YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Formally known as "Dive In Paphos"
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all just a quick post to introduce myself. I have been diving for nearly 17 years now. Just returned back to the UK (lancs) after teaching in Cyprus and have a couple of months before I go back to gainful employment.

Compliments on the site everyone I am very impressed with the everyone can help attitude.

Unfortunately I sold my dry suit last year (thinking that I was not going to need it) so unless a lottery win comes quite sharpish it looks like there will be no diving for me until I go away again!

Ok guys take care safe diving and Peter K. glad to hear that you are feeling better.

Jon
(another poor diver)

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Welcome - hope you get yourself a suit soon.  Have you tried e-bay?  They might have something.  Dive safely as and when you get back to it.  :froggy:

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey John,

welcome aboard mate! The Wanderer returns...

Glad you like the site. Just coz you're out of water at the moment doesn't make a difference, please feel free to get in amongst and contribute.

Having lived in Cyprus, you'll be ideally placed to do us some dive reports of what's on offer over there - and no, we NEVER get tired of hearing about the Xenobia!!! A lot of us have never dived on her, so post away!

Teaching? SCUBA or school kids? Where is Lancs? There are a number on here from your neck of the woods, so as and when you can get back in the water, let us know and we can hook up for a dive.

Cheers,

·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Hi Bren,

thanks for your reply mate. I am based in Leigh lancashire at the moment.

Yes for my sins I was teaching scuba in Cyprus and yes the most awesome dive was the zen. All in all, (as some of you guys know) Cyprus really only has a few decent sites. In the Ayia Napa area there are probably only 3 decent dives.

The caves- max depth 12-14m some nice little swim throughs (very sparce amounts of coral are growing on the roofs) quite a dramatic exit through a couple of blow holes!

The chapel- max depth 25 nice site with a lot of sponge and quite a bit of life grouper, moray, octopus scorpion fish etc (typical med but some life can be hard to spot due to fishing)A bit of a treasure trove as well as a lot of booze cruises anchor here and the crews encourage the pax to "chapel jump" on a good day whilst doing your stops you can easily pick up a bit of cash jewellry etc that has been jettisoned from peoples pockets/person etc ;-)

The canyon- max depth 25m An arduos site to get in and out of climb down an old piece of angle iron that resembles a ladder. Swim down and through small canyon in to the open water. Shed loads of life here (plenty of rubbish too the locals tip here) however always octopus, I spotted my first cypriot buuterfly blemy here. As well as lobster and big big conch when you do your stops on the way back in. Depending on who you dive here with, you can do a reef about 200 mtrs roughly 240 degrees from the entrance to the canyon nice big moray and a lot of bigger fish. Worthwhile IMHO.

Then we have the zen, what can I say. I think I had roughly 100 odd dives on it this year. While 95% of the time I was working it still left me feeling overawed every time. When briefing the dive I made it a point of letting everyone know what a site it was when seeing it for the first time. So subsequently people wouldnt hit the side after 3 mins and have sucked 60 bar :))

The times that I did dive it for myself we managed quite a bit of penetration (middle decks, cabins engine room etc)It did sometimes bring a welcome relief only having my buddy to watch out for.

Ok guys I know this sounds like a bit of a trip report but I was in a dilemma on where to post this, so the obvious won.

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
106 Posts
Imported post

Jon

I am away in Florida quite soon.  Plan to be back on 3 March and visiting the chill waters of Capernwray on 8/9 March.  If you feel the need to get wet, I am sure that I can sort a drysuit out for you.

Look forward to meeting up with any YDers venturing out that weekend also.  

Best regards

Kev

·
Registered
21 Posts
Imported post

John
I'm based in Warrington so feel free to contact me when you want to get wet. Even if just testing out your new drysuit when you finally get one.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

Welcome John,
Yes diving makes most of us poor. As you see you have had one offer already, a friendly place eh !
Look forward to catching up with you when you get sorted.

·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies, Just got back from a week away, (No diving though ;-(( )

My drysuit situation has not changed yet still searching ebay daily and have not managed to win a bid at a decent price yet.

Phil, are you the instructor from Capenwray who was selling a Ruby? If so apologies mate I lost your numbers before I went to the Maldives. So still not fixed up with a reg for the little lady.

It looks like I may have found myself some part time work teaching before I am away again so may be solvent some time in the near future ;-)))

Ok Guys take care safe diving

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

Hi Scubajon,
Yes it was me selling the Rubys, they seem to be jinxed, I get plenty of interest then nothing seems to happen. I have more or less decided to keep them as spares for the warm weather.
Good luck with your search for a drysuit, try divernet I think there was a school selling a shed load of gear off.

·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Weheyyyy ! I am now the proud owner of a Northern Diver Divemaster dry bag.

Managed to get wet last weekend in Capenwray (nice and fresh).

Am off to LIDS Sat+Sun so will be back in the water next week.

Thanks for all your offers of help guys.

Take care and safe diving.

Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts