1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hello,
I`m interested in having a taster in scuba diving, I live
in Hull and would like to know where any courses take place?
I`m actually going abroad on hols in a couple of months
but am unsure if to do the PADI introductory course there,
or an introductory here and a more advanced course there?
Thanks
Carl

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Hi and welcome!  I can't advise you on courses, sorry, but Bren, who seems to be the Font of All Knowledge will likely have the correct answer.  I'm sure loads of others will be able to help you on that one too.  Dive safely and post a trip report when you get back!!!  

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Carl,

Hull you say.  I think if I remember correctly, that is Kev Martins neck of the woods.

Kev is on these boards and I am sure he can sort you out with a course.

Personally I would recommend you learn over here and then actually enjoy your hols and dive rather than going abroad and spending holiday time doing theory etc.  In my experience it is also cheaper and the standards are generally much better in the UK than abroad.  (Not to say thay are poor abroad but it is much more of a conveyor belt system).

(edit :- Just found some details on Kev's school for you : http://www.yorkshire-divers.co.uk/cgi-bin....;t=2210 )

Daz,

I do speak from personal experience,  I qualified in the Dominican Republic many years ago and it was not until I got my wife to take a OW course in the UK a year later that I realised how many corners had been cut on my course (or maybe they were just a bit more thorough over here)

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Hi Carl,hope you'll find all you need too here.Ask away  

Daz is right,particularly if you intend(or may find yourself)doing any diving in UK waters it's certainly advisable to learn over here as the conditions(and hence training) can be quite different.
The other side of the coin however(I'm not picking arguments lads honestly  
)is that as an initial experience to be enjoyed and remembered(fondly),it's likely to be much more enjoyable in the sun with nice clear vis and things to see etc.(You will find such wonders in the UK but it's not always guaranteed!).
There are many people who try diving while on holiday,get completely hooked after seeing what it can offer,come back,do more training and continue.There are also many divers who learn over here and wonder what the fuss is all about.
I don't know reallly,there are no right and wrong answers,I suppose if you want to dive period and have decided as such then do as Daz says,if on the other hand you just want to try it to see if you enjoy it,then do an introductory course abroad,after all the aim of those courses is to get you into diving so hopefully it should be good for you!
HTH,Hobby.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Or option 3.

Do a try dive,  if you like it do a OW referal course - (All theory and pool work in the UK and your 4 open water dives abroad).  Possibly the best of both.

Daz

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

In Hull there is an excellent BSAC club with all levels of diver.
John Dunwell is the contact and he was recently the regional coach phone 01482 503897

I think they're called the Hull Dolphins. visit www.Bsac.org and you will see they are promoting free trydives at the moment

I'm not too far away in Goole so if you don't have any luck with them contact me and I'll organise a try dive for you.

Hope that Helps

WL

PS oops By the way welcome to the best no BS board on the web !

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>All good points above, lots of pros and cons to consider, first is do you see yourself as a holiday diver or year-round diver? I know, it's hard to say without a frame of reference.

Speaking as a BSAC diver myself, the downside of the BSAC way is that it can take a bit of a long time to get through the basic training, basically because it covers a lot more ground than e.g. Padi OW, and is more appropriate for UK diving.
However, Padi OW will get you diving quicker BUT with lighter pockets (AIUI about £300 for basic course plus hire of kit, but this varies a lot from place to place), and you'll need to learn abit more to be safe in UK waters. No shortage of places abroad to learn, Padi are everywhere.

WL is spot on with advice on the Try-dives, it'll cost you about £5-£15 depending on the individual club's arrangements, if you're keen and the club are into their training in a big way you could get your BSAC Ocean diver qualification in a couple of months. This way, if you're one of the minority who have unsurmountable obstacles to becoming a diver (e.g. severe ear problems or hang-ups about breathing underwater) you won't have wasted a ton of money.

Which reminds me, check out this link to see if you have any medical contra-indications to diving  UK Sport Diver Medical Self-Certification form

Chee-az and welcome to the boards
Steve

·
Registered
106 Posts
Imported post

Carl

Welcome to Yorkshire Divers.

As Daz mentioned, I have a shop and a school in Hull and would be more than happy to discuss your requirements for learning to dive.

Call the shop on 501488 or come and see us at 825 Hessle Road.

Best regards

Kev

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Carl,

You look to be in very good hands with the above advice already mate. Welcome to the boards. Ask any questions you'd like - there are NO stupid questions on here. All members will be more than happy to help where/if they can.

Good luck in your course choice and enjoy both your intro and advanced course. My advice would be to learn here in UK conditions - EVERYTHING after that is relatively straight-forward when you hit the blue seas overseas. You also support you local dive economy in doing so, which can only benefit you (and others) in the short, medium and long term in your diving career.

Welcome again and look forward to maybe hooking-up for a dive some time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

Thanks for all the info everyone! much appreciated,
I`ve not been about the last couple of days thats why I`ve
not replied sooner!

Thanks again

Carl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts