YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hello all,

Greetings from Mauritius. I know that's not the most southerly southern shandy drinker you've got here, but it's got to help the average right?

I've been "lurking" for a while through not having anything intelligent to say. Still don't have anything intelligent to say, but then I noticed that someone else had nicked my real name, "Tom" on the flimsiest of grounds, I suppose, that it's his name too, so I thought I'd better get in amongst it before it's too late.

Qualified in June as BSAC Ocean Diver, now 19 dives in so still got my L plates on I guess.

best wishes

tas

PS Thank you all for keeping me informed and entertained when I should be working!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hi Tom / Tas,

Well I can think of worse places to be than Mauritius !!

It's nice to know we are keeping you amused, most of us don't even try it just kind of happens !!

Daz

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Hi Tas, well... if you were posting to make us jealous, you've succeeded

OK lads YD Troop gig to Maritius, I'm sure Tas won't mind the great unwashed crashing at his place  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Tas,

Welcome to the party mate. Ask away and we'll help where we can.

Cheers,

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

OK, there's a little rule I have that has been introduced on another thread. From now on, you will ave to refer to Mauritius as Grimsby. When you tell us about your nice diving, I like to pretend that everyone else's highlight of the week was seeing a perch in Stoney Cove, or that they actually found the wreck in 2m viz on a boat out of the north of england.

Please help to reduce the sadness in this little Diggery heart by pretending. Just for me. Then we can be friends.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Aug. 04 2003,13:46)]Hi Tas, well... if you were posting to make us jealous, you've succeeded

OK lads YD Troop gig to Maritius, I'm sure Tas won't mind the great unwashed crashing at his place  
Jealous?

Last weekend all diving around the whole island was cancelled because the sea was too rough, and it snowed on the nearby island of Reunion. Meanwhile, back in Blighty it's 30+ degrees!

All YD's very welcome here. The Mauritius Underwater Group, MUG, has a BYO bbq every Tuesday night. We're technically BSAC, but in fact we don't give a stuff as long as you dive safe.

However, if you're going to come and stay there are 2 conditions: you have to bring Digger as the man needs to get out of Stoney, and you can't bring anyone else called Tom (

).

best wishes,

tas

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ Aug. 05 2003,00:31)]OK, there's a little rule I have that has been introduced on another thread. From now on, you will ave to refer to Mauritius as Grimsby. When you tell us about your nice diving, I like to pretend that everyone else's highlight of the week was seeing a perch in Stoney Cove, or that they actually found the wreck in 2m viz on a boat out of the north of england.

Please help to reduce the sadness in this little Diggery heart by pretending. Just for me. Then we can be friends.
Digger,

Not Grimsby, Margate  
(already visited that thread)

can we be friends now?  

tas

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

OK, got a mate who's got a load of family in Margate? (I'm starting to forget the code myself now) and I'll be looking to go diving when I get there. It's quite steep to get flights, surely?

I'll be in touch. I don't care the price, I need blue water. Soon. Now we can be friends. You have got the code mastered, and now I feel like you're making an effort to help me through this difficult time.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tom @ Aug. 05 2003,07:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (tas @ Aug. 05 2003,06:38)]you can't bring anyone else called Tom (

).
OI!
Right OK! From now on Tom you're called Bob. Just to keep Tas, or is it Tom, happy.
Digger, I reckon if you get the tides right you could get kitted up and drift to <s>Maurtitius, Grimsby,</s> Margate in a month or so.

Oh, <s>Tas</s>, Tom, welcome to YD. If you ever want to try some really warm, crystal clear diving see Digger. He knows all the good sites.

Peter

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Aug. 05 2003,13:40)]Right OK! From now on Tom you're called Bob. Just to keep Tas, or is it Tom, happy.

Peter
Now we're farming.

I'd heard that YD was a friendly bunch, but to go so far as to change somebody else's name just to make a new arrival happy - that's quality.

Peter, I'd go so far as to say that you are a real Scot!

tas

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tas @ Aug. 05 2003,14:36)]
Right OK! From now on Tom you're called Bob. Just to keep Tas, or is it Tom, happy.

[Snip]

I'd heard that YD was a friendly bunch, but to go so far as to change somebody else's name just to make a new arrival happy - that's quality.

Peter, I'd go so far as to say that you are a real Scot!
Right then. I can see there are a couple of things that need sorting out here.

If I'm not very much mistaken, *I* am the newer arrival here (July v April, I believe) and thus most deserving of a break. In fact, Tas, having had several months in which to lay claim to the name Tom, you have signally failed to do so.

The only conditions under which I would accept the name 'Bob', would be if Tas signed as 'Samantha' and Peter K became 'Mr Potato Head' (name changed by deed poll, jpg of driving license required as evidence).

But let it not be said that I am unreasonable. I am prepared to make concessions. I am willing to be known as Tom B (the initial of my surname). Tas may adopt some other variant of the name Tom, and as a gesture of gratitude must always carry my tanks to the boat if we ever meet. And Peter, as punishment for his meddling, must as Tas suggests answer to the name of Scott (or Mr Potato Head if preferred).

Fair enough?

This is worse than that Hull thing. Sorry, I mean Sharm.

Tom
(The Original and Best)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

All right - enough already. "Samantha" sounds nice, but better for a woman I think.

"Tas" it is, and tat's enough of tat.

sorry, <s>bob</s>Tom

tas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.