YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

It's a bit boring being dead so I thought I'd share the details of a recent trip to the Sound of Mull.  Did 2 excellent dives on Helena Faulbaum, 65 metres. Stayed on Gemini Storm liveaboard, fantastic boat, very well equipped.  I jumped off the boat and hammered my way down the shotline as fast as I could while firing in diluent and clearing my ears and checking handsets etc.  Got onto the wreck within about 3 mins which was a slow descent.  Didn't reel off from the shotline, just noted it's position in relation to the hold.   What an amazing site greeted me as I reached the end of the shot and saw this majestic ship just sitting there on the sea bed. It looked truly amazing. She is quite intact and there are still portholes attached.  They are very difficult to get off even with lump hammers and crow bars.  Quite a lot of marine life on the wreck although I was more interested in brass and penetrating to see what I could find.   One lucky member of the team got some nice plates etc. I spent my time swimming around a few different sections until Erik The Viking became a bit twitchy about my dodgy wreck penetration without a line to the surface technique.   In return, I became a bit twitchy on the second dive when his handsets began to beep at 65m.  Sort your cells Erik if you're reading!  In return I will use my rusty reel to get back to the shot

And now for the tekkie details:

Max Depth: 65m
Bottom Time: 30 Mins at 65M
Dive Time: Just over 100 mins
Deco Schedule: Decoplanner (with extra time added to shallow stops)
Equipment:  Yellow Peril with two offboard 6l cheap fire brigade bailout bottles as Willo has adopted my sevens, one using 10/50 trimix plugged into the loop, the other containing weak Nx.  Onboard dil bottle kept for drysuit and bailout if necessary.

These dives taught me something crucial - when you leap off a boat and your feet come right out of the dry suit boots and then the fins get loose in a choppy current, it seems to make the swim to the buoy a tad more difficult.   Fix:  snoopy loops cut from car inner tube around the ankles work a treat.  

One other thing: while peeing into a TENA nappy underwater, the intense concentration and stillness required to control the flow results in open circuit divers swimming up and giving frantic OK signals.  Shouting "I'm having a piss" through the mouthpiece is generally taken as an affirmative OK.

Back to Helena next weekend.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Ammers,

Glad your demise has been overstated - but leave the brass where it is eh'

I never had you down for a sad "pot hunter"

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Nowt wrong wi' appreciating the fine crafmanship is there now!! I didn't say I personally had a lumphammer now did I!!

Brass is there to be collected
 I await the flames.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

No Ammers - brass should be left where it is. And you know that.

Only sad fucks go "pot hunting" or guys who are worried about their manhood.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Brass is there to be lifted

Ever get the feeling you're being wound up Gav?

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

I thought you were beyond trolling ...

once a troll ...

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Lighten up old chap, Remember It's meant to be fun!

I'm off to Dotty now to see what brass I can find

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Right-o if you see any portholes at Dotty you can get me one too.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Actually, there's a thought!!

Let's put a decent wreck IN Dotty so that divers can have a blast. Something the size of say, the Turpitz; let's slant it so that it's accessible from 20 metres down to 80!!

OK, I'm back on the Meds now. Ahem - Diving Dotty....are you mad?? ;)

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

There are much more interesting things to see at Dotty at 80m like the end of the pipe that leads to that tantalising sump at around 105m.  I want that sump!  It's getting very close.   Almost managed at weekend but bottled out of the full depth due to massive nervous attack. The day I write my name on the deep visitor book at 100m I will drink champagne after the dive. By eck Gav I might even bring you one of the many portholes!!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Ammers,

Glad to see you're still getting 'that nervous feeling'; nature's way of telling us "it (the dive site) will still be there next time....and so will I if I bug out now....."

Stay safe - achievement by stages eh.

Cheers,

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Course I'm nervous!  I don't just jump in and assume it will all go to schedule. That's the nature of the beast.  But I will get there.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

Good to see you in one piece Ann Marie. Hey listen, I don't want to be an arse, but don't you think it would be nicer if the diver after you can get a glimpse of the portholes too?

It some what worries me - wrecks are history weather they are 20 or 2500 years old. If we divers keep messing them up our kids wouldn't have the chance to enjoy them. By the way don't do that in front of my 11 year old because she'll give you ####.

Check this out....
http://community.webshots.com/album/41553657kUShCS
I had seen this wreck before these pictures were taken. I left every thing alone so some one will come and enjoy it. Here are the results. I hope that the artifacts remain there for a much longer time.

Take care

Lawrence

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Lawrence D on 11:06 pm on Dec. 9, 2002
Good to see you in one piece Ann Marie. Hey listen, I don't want to be an arse, but don't you think it would be nicer if the diver after you can get a glimpse of the portholes too?

It some what worries me - wrecks are history weather they are 20 or 2500 years old. If we divers keep messing them up our kids wouldn't have the chance to enjoy them. By the way don't do that in front of my 11 year old because she'll give you ####.

Check this out....
http://community.webshots.com/album/41553657kUShCS
I had seen this wreck before these pictures were taken. I left every thing alone so some one will come and enjoy it. Here are the results. I hope that the artifacts remain there for a much longer time.

Take care

Lawrence
<span =''>

Totally agree with you sentiments Lawrence.. It's great to see those pics.. seeing portholes still on a wreck like that is like finding hens teeth

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

Hello Dave, should you want to see crock-pots and other 1800's artifacts, come over and well have a riot.  I can also take you on wooden wrecks. The whole wreck thing is seriously regulated here, and it makes sense. Some Yanks were caught in Lake Erie taking a nice bell from a shipwreck in Canadian waters. CCG took their boat and they gave them a fine.

Some thing about the ship on those pictures. Name - Wexford and she was built in Suderland England in 1883. Unfortunately she went down in the great storm of November 1913. The location is about 12km off Grand Bend, Ontario. That makes it Canadian waters in Lake Huron. To be exact lat 43deg 24.080' lon 81deg 53.322'.

The wreck was discovered in August of 2000 and I was lucky enough to dive it in May of 2001.

Lawrence

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Suderland or more correctly named Sunderland ;) is about 30 miles from where I live, I'll also bet there are wrecks in your waters built on the river Tees (I live a 1/2 mile from the banks of the upper Tees) but the Tees has a huge history of ship building dating back into the early 1800's and ships from this area travelled the world.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Lawrence D on 1:42 am on Dec. 10, 2002
The duck was the most attractive thing around
<span =''>Nice of you to say so, don't worry about it. You can send a 50x50 gif to [email protected] if you have your own avatar

1 - 20 of 22 Posts