breathing is calm. If your breathing is calm, your body will be calm ... and so it goes on.

I'm pretty sure that heavy, effectively strained and/or full of effort, breathing will cause an increase in the likes of adrenalin all leading to an increase need from the body, which will counteract any benefits purported to come from breathing the rich O2 harder.

Go on, sit at the pc now and deliberately try to breathe harder/heavier, see what happens, Bet you go dizzy ;)

Just my opinion but I sincerely believe calm and relaxed, breathing ; natural breathing without thinking, the way your body is intended to work must be best
Ok I'm dizzy :embarassed:

·
Registered
4,526 Posts

Point well made, Ssquid, hyperventilating at the surface isn't very good for you (think brown paper bags!), so lordy knows what would happen at depth?

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Only because you've been looking at THAT website agian haven't you? You filthy beast. :angel:
That's it i've stuck tape over my webcam that was freaky :embarassed: :teeth:

·
11,983 Posts
Bugger, it crashes on Vista. If you run Vista ...
Who ? Me? Ha ha ha
No, you're alright, no Vista on my pc :angel:
Dwnloading it now but wil have to wait till after dinner to play

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
I am hearing of increasing numbers of divers adopting the practice of breathing very heavily on their safety stops to purge their bodys of nitrogen. However, if you breath like this you are by default breathing in as hard as you are breathing out, so surely you are taking in more nitrogen as much as breathing out more nirtogen, therfore defeating the object of breathing heavily (unless you've switched to 100% O2 that is).

Any thoughts on this please.
I have never heard this .... have you got a reference to real benefit from this practice?
TIA
Mal

·
11,983 Posts
Sixy.....You know who used to work at Codemasters don't you ;)

the same person that hacked our email a few years ago :(
OMG !!! :eek:mg:

And I've downloaded it! Am I safe ????

I suppose it will start talking loads of drivel now, get mega aggressive, make a bunch of false accusations, break down and cry "poor me, poor me" then set up profiles in my name across the globe :rolleyes:

Oh well, if I do get around to playing it I'll be bored within a few days anyway. I never was much for computer games

1 - 20 of 24 Posts