YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all,

I've just found this forum, infact I just found the britishdivers site yesterday, whose link brought me here. I'm a little apprehensive about posting as I've frequented another large  scuba forum which regularly has Flame Throwers. I'm a Yorkshire chap who has found a nice place to live in Edinburgh. I've just qualified as an Open Water diver with my partner with a local BSAC club. We've booked on a trip to Farnes with our club in August and are looking forward to a Menorcan dive holiday in September.

Hi to you all,

Dave C

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dcrampt @ July 24 2003,13:20)]Hi all,

I've just found this forum, infact I just found the britishdivers site yesterday, whose link brought me here. I'm a little apprehensive about posting as I've frequented another large  scuba forum which regularly has Flame Throwers. I'm a Yorkshire chap who has found a nice place to live in Edinburgh. I've just qualified as an Open Water diver with my partner with a local BSAC club. We've booked on a trip to Farnes with our club in August and are looking forward to a Menorcan dive holiday in September.

Hi to you all,

Dave C
A yorkshireman hey !...

BSAC trained  
  and what's wrong with PADI ?

The attitude of some people !!  

Just kidding.  
  I think you will find this site somewhat different to previous sites you have used.  Feel free to get in and start posting,  there have been a number of interesting discussions of late and I think it is fair to say that flames are pretty much non existence on here (But then we do have our own resident fireman  
)

Seriously welcome to the boards and feel free to ask any questions you might have,  we have even been known to have pretty open and friendly conversations around the different types of training provided by the different agencies without it ending up in a full on free for all.

Daz

P.S  Seems like there are more and more Englishmen living in Scotland these days.  

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Hi.

People on this site do not suffer the "I AM RIGHT SO YOU MUST BE WRONG" attitude that can be prevalent on other forums (or, as I learned from Dominic the other day - fora appears to be the correct plural of forum) and are prepared to discuss why they prefer their method of kit configuration etc.

Get stuck in.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Hi Dave,

I'm also an Englishman living in Edinburgh, so is Drifty another member of the boards.

Which BSAC club are you with?

You're more than welcome to come along to St Abbs or N Berwick with other members of the YD Ediburgh faction anytime. It'll help get you ready for the Farnes.

They're a friendly bunch here particularly the Scottish- based English guys like me and Peter K.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ July 24 2003,14:04)]They're a friendly bunch here particularly the Scottish- based English guys like me and Peter K.

If this carries on Gav I'm guessing not quite so friendly from a certain someone....

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dave,

A warm welcome to YD mate! Get in amongst it and enjoy. Feel free to get yourself onto any of the posted dive trips.

Cheers,

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Hello,

Well, thanks for making me most welcome. I'm diving and training with Divetech Gavin, dunno if your familiar with them. As for PADI/BSAC, I didn't really make any choice of one over the other, I infact had my first trydive with a PADI resort in Menorca. I just did a search on 'Diving' and 'Edinburgh' and Divetech was thrown up. As for St Abbs I'd love to join you sometime. I've not dived there yet. I have walked around the harbour for a few hours one day in May whilst waiting to get a training dive in, but the vis was nil and it was choppy so our organiser sacked it before we could get our feet wet.  Been to Loch long though a couple of times and found it a nice training dive site, even seeing a Conga eel.

Cheers,

Dave C

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ July 24 2003,14:04)]They're a friendly bunch here particularly the Scottish- based English guys like me and Peter K.
Look what happened last time you insulted me and went to Mull. All it took was for me to have a wee word in gods ear and he blew your twins off the back of your car.
You have been warned. I'm on first name terms with him.

Peter

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dave and Welcome
I've met a couple of the Divetech folk a while back, seems like a fairly "sorted" club (some clubs are very bad
indeed). Being from Tyneside I tend to dive more frequently with the YD Scottish faction  (or at least we start dives together, right Gav
 ) so may very well see you at Abbs sometime.

Re flaming, seems that people are polite here but can flame each other a bit over on Handbag.net (aka divernet) and never the twain shall meet...  
 but feel free to have a go at YD's perennial "whipping boy" Peter K, if for no other reason than he's a student

Chee-az
Steve

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dave,
            Apologies, I should have welcomed you but this mob really ask for it sometimes. My little list of "the ones to get" is getting longer every day.
 Anyway feel free to put your name down for a trip. And by a stroke of good luck, I just happen to be trying to fill up a second boat for the Sound of Mull at the start of Sept for YD.(See planned trips under all change). If you're interested let me know as you'll be able to put faces to names(not that you would want to see Gay-boy-Gavs face anyway. I don't know how Fiona puts up with it)

Perter

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

No seriously welcome...

You were just unfortunate to walk in during the middle of some good humoured banter at someones expense.

If you are happy to not get too offended at light hearted digs and put up with our sometimes strange sense of humour I am sure you will find it quite refreshing over here.

Daz.

P.S Peter, what happened to public enemy number one?  You two are extremely civil to each other lately.  In fact I quite miss the not so subtle digs.  What's your story Matt.

·
Resident Princess & 'Ned Redresser'
194 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ July 24 2003,17:03)]............ If you're interested let me know as you'll be able to put faces to names (not that you would want to see Gay-boy-Gavs face anyway. I don't know how Fiona puts up with it)

Peter
<font color='#736AFF'>Neither do I!!!

Mmm, not sure about the "Gay-boy" bit though!!  

Welcome Dave - as you may have gathered I am also in Edinburgh.

They are a friendly bunch here and fortunately we don't just talk/write about diving - we actually go out and dive together too  

Anyway, hope to see you some time soon.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ July 24 2003,17:03)]not that you would want to see Gay-boy-Gavs face anyway. I don't know how Fiona puts up with it)

Perter
<font color='#000F22'>Peter,

Getting bitchy about your heritage - typical Englishman!

BTW - are you really perter than most people - I've seen you and you just look a bit saggy to me!

See you in Mull.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dave,
Welcome,
Seems to be getting inundated with Edinburgh Folk here :) Another one here abeit "i'm proper scottish and that eh pal."
- who are up diving with up here?

cheers

Graham

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fi @ July 24 2003,21:15)]Mmm, not sure about the "Gay-boy" bit though!!  
Sorry Fiona,
               I was just carrying on from another thread about his less than masculine car. Perhaps I should have been clearer.

Peter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts