YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I have just bought a new regulator set, Apexs TX 100 main and a TX 40 Octopus, this comes with the Apexs first stage A Clamp..  The problem is it wont fit the pillar of my tank..  I have a 15L Faber 2 years old that can also be converted to Din Fitting by removing the insert with a Allen key, (you know what I mean)
The regulator set will fit the pillar of my pony with no problem. Is it because the tank can be used as A clamp or Din the top is bigger..  I don’t know can someone help me with this..

Thanks

Sean

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Yes

Send it back and ask for a din fitting

Din is much better than A clamp but that said i have had a similar problem with my Ocianic regs in that they woulden fit some A clamp/Din conversion pillars. Not much you can do about it apart from atack the valve with a file.

Tell the dive shop the problem. Blame them as they should have warned you and get it swaped for din.

Mark Chase

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

The fact it's a convertible valve shouldn't make it any more difficult to fit an A-clamp over it. All valves on the market today are convertible. When my TX100 was A-clamp it fit on convertible valves no problem.

Are you sure the insert is screwed right in, and the A-clamp screw is right out?

Check the valve neck for a pressure rating - it's not unheard of for oddball valves to be put on cylinders. Mate of mine has a 232bar pony with a 270 bar valve on it. It's a complete sod to try and fill it, the A-clamp insert is too short and neither of our DIN whips will fit (232 is too short, 300 is too long)

Failing that, Mark's advice to swap to DIN isn't a bad idea. Or if you're determined to stick with A-clamp, you could get the valve replaced... but it's REALLY weird that you can't fit it on..

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Dominic
Yes I've checked the insert. I can remove it from the pillar and the clamp fits, however un like my other set of regs I can't un-screw the a clamp,  I can't take them back I got the six months old of a mate that had to stop diving..  I think the best this is to take it to my LDS and see what they have to say.. I know it fits some tanks as I have dived with him using them..

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Okay... just on the off-chance... are you sure the insert is going in the right way round..?

It's only about £30 to get your regs converted to DIN, by the way. I had my TX100 converted to DIN..

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I do have a cylinder valve for sale if interested,  I think it is M25.  But at the risk of doing myself out of a sale I would also recommend getting it swapped or converted to DIN  

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

No its not a prctical aplication problem. My Ocianic just would not fit on some of the A clamp cylinders offered to me in Egypt. The tapor at the back of the clamp was too acute to go over the din insert and the piller head. The differance in the casting was fractional but it was enough to make it impossable.

I was told by one of the dive guided that a centre had to get rid of it's Ocianic A clamp regs and go back to scuberpro because of the problem.

Aparently all the cylinder valves  causing the problem were old so how old is your 15ltr??

Mark Chase

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Ok I have now sorted the problem I took my tank and regs to my LDS Nick at Wittering Divers. As soon as they seen it, they new what the problem was.  It’s the nut in the A clamp that contains the filter that fits into the valve, about 18 months ago Apexs changed the size of the said nut to fit some of the newer tanks (reduced the size of it).
That why the regs fitted my pony and an older 12L..  Anyway the outcome is Nick rank Apexs and they said sorry it is a know problem and have sent the revenant part FOC to the shop today and it takes all of 30 seconds to fit.  All in all a good result.  And thanks to all for advice and help..  

5 days and counting to Sharm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts