YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

i thought it was about time to say hello,
passed my padi ow in september (warm water) and have 4 logged dives (have to start somewhere) the wife finally said yes to a course on holiday, i'm from wakefield so don't hold that against me, would appreciate any information on clubs that can be recommended
that are local to me
neal

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Neal @ Jan. 12 2004,13:35)]would appreciate any information on clubs that can be recommended
that are local to me
neal
Hey Neal,

Welcome to YD mate. And with regards to your question above - you're in one (a 'club') and it's called YD!  

Tell us what you need (training, kit, buddies etc.) and we'll certainly help and point you in the right direction where we can!

Cheers,

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Neal clubs are good no doubt about it.  But
? what do you want from a club?  I ask because there are a number of folk including the ALL POWERFUL Heads-up that live in Wakefield that I am sure would be happy to help you along.

Other than that welcome aboard and get yourself stuck in - and if you can get along to the trip dwon to Stoney Cove in Feb - see threads in Planned Trips.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Neal,

Ditto in the clubs front. I'm in a BSAC club in Edinburgh, who trained me, but if you joined BSAC you'd have to convert to BSAC quals. Do you really need to do that? This said i think there is a club that meets at Rothwell Swiming pool, though can not vouch for the club and how nice/anal they might be. There is another club in Kippax, again BSAC. They have a web site but I can't remeber the address. A quick search on google will pull up a result. Met up (by chance) with a couple of folks from Kippax BSAC and they seemed pretty nice. Can't vouch for them, make your own mind up.

You could do as most others have said and hook up with a few members from your local area through YD and just take courses, through these contacts, through YD online or with a local school.

Dive safe,

Dave C (formerly from Garforth)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

hi neal,
welcome to diving and yd i hope you enjoy both.
as for your club question although i dont live in your area i would suggest a trip to your local diving area,harbour,marina quarry and see who goes out diving and more importantly who looks like their enjoying it.
join them.
cheers
barrie

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Neal

A club is a good idea in your position with only a few dives, unless you want to pay more and get some diving/qualifications with a PADI school. It will cost you a bit to join a BSAC club but then the training is virtualy free (usualy pay for books etc.) so this could be good, just watch out for the politics in some of them.

As mentioned, you'r making a good start by logging on here, you'll get loads of advice (ignore the sex stuff from Porg) and if you'r up for it, get a bit of diving through the trips or buddy sections.

Enjoy.

James

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

a big welcome mate form south yorks if you want to know about diving this is the place!!!! catch you on the boards some time  
best wishes leigh

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

thanks for the warm welcome:;): and the advice, i have decided to get some training in on dry suit use (padi) and will be visiting a place near blackpool or there abouts very soon. unfortunatly because of work i will not be able to dive after that untill the summer, still comming to grips with all the basic phrases and terms that are used on here! forgot to say that i learn't to dive with calypso diving in lanzarote and at all times felt safe and was treated very well by staff their ,anyway thanks again everyone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts