YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

HI ALL
JUST HOOKED ONTO THIS FORUM. I AM A NEWBIE TO THE FORUM AND TO DIVING. I DID MY O/W WHILST IN GRENADA IN JULY HAVING DONE A FEW DIVES IN THE CARIBBEAN ON PREVIOUS HOLIDAYS. I COULD NOT KEEP DOING RESORT COURSES, SO HAD TO BITE THE BULLET AND GET A BASIC QUALIFICATION WHILST OUT THERE. THE CARIBBEAN IS A LOVELY PLACE TO LEARN TO DIVE,BUT IT DID NOT PREPARE ME FOR CAPERNWRAY, ESPECIALLY DIVING IN A DRY SUIT MADE FOR A 6,4" FELLA ME BEING A SHORT **** 5,9". IT REALLY IS FUN GETTING THE AIR OUT FROM THE FEET AREA OF A DRY SUIT AS IT PUSHES YOUR FINS OFF YOUR FEET. THAT LITTLE EXPERIENCE CAUSED ME TO SPEND A FEW QUID AND INVEST IN MY OWN SUIT. I SHOULD RECEIVE THE SUIT IN THE NEXT WEEK OR SO AND WILL BE LOOKING TO SEE WHERE I WILL GO AND WHAT SUPERVISION/TRAINING TO UNDERTAKE TO CONVERT TO DRY SUIT DIVING SAFELY.
THIS IS OBVIOUSLY THE WRONG TIME OF YEAR TO START GETTING USED TO COOLER WATER DIVING, I GUESS CAPERNWRAY OR STONEY COVE ARE THE BEST OPTIONS ? ANY SUGGESTIONS OR ADVICE.
I LIVE BEVERLEY IN EAST YORKSHIRE BUT AM A NATIVE OF NEWCASTLE BUT LEFT THERE IN 1978 AND DONT GET UP THAT WAY VERY OFTEN. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO EXPERIENCING
MANY OF THE DIVING SITES AROUND THE UK BUT CANT GET NEXT YEARS HOLIDAY TO ST LUCIA OUT OF MY MIND,I WORRY THAT I AM GOING SOFT AND WILL REMAIN AT HEART A WARM WATER DIVER, MAYBE YORKSHIRE DIVERS CAN HELP WITH THAT ONE.

LOOK FORWARD TO ANY CONTACTS,CHAT AND ADVICE.

REGARDS

MARTIN MOORE

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Hiya Martin

Welcome to the board mate... first things first though, typing in capitals is considered bad practise and equates to SHOUTING!!!! So hit the caps lock and type away mate, ask any questions you feel fit and please feel free to get involved in any conversations debates etc.

BTW UK diving is soooooo much more than Cape or Stoney, soon we will introduce you to some wondrous stuff around the UK, especially a little favourite of many on this board, a place called St Abbs otherwise known as Divesite X.. why?? it's a long story..

Chat with you soon mate
Dave.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Welcome aboard - this is the RIGHT time to get used to cold water diving. The water is at its warmest now and will gradually cool until Feb/March. Agree with Dave - there are soooo many cool dives we can take you on (Abbs & the Lakes to name a few). Feel free to invite any mates to the boards and any questions, please ask. The ONLY stupid question is the one you didn't ask!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Aye Martin,

Any friend of Hobby's is friend of the board and forum.

Two very interesting passtimes you have there: Archo and Diving. Combining the two should make for some very interesting threads mate.

Welcome again and see you in the wet.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Actually Martin your combined interests might just make you a good candidate for the REDS setup, talk to SteveW and he'll fill you in on it.

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Welcome Martin, good to have you with us!  Look forward to reading your posts.  Take care.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Hiya Martin and welcome aboard.

If you ask the questions here you'll learn a lot.  There are a number of newbies (like me) here so don't feel alone on that score.

As for UK diving, in my experience you get a whole lot more atmosphere which, oddly, increases as the viz decreases.  Honestly, get yourself up to 'X' as Dave mentions above and get yerself amongst the boulders and kelp, its great fun and the range of beasties will keep you well amused.

As for the drysuit, if you ask nicely, you might find that one of the instructors that use the forum may offer you help you out and teach you the essentials.

Anyway good luck with the diving I'm sure you'll love it.

Tim

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Someone who actually lives in Yorkshire !!!

How's this help the Scottish takeover !

Seriously tho' welcome aboard ... hope to see you wet and cold soon.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Whey-hey! more north-easteners! :boozer: We'll soon hve enough to go kick those Scottish butts (again!) :lol2: :flame:

Welcome aboard marra! There's a small number of Sunderland/Newcastle/boro folk here.
Beverly, East Yorks? will have to look that up on a map,no idea where that is.
Chee-az
Steve
BTW there is a Marine Archaeology Project ran up here by some of the local clubs, I don't have the link to hand but will post it in Surface Interval for interested parties later on. The guys made some interesting discoveries, includig an unknown wreck in about 6m with plenty of original artefacts still with it.

(Edited by Steve W at 10:54 am on Nov. 7, 2002)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

Dave

Sorry about the capitals, I will speak a little quieter, thanks for all the welcomes folks.

regards

Martin Moore

1 - 15 of 15 Posts