YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Here's the necessary......

likes wrecks (when I've got a wee laminated map with me), rocks and fish, cuckoo wrasse are cool!

doesn't like congers....

Dived out of Oban last weekend.  If any of you were on the Breda on Monday, apologies for nearly ramming you with the rib.  That was the first time I've driven that one in heavier sea and it sucks!

Off to Ullapool next weekend and can't wait!  My favourite place.

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Hi and welcome.  Scottish eh? Glaswegian Frog here.  They allow all sorts on here, (shut it Mark W) we're friendly.  Enjoy, drop me a PM if you want to dive.  I'm still waiting on my suit mtm from LIDS.  Dive safely.  Ribbet.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Vic,

Welcome to YD mate.

We've plenty of Jockanese here, so feel at home - we've even some English living north of the border.....although they're doing a 3 to 5 stretch at Her Majesty's Pleasure in Barlinnie

Feel free to get yourself on a dive with us - see 'Planned Trips'. Hope to see you soon on a YD Wet.

Cheers and dive safe.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Vic

Hope you have a good time on your dive, join in the banter so we can have a laugh at the English.

James  

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>vics,

welcome to yd,see you enjoyed a few toddies before posting well i hope you did

cheers
barrie

any offence caused is purely a figment of your imagination.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ April 22 2004,17:24)]Hey Vic,

Welcome to YD mate.

We've plenty of Jockanese here, so feel at home - we've even some English living north of the border.....although they're doing a 3 to 5 stretch at Her Majesty's Pleasure in Barlinnie

Feel free to get yourself on a dive with us - see 'Planned Trips'. Hope to see you soon on a YD Wet.

Cheers and dive safe.
Hey!! We'll have less of that Mr Tierney, and anyway now The Bar-L's got this open door policy (re; James McCormick), divings becoming a lot easier.

Edit:

Sorry vics, I forgot to say welcome. I'm sure you'll fit in here very well. We have a nice bunch up here. Gavin Yates, dougie paddler, Drifty and myself here in Edinburgh. Peter K, Frog, Angus McNasty and Budgie in Glasgow and Airmonster in the middle.

Hope I've not missed anyone out.

Dave C

·
Registered
101 Posts
Imported post

You missed me out Dave. But I don't mind given I've not been diving for months
so I can't really complain.
Welcom to the forum Vics, enjoy. (I agree, Ullapool rocks)
Ben

PS. Dave, guess who just booked his tickets to Buenos Aries

·
Registered
19 Posts
Imported post

Hi Vics – your about as new to this thing as I am, but if your north of the wall it cannae be too bad!

You say your up to Ullapool next weekend….who are you diving with or are you bringing up a squad and boat? We’ve just got our webpage sorted out and online – have a look in Surface Interval under the heading of “new club website”

I am probably a bit biased but the diving up in Wester Ross really is second to none and if you’re into wrecks then The Fairweather V really is worth a visit.

Unfortunately mind, a fish farm company are trying to put cages within 500m of the Fairweather which will just destroy one of the best wrecks in Scotland.  The vis here at times is good enough to be able to see the entire 103ft length of the wreck and all this will be destroyed if the fish farm goes ahead. Thankfully, Highland Council have refused planning permission, we have been doing our best to try and protect the wreck and all support that people can give is much appreciated, if anybody else readint his post has dived her then you’ll know for yourself there’s not many that’ll beat her in Scotland – right that’s the rant over!……as for the Jambo, dive that if you want but sadly she is upside down –nuff said!!!!

All the best

Dan

G

·
Imported post

I am coming up next month with the RIB and a crowd, alright 4 of us on one boat maybe 8 of us on two, to dive the area again. I quite fancy the Jambo as she sank right after the last trip.
Probably bump into various members as Andy from the hostel is related to someone in the club (Stewart?) and have talked to Darrell plus intend to visit Scott and Robyn on the Goldseeker to say hello.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Imported post

unfortunatly because the jambo lies upside down there is not a huge amount to see apart from a few holes that have been put into to hull to allow air to escape during the salvage. the damge at the bow is obvious - well it would be after hitting the rocks at 15 knots....you would have a bit of a lump on your head your if you nutted somebody at that speed wouldn't you! seriously though it's worth maybe a visit cos it's so new and to date not many folk have dived her (there's no marker on her any more). the wheelhouse and superstructure have all been smashed and squashed into the seabed, haven't yet been for a serious explore underneath and the zinc sulphate and cadium has not all been salvaged and lies literally everywhere on the wreck and seabed which can stir up the vis pretty fast.

Dan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

hi dan

at the last count there's 12 divers, two ribs and 3 dogs coming up this weekend.

we're camping, have the midgies arrived yet?

don't suppose there's a dog friendly pub in Ullapool??

vics

·
Registered
19 Posts
Imported post

Hey Vics,
Thankfully so far those little midgy bar stewards are still in hibernation, or larvae or what ever it is they do before they make your summer hell. Was diving out at priest island last weekend, it was terrific, vis was about 15+m, in and out of all the surge gullies, tunnels and caves....it was just amazing!

As for the the pubs, they're all friendly. you  can sit outside The Seaforth (by the Calmac office), The FBI at the other end of shore street and the Arch too.

If I spy a bunch of divers, i'll pop over

Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts