YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There.

Thought I'd say a quick hello as this place seems like one of the liveliest forums I've seen in a while!
The Mrs and I are just doing our PADI Open Water course with Tiger Dive in Sheffield and are hoping to progress onto AOW then who knows! We've just completed our confined dives and are off up to Capernwray this weekend.

We're hoping to dive around the UK a few times this year, Mrs wants to see the Grey Seals at the Farne Islands, then we're off to Thailand in Sept for a few weeks, diving on the last couple of days around Koh Phangan etc. If we've not done them before we go we'll hopefully get some of our Speciality dives for for the AOW.

You'll all undoubtedly see me on here in the future, so, Hello!

·
Wreck Enthusiast
4,161 Posts
Hello from Barnsley too :)

Gotta agree with Mrs. D - I think you'll find Thailand slightly different to Capernwray! Still, can't fault you for getting a bit of diving in while you're out there!!

·
Mad as a Haddock
2,206 Posts
Welcome to YD.

Funnily enough I'm just listening to Wheels of Steel by Saxon.

MyM

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello from Barnsley too :)

Gotta agree with Mrs. D - I think you'll find Thailand slightly different to Capernwray! Still, can't fault you for getting a bit of diving in while you're out there!!
Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome :D
Is there much diving around South Yorks?
Currently on the hunt for some cheap dive computers to get us started, that's fun

·
"Available" (strictly in a professional sense)
314 Posts
Hi & Welcome to YD
The Farnes are worth the trip its was mine and the wifes first sea dive together and we still talk about it 18 yrs later!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, I dive with Barnsley BSAC Divers [they were the only ones that would have an exile from the south]

To state the obvious - there is no alternative for diving other than driving out of Barnsley!!... we go to St Abbs + Eyemouth [about 4hrs]; Farnes [about 3.5hrs]; this Sunday some are off to South Shields for the first time.
Sometimes I can even persuade the locals to go south [Bovisand].

If you ever fancy a chat we meet at the Metropole pool in Digby's Bar every Tuesday at 19.30 before going in the pool about 20.30....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Metropole? Is that near the Metrodome? ;D
We might pop down, it would be good to get to know some experienced divers and pick your brains!
Does the club have any spare kit to rent? We're not set up yet at all

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ah yes my mistake - The Metropole is a luxury hotel, whereas the Metrodome is ........................ not.

You would be most welcome to come for a chat, we have a broad range of experience [depending on who turns up] but so far we have not strayed into Rebreather or Technical diving. We just dive for fun.

As a club we only have limited equipment available [cylinders, regs, BCDs] but would be happy to point you to places to hire commercially [I did my first 2 years diving on hired kit] .

Careful though, we might try to poach you away from the clutches of PADI!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL, the metrodome's a good place to get married............. apparently.
We've no particular loyalty to PADI, was just easier at the time :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts