YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

The choice I have is to either buy a stobe setup for my Oly 5050 and PT015 housing or sell the lot and use funds towards buying a Canon EOS 300D with Ikelite housing.

I do like my Oly but, well, the EOS is an SLR, with interchangeable lenses, mmmmmmmm.  And, I already have an EOS film camera so can use the lenses from that.

Oh dilemma, surely there must be some-one out there with sage advice.....

.....or a wad of readies to buy the Oly. (+housing, + filters + dry conversion lenses for macro, WA and telephoto) and thus help my decision making.  

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

£600.  I can also throw in a tripod I've found.

The filters are: Flourescent for indoor use, UVA (Use as a general lens protector) and a polarising filters (useful for reducing reflections and intensifying colours).  The filters and lenses need an adapter tube which is also supplied.  The lenses come in a protective polycarb box.

The whole lot is less than 1 year old so still under warranty until May.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>So you weren't kidding when you said a "wad" of readies!

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

LOL.

Tho, even at the prices today you wouldn't get this for less than £800.

Looks like the strobe option for me then - be warned tho Mark, If I do go this route I'll be an even bigger PITA to dive with...

Before: Find subject, line up, focus shoot and go.
After:  Find subject, line up, point strobe, focus, shoot, change settings, movie strobes, focus, shoot, repeat ad nauseum until the shot is right - or get booted by buddy.

It you were to buy the camera then we can both be boring snappers

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

So which strobe will it be
??. I got the Ikelite DS-125 + slave, its great but expensive (about a thou in the UK but if you order from the US it came to £750 with VAT/import duty etc.) Other option is the S&S YS90DX but I have heard that the US side is going belly up.

Try www.digitaldiver.net - they did a major strobe study.

Contact me if you want any info

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Hi Kirky,

unfortunately during a spell of unbearable temptation I splashed out on the EOS300D - believe me I was not popular with the wife.

But, it is great, the autofocus is very quick and I can easily flick over to manual focus as well as zoom in and out as quick as you like.  In fact, it's just like using a film SLR, picture quality is excellent.  I'll post some cf the 5050 later.

So, now I really do have to sell the 5050 and housing.  I get a strobe later in the year after the new housing.  

From what I can tell from that strobe article the DS 125 isn't too wise a buy - but, I would rather see the same comparison done in real conditions especially in waters closer in codition in those we dive in.  I think the 125 would then really show its quality.

·
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>So you lost your head and splashed out on the Canon. I bet Josie is non too pleased at all! (So I won't be expecting you to put down a deposit for the Red Sea trip just yet then!)

So now you're up to your neck in it from the Mrs, are you still looking for £600 for the Oly, or will you be a little flexible (spurred on by life preserving desperation!).

·
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Tim - you are a jammy (nay brave) man for getting the set up !!!

The 125 strobe faired Ok but as you say, the article came out with the INONS on top. In UK (and abroad) the 125 has done me very well and is better than the 50 in our grottier waters.

Are you still selling the C5050 + housing and are you getting a housing for the Canon ??

·
2,228 Posts
Imported post

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooohhhh

Just checked out the camera - what a sexy little minx it is !!!!!. Where did you get it and what did you get with it ??

Also checked out the housing at Ike`s site - a beauty !!!! - hope they get it on stream soon

Now I`m thinking...............!!!!!

Will you post some pivs and let us know how you get on with it....just interested..............Now where is that credit card...........

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

As soon as the camera is sold, that housing is mine.

I checked out as many reviews of the thing as possible before commiting and I've been lusting ever since.  It really is great - no shutter lag.  Thats right, no lag   AT ALL!!!  No more photos of fish tails and arses!

Let this be a warning to any future buddies - when I get set with this set-up I am going to be the most boring buddy EVER!

·
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Not necessarily. With a decent camera you might not need to be doing quite as much faffing about to get a half decent shot! The damn thing is so expensive - surely you just need to carry it about and it takes all the pictures on its own!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

'Major Dilemma' - isn't he in the same Battalion as 'Captain Calamity'??  

I'll get me great-coat....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Imported post

Hi There
I already the OLY 50 and a housing but would be keen to buy anything else you may have. Also any advice on the OLY 50 ?

Thanks

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

Advice - uh sell it and buy a c5050 and PT015!  NOW!

Ok so your camera's new - goto www.digitaldiver.net read through the archives and you'll find lots of advice for your camera.

I'd like to sell the lot as a package but if it doesn't go i'll sell it seperately.

·
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Tim,

May have a solution for you on that one! Sent you a PM. If I manage to get you out of the poo with Josie I expect big efforts on the Red Sea front!

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

I don't mind being in trouble with Josie - thats Dcrampts wife!  Whereas my wife, Jo, could be the cause of some real trouble - like withdrawing all sexual favours!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts