YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok was wondering if any of you have any info or advice that could help.

Basicaly to cut a long story short, Iv not been able to dive since March, and I was having problems before then.

Iv got what is know as Eustation Tube Dysfuntion (my Eustation tubes inflame, and close off) At the moment they are like it most of the time. I have been to see an ENT Doctor, who has tried all the medical routes, such as decongestants, steaming, Steriods, and anti inflmaitaires, as well as anti biotics (as this problem arised from diving on an undiagonsed ear infection.)

The next step is to have a gromit put in, which will mean no diving for a year from the date that is is put in, so I could be out of the water for a long time, and its not a certainty that the gromit will work either.

If anyone knows of any alternatives, even if they have not been medicaly proven e.g herbal remedies, please let me know. Any help or advice will be much appreciated as I just want to be able to dive again.

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
funny old thing, i've just been to my docs about yet another ear infection. and another round of drops, what your saying worries me but i've been looking at the IST Pro ear mask cos theres no damn way i'm giving up diving. I've been having infections on and off for about 18months now, but the case of drops works for me but i think i realy need to stop the infections before they happen.

would this be of any use for you?

IST Pro Ear Mask in Masks,Masks from Simply Scuba

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
If you keep getting recurring infections in soft tissues, I would be tempted to try (for prevention) - Garlic supplement with a HIGH Allicin content (Holland and Barrett's do one called 'Maximum Garlic', comes in a white box), Cranberry supplements and Daily Euchanea (sp?) but do no more than 2 weeks on, then 2 weeks off for the Euchanea, and it is safe to repeat the cycle.

Lou

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
first off, you have my full sympathy. another ear perf (my 6th) last august kept me out the water for 9 months. i missed out on a whole load of trips, including an egypt LA which i arranged for my club (20 people). it was very frustrating. no, that's an understatement, it was f*ck*ng miserable.

i think you really need to speak to a diving ENT. the average NHS ENT consultant isn't too hot on diving-related matters. i don't want to make life more complicated for you, but gromits may have caused my problems, so you may be solving one problem (ETD) and end up with another (ear drum perfs). also, you will not be able to dive for the length of time the gromit(s) are in plus the amount of time it takes for your ear drum to heal. my last perf took 6 months and i was scheduled to have surgery (myringoplasty) which thankfully i didn't need.

hence the advice about talking to an expert even if you have to pay for it. it's so difficult to accurate information on these matters because the research simply isn't there.

as for the pro-ear, it will not help ETD because your problems are on the inner side of your ear drum.

for the record, i have been using a pro-ear for sometime now. if you're diving in blue water without a hood and have a shaved head, it's great. otherwise things get more complicated. if you're wearing a hood or have hair, you will need assistance from someone to don it properly. it's good, but not 100%.

i'm about to start experimenting with pro-plugs, but they won't help ETD for the same reasons.

hope this makes sense

andrew

·
(Formerly Polarbears Dave) - YD advertiser
267 Posts
This may not directly help you, but if your eustation tube is reduced in diameter (rather than completely closed off) you may still be able to equalise by using a different method.
The valsalva (hold nose and blow) method used by most divers is pretty inefficient (but very easy to explain, hence why it is the method normally taught). The Frenzel is much better, but requires quite a bit of effort to master for most people, as you must learn to control your soft pallete. This document gives the best description I have seen, with step by step instructions; www.liquivision.ca/frenzel.doc

cheers
dave
drysuitrepair.co.uk

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
Iv got what is know as Eustation Tube Dysfuntion (my Eustation tubes inflame, and close off) At the moment they are like it most of the time. I have been to see an ENT Doctor, who has tried all the medical routes, such as decongestants, steaming, Steriods, and anti inflmaitaires, as well as anti biotics (as this problem arised from diving on an undiagonsed ear infection.)
I think I would go and pay another ENT doctor before excepting a year off diving from when you get gromments put it. it could be a long time waithing for the op too.

I would be very upsett if I could not dive for a year. hope you get well soon

David

·
Long time no sea
710 Posts
caution.

Beware of the internet.

If you keep getting recurring infections in soft tissues, I would be tempted to try (for prevention) - Garlic supplement with a HIGH Allicin content (Holland and Barrett's do one called 'Maximum Garlic', comes in a white box), Cranberry supplements and Daily Euchanea (sp?) but do no more than 2 weeks on, then 2 weeks off for the Euchanea, and it is safe to repeat the cycle.

I, too, experience ear difficulties from time to time. Ensure that you secure professional evidence based clinical advice.

best wishes

Neill

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
This may not directly help you, but if your eustation tube is reduced in diameter (rather than completely closed off) you may still be able to equalise by using a different method.
The valsalva (hold nose and blow) method used by most divers is pretty inefficient (but very easy to explain, hence why it is the method normally taught). The Frenzel is much better, but requires quite a bit of effort to master for most people, as you must learn to control your soft pallete. This document gives the best description I have seen, with step by step instructions; www.liquivision.ca/frenzel.doc

cheers
dave
drysuitrepair.co.uk
Now that makes and interesting read, have some green.

Danny

·
00.00 hrs
905 Posts
I agree with most people in saying that you should get the advice of more than one professional person, it would seem that you have been put between a rock and a hard place by one expert. As you are getting a not too "friendly" prognosis get it double checked, just in case they have missed something.

For an alternative you could try chewing gum that contains Xylotil which is a naturally ocurring antibiotic and the chewing action actually massages the Xylitol into the openings of the eustacean tubes inside the throat. I have a couple of sticks a day since I heard about the benefits as I used to have "slow" ears (particularly at the start of the season), not so now!!

I am not saying it will cure all that ails you but it is something you could try alongside any professional help you get and it will not cut into their territory or cost you very much.

Good Luck
Hope you get back under soon.

Midnight

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Beware of the internet.

I, too, experience ear difficulties from time to time. Ensure that you secure professional evidence based clinical advice.

best wishes

Neill
i think we are talking more prevention than cure !

i had many reacuring ear infections when i first started to dive including the eustacian tubes becoming blocked and the tympanic membrane also becoming sore especialy after dives !incuring massive amounts of otamize spray into both ears 4 times a day !with anti biotic backup!

i think useing alternate methods to keep the bodies immune system in tip top condition cant do any harm,i.e garlic and euchanea although i would like to say im a great advocate of seeking propper medical advice on such conditions as at the end of the day they have your best intrests at heart ! and can advise u further so as not to complicate matters further !!!

good luck and best wishes leigh

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Beware of the internet.

best wishes

Neill
Hi Neil,
Mentioned the supplements, as the OP did ask. Didn't mention the ENT as she had already mentioned that she is seeing one.

Regards,
Lou

·
Long time no sea
710 Posts
Point taken

Yep, you're right he did ask. I re-read it and fair comment. He does need to be aware that whilst it is fine to have a hobby or interest in alternative / complimentary medicine that there is almost no evidence beyond placebo. Preventative or curative it's wishful thinking at best - deception at worst.

Please don't get me wrong - there is plenty to criticise in orthodox medicine but at least they try to use things that are proven to work and generally don't use things that are proven not to. Unlike herbalism, reflexology, homeopathy which still plough on despite evidence they are without worth.

And they survive because "we are all entitled to our opinion". Bloody humans - wont be told. I really do believe in free choice but informed choice - so if your 20 B&H says cigarettes kill on the packet. Alternative therapies should be labelled - these don't work.

My own field - the efficacy of the best anti-depressants is way less than adequate - some people some times get benefit from the best antidepressants. wow.

pompous rant over.

where's my neroli

Neill

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Yep, you're right he did ask. I re-read it and fair comment. He does need to be aware that whilst it is fine to have a hobby or interest in alternative / complimentary medicine that there is almost no evidence beyond placebo. Preventative or curative it's wishful thinking at best - deception at worst.

Please don't get me wrong - there is plenty to criticise in orthodox medicine but at least they try to use things that are proven to work and generally don't use things that are proven not to. Unlike herbalism, reflexology, homeopathy which still plough on despite evidence they are without worth.

And they survive because "we are all entitled to our opinion". Bloody humans - wont be told. I really do believe in free choice but informed choice - so if your 20 B&H says cigarettes kill on the packet. Alternative therapies should be labelled - these don't work.

My own field - the efficacy of the best anti-depressants is way less than

adequate - some people some times get benefit from the best antidepressants. wow.

pompous rant over.

where's my neroli

Neill
Complimentary medicine, most have been around for how many hundreds of years? Orthodox, quite recent in comparison? I know what works for me, and was just suggesting this to the OP.

It sounds like that you may not have had much luck with complimentary medicine; probably as much luck that I've had with Orthodox medicine!

It doesn't mean that everyone has had that experience. Just keep an open mind.

Lou

·
Long time no sea
710 Posts
Save us from the bloody mystics!

I maintain an open mind until the weight of evidence is sufficient to make a decision. If you continue to hold an open mind despite the weight of evidence that is Faith. No thanks.

Despite the longevity of CAM very very very little evidence of benefit to people. When the financial cost is factored in then it can only really be considered recreation or a con.

good debate.

Bed calling - good night.

neill

PS. I have only ever had reflexology - from my wife who did an evening class - loved it. medicine? - er no. Don't need to try CAM just like I don't try heroine - read the research - it's not gonna do me any good.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
I maintain an open mind until the weight of evidence is sufficient to make a decision. If you continue to hold an open mind despite the weight of evidence that is Faith. No thanks.

Despite the longevity of CAM very very very little evidence of benefit to people. When the financial cost is factored in then it can only really be considered recreation or a con.

good debate.

Bed calling - good night.

neill

PS. I have only ever had reflexology - from my wife who did an evening class - loved it. medicine? - er no. Don't need to try CAM just like I don't try heroine - read the research - it's not gonna do me any good.
Yes, so some therapies have been dropped over the years as evidence found those to be harmful. But then, same can be said for orthodox medicine, remember that morning sickness drug used around the 60's that got banned as it caused deformaties in babies? So both sides have pros and cons.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Complimentary medicine, most have been around for how many hundreds of years?
a poor argument, so have lots belief systems but that doesn't make them any more valid.

edit: another thought, intelligent discussions about therapies of any kind should be about evidence base, rather than traditional vs. complimentary. evidence-based analyses are rubbishing traditional medicines all the time. it also seems to be the case that there is very little good evidence for complimentary medicines. there may be numeous reasons for this, for example, there may be little funding (i.e. drug company money) available for clinical trials into complimentary medicines. however, to be believe in something for which there is no good evidence isn't keeping an open mind, it's stupidity.

sorry scuby looby, i know we're going off on a bit of a tangent.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
a poor argument, so have lots belief systems but that doesn't make them any more valid.

edit: another thought, intelligent discussions about therapies of any kind should be about evidence base, rather than traditional vs. complimentary. evidence-based analyses are rubbishing traditional medicines all the time. it also seems to be the case that there is very little good evidence for complimentary medicines. there may be numeous reasons for this, for example, there may be little funding (i.e. drug company money) available for clinical trials into complimentary medicines. however, to be believe in something for which there is no good evidence isn't keeping an open mind, it's stupidity.

If believing in something that has no good evidence, maybe because of lack of funding for clinical trials and research, wouldn't then keeping a closed mind also be stupid? Did you know that Acupuncture is used in the NHS? So no need for a 'blanket' rubbishing for Complimentary Medicine! What works for some, may not work for others. Pros and cons goes both ways.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts

just as a matter of intrest sipadan have you ever tried complimentry medicine !! im sure that it wouldnt have been around for so long if its use was flawed!
im a great believer in useing both complimentry and traditional and try to keep an open mind and will not rubbish anything until ive tried it for myself ,

i think there is place for both in todays society and reserve the rite to choose which course of treatment i take !

anyway its only the internet !

be happy everyone!!

best wishes leigh :teeth: gurranga :teeth:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
If believing in something that has no good evidence, maybe because of lack of funding for clinical trials and research, wouldn't then keeping a closed mind also be stupid?
nope, but that doesn't mean i would dismiss them out of hand. i would just like to see some good trials into complimentary medicine before they are dished out to patients.

Did you know that Acupuncture is used in the NHS?
yes and it's funny that you should mention that because acupuncture is one of the few complimentary medicines that has some evidence to support it. e.g. Acupuncture for neck disorders

other therapies may not last much longer in the nhs:

NHS told to abandon alternative medicine-News-UK-Health-TimesOnline

this is a serious issue, NHS money spent on unproven therapies is taken away from other areas such as cancer drugs. i know that sounds emotive, but that's actually what's happening!

So no need for a 'blanket' rubbishing for Complimentary Medicine! What works for some, may not work for others. Pros and cons goes both ways.
i didn't rubbish complimentary medicine, just called for rational, evidence-based research before it's used. that applies to traditional medicine as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.