YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Morning all. I've lurked around far too long. Time to take the plunge.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Top'o'the'mornin Stephen!  How long have you lurked?

Wanna tell us about yourself?  how long diving, level of experience, that sort of thing?  Aww go on.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Stephen,

Plunge away mate! A warm welcome to YD. Care to modify your profile or post here where you are in the UK - if you are in the UK?

Look forward to you postings and get youself on any of the posted dives mate - we've just had a top weekend at St Abbs!

Cheers and welcome aboard.

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

C'mon - tell!  Look forward to reading you, dive safely.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks for asking.

I generally don’t fill out profiles because anyone can put anything in them. It’s a bit like diving, you can better gauge someone’s experience by watching them kit up than by looking in their logbook and you can usually judge the merit or otherwise of a post by comparing it with your own knowledge and experience.

I’ve lurked for around 4 months. The trouble I have is that whilst I can access YD from my work desktop via a broadband connection I’m not allowed to post from there. So I have to rely on my ancient 486 PC with its 14.4 connection speed. I have to get up at 5am to light a small fire under it in order to raise enough  steam to post from 9.00 am on weekends.

I have already participated in a dive with fellow YD’ers, Frog, budgy, and Edward Haynes, which marks me down as a member of the Glaswegian branch.

This is my eighteenth year of diving but I wouldn’t claim to have done a huge number of dives due to family and work commitments. I’ve had the good fortune to work as a professional instructor at both home and abroad and the greater fortune to realise that there is sod all money in it. Nowadays all my instruction is done at a regional level. That and being on the ITS Staff for BSAC means, frustratingly, that sometimes the few weekends I have for diving get eaten up by training commitments but the upside is that ITS work is fun and rewarding.

When I do get to go diving my preference is for wrecks but the longer I’m out of the water the lower the standard of dive I’m prepared to get out of bed for.

That’s about it really, I’ll not post regularly and sometimes I’ll have my ‘happy hat’ on but generally I’ve no axes to grind. My philosophy of posting is ‘would you say that to their face in a pub?’ and that of course depends on my beer level.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts