YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My name is Ian, I live in Hampshire, half way between Fareham and Southampton, and I'm hoping to get back into diving after an enforced exile of a little over 5 yrs.

Previously, I was a BSAC Dive Leader and an IANTD Advanced Nitrox diver, with 10 years total experience and somewhere in the region of 300 hours logged. I had done my Adv Nitrox course, done around 20 or 30 more dives and was getting into the swing of things when out of the blue I suffered a (non diving related) spontaneous Pneumothorax. I'll spare you the details, but suffice to say, I cannot reccommend the experience, especially not at the mercy of Yeovil District Hospital...

Having been told by my GP at the time that I would never dive again, I check his facts against the opinion of my agencies and/or the UK Sports Diving Medical Council (UKSDMC) and was delighted to discover that there was a route back in, albeit a tortuous one. Needless to say, several thousands' of pounds worth of dive kit was dutifully sold for a lot less than I had paid for it (on the orders of SWMBO) and the money wasted on Land Rovers for 5 years (against the orders of SWMBO).

The rules say that with a resolved spontaneous (not traumatic) pneumothorax and without a pleurectomy / pleuradhesis, I need to survive for 5 years free from reccurrence, have a chest CT, and then go through a full diving medical, including lung function tests. If all of this comes up good, I can be permitted to dive, but noting that there is a rather small increase in risk of recurrence, about the same as that enjoyed by smokers.

Well, with a significantly lighter wallet, I am now awaiting having the scan results reviewed by the diving doc, but the radiologist seemed happy, so fingers crossed!

I know that I will need to start out again small, but was going to try to get some dives in this summer, so wondered if anyone could reccommend a good club close by? I am quite happy to go back into a BSAC club, or to branch out as required (no pun intended).

Ian

Reactions: davebarber

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
TerryH on here is in Southampton BSAC, I'm a little further away in Weymouth. I'm sure there are more local clubs as well and no doubt others will be along to vouch for their club.

Good luck with the review and welcome to the board :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Ian,

Its good to hear that you can get back into diving.

If you are looking for a small club in Southampton then check out our website. http://www.southamptonbsac.moonfruit.com
We are a small bunch of keen divers, we have a 6.5m Rib with a 150hp outboard. The small number of us in the club versus the size of the boat means that we always get to dive when you want to.

Dale

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your warm welcome!

As things stand, I have had the CT Scan (which by the way was an extremely odd and very expensive way of spending half an hour!) but have yet to receive the results.

Once I get these, I then need to take them to the diving medical referee (Dr Adey in Woolston), have him check them over and do the rest of the tests and then I should be ready to shell out the next lump of cash to BSAC and to IANTD in order to re-register. Then the real spending begins!

Once I get the all clear, I'll post up a thread along the lines of "Diving after Spontaneous Pneumothorax - the 'Ignore it and hope it goes away' method" to act as a comparison to the Pleuradhesis / Pleurectomy thread. At the same time, I'll also start looking at clubs.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Thank you all for your warm welcome!

As things stand, I have had the CT Scan (which by the way was an extremely odd and very expensive way of spending half an hour!) but have yet to receive the results.

Once I get these, I then need to take them to the diving medical referee (Dr Adey in Woolston), have him check them over and do the rest of the tests and then I should be ready to shell out the next lump of cash to BSAC and to IANTD in order to re-register. Then the real spending begins!

Once I get the all clear, I'll post up a thread along the lines of "Diving after Spontaneous Pneumothorax - the 'Ignore it and hope it goes away' method" to act as a comparison to the Pleuradhesis / Pleurectomy thread. At the same time, I'll also start looking at clubs.
Hope it all goes well for you!

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...and today I received a letter from the nice folks at Spire, telling me that I have "no significant abnormality identified" in my lungs and as such it's off to see the BSAC medical referee I go!

Good news for me and for dive shop owners everywhere, bad news for the diving public and SWMBO!

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:

Yesterday I paid a visit to Dr David Adey in Woolston and he has signed me off a "fit to dive" chit!

I am in the process of writing up the whole experience, for the benefit of anyone else who may find themselves in this position in the future and will post a link here when I'm done.

Needless to say, this means that I now need to go through a process of negotiation with SWMBO (more in the other thread) about risk and diving practices, then about finance and finally about time off for good behaviour to go diving.

Thank you all for your help thus far and I look forward to meeting some of you fairly soon!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts