YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just been on a website and the author suggested that wearing a hard hat whilst cave diving was asign of ineptitude (his point being that you should not need it if you have correct buoyancy control).

Fair point re: buoyancy but IMHO I'd say a hat is a must for cave/cavern dives....for the following reasons:

1. Why not wear one?

2. Torches.

3. Orientation problems in silt out.

4. Buoyancy problems, whether due to malfunction or error.

I'll try and find the site again if anyone is interested. It was quite interesting.

Thoughts welcome on the above...

Regards.

Graham

·
Registered
330 Posts
Imported post

Hi I am a keen caver and diver I feel that a helmet is a must for over head enviornments ,when in caves its very very black and even with the most powerfull lights ,you will find the cave roof changes shape and size  and walls also ,bits stick out where you least expect it ,  and the passages close down, in caves the darkness is different from other enviornments and you head will at some point make contact with the rock that you did not think was there .
the helmet is a vital peace of equiptment for anyone venturing into this enviornments .
Fiona.

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>The old chestnut comes around from time to time.  The definative and amusing put down to the official line can be found herehere.

Most US cave (i.e. spring) divers don't wear helmets unless they are diving sidemount or using a scooter.  Most European (incl. UK) cave divers wear helmets.  It not so much about head protection - a thick neoprene hood serves to cushion the thick skulls of those that don't use helmets - but also as a platform to carry lights so as to keep your hands free.

The problem with helmet mounted lights is that you get increased back scatter, you can blind your buddy when you look at them and you cannot signal with your lights.  The last two arguments are a not completely true - don't shine your lights directly at someone and you can still do light signals by moving your head rather than your hand.  The issue with back scatter can be a problem and many cave divers will remove a torch from their helmet and hand hold it.  However, in really poor vis you might want both hands free to follow the dive line.

Duncan

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Imported post

Maybe if you were in the US you could get away without a helmet but if you are diving in british caves more often than not you will be caving underwater not diving in a cave I.E you will be riggling and squirming just as much as any normal caver just that you will be under water in SCUBA kit with no direct surface access you will be lucky if you dive in the uk without banging your head. also you can mount your lights on it.

Note: i once deformed a helmet in  a cave while taking a stroll and all I did was walk into a low bit of roof i couldnt see because of the shadow. its not just the dive thats dangerous it is the carry in.  That helmet was duly replaced later that day. It could have been my head.

wear a helmet.

DD

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

What about wearing a helmet whilst diving a 7 metre deep wooden tea clipper on a sandy bottom, off the south west coast of Anglesey, in 4+ metres vis, in bright sunshine. Helmet nessessary or not?

Dave (obviously not for me as I'm not that techy) C

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Imported post

probably not that would be personal preferance

1 - 6 of 6 Posts