YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Diving happy
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from the previous thread on electrio bicyclios, I decided to follow the universal HTFU advice and go solely with leg and will power.

I also like the advice on hub gears (would like to have found a hub gear and belt device option, but only found one suitable expensive US bike that did).

So my short list, for my very desirable low maintenance commuter, is as follow:

All are similar priced and based on the new Alfine 11 speed hub gear (the Genesis Day 01 is on the older 8 speed).

1. On One - Pompetamine Alfine 11
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPALF11PRO/on-one-pompetamine-alfine-11-speed

2. Charge Bike - Mixer 11
http://www.chargebikes.com/products/bikes/detail.php?id=25

3. Cube - Hooper Pro
http://www.cube.eu/en/tour/urban-life-series/hooper-pro/

The Cube and the Mixer I have had little try on (and liked), the Pompetamine I will get to try in a few weeks. I have a slight preference for the Pomp and the Mixer, as they are UK companies (nice to give them the business). The Cube is an Ali frame, the other two steel, but I did not get enough of ride on them to really use it as a preference.

Any of you cycling bods got a view on the relative merits and components ?

·
Buzz
617 Posts
Steel frames are a bit heavier than Ali, but they have a nicer ride quality - that is they do a better job at vibration damping. Ali can be a bit harsh over rough ground, but they are light and stiff.

Steel looks cooler IMO and would be my choice.

·
Diving happy
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how many hills on your commute route - if not many go single speed :D used to do all of my winter commute/training on 42/16 (42teeth front chain ring 16teeth rear sprocket) feck all maintenance :D
I did think about it, a single with a belt drive looks interesting; however, with a hub gear I would also use it for a bit more riding than just the commuting.

·
Waiting to see what happens
3,844 Posts
I did think about it, a single with a belt drive looks interesting; however, with a hub gear I would also use it for a bit more riding than just the commuting.
hub gears not as efficiant as derrailieur but a dam sight less hassle, especially if your not into keeping your chain clean :D

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
I'd suggest roller skates Nige - in-line's are classier and more expensive - right up your Strasse ;) (Sorry mate, beer speaking :D )

Reactions: Turtle Dude

·
Is somewhere else!
4,728 Posts
Agree with all of the above comments (including Sue's - skates are a healthy transport alternative, but you'd have to get quads rather than those silly binliners).

Just had a look at each bike, all of them have near as damn it the same components and they all have mounting points for mudguards and racks so all good so far.
Apart from the one being alu (Urgh!) and the other 2 being steel (Yay!) they're all different colours, but most importantly all have subtly different geometrys.
We could go into how this will affect the ride, but they dont all publish all the things I'd want to know before making a comparison, so I wont.
All you can do is as you are doing - get a ride on each of them, evaluate the nuances of acceleration, hill-climb ability, handlebar flop and fork rake and then buy the one you like the look of. :D
Thats what I'll come down to most likely.

You might also want to consider nickability. Generally the more shouty and loud and ugly the colour the less nickable it is.
You need to bear in mind the aditional spend of another £50 on mudguards and a rack, upto £90 on waterproof panniers, and @ £60 on a lock. And you'll need a lesson in what is a safe object to lock it to in town. ONce you've got it I can give you a masterclass in safe bike locking if you want, at a suitably dodgy location of course. :wink:

All in all, they're very similar bikes, only riding them will tell you what you want to go for.
Oh, and if you can, get it at your local bike shop. You ARE going to need a good relationship with a bike shop, either near work or home, as it WILL need servicing once a year, and most certainly in the first 3 to 6 weeks as a safety check and again in 3 months as the parts all bed in, so it's a good start to buy it from them in the first place - if they can sell what you want that is.

I think you're on the right track though. Enjoy shopping!

·
Diving happy
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
To finish this thread off. I took all your advice and binned the idea of an electric bike. "HTFU" was absolutely right. Having spent the last few weeks doing the 8.5 mile each way commute, on a less than smooth mountain bike, its both good fun and a lot more easy. Electric bike would have been pointless.

And after considerable help on the bike front, especially from Tunicates {big thanks sir, I owe you beer}, I have gone a little nutts in getting a more reliable steed for the journey - well two steeds as my obsessional behavior kicks in...

So I have just picked up S/H a lovely (impulse buy) custom painted steel frame, carbon forked, On One Pompino (the Italian slang was too good alone not to!) single-speed.

And, once I have got my sizing sorted, will be shortly ordering one of these all carbon "am going to have sex with it" race beauties.

Just now have to work out how I tell the missus that I have acquired, not just one unexpected cycle, but two..... mmm'

Thanks to all for the "HTFU"

·
Is somewhere else!
4,728 Posts
Good work in bagging a brace of the things, and both pretty schweet!
It's good to have redundancy in all things. Unfortunately you will soon discover you need a 3rd and then a 4th, but I cant help that. Your fate is sealed. :)

You're going to need some cycling shoes and SPD* pedals before too long, but ride them with normal pedals for while first.
* SPD is a generic term but means any of a wide range of clipless pedal**
**For those thinking it meant Shimano Pedalling Dynamics***
***The poor sad barstards.

·
Diving happy
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a shiny set of delivered Speedplay Zero pedals and cleeee'ts on my desk right now. Nothing to attach them to, but that is this weekend's fun shop.

(I went for the float movement with the SpeedPlays to help my f'cked old knees).

·
Is somewhere else!
4,728 Posts
I used Speedplay Frogs on my mtb for many years. Absolutely loved them.
Just try them out in the park on grass first time round. You will fall off 3 times. Everyone does.
Now i've said it you wont fall off at all, but careful as you go.

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
I fear that this thread will go on a lot longer as Ollie feeds and Nige bites :D

Enjoy the peddling Nige, don't worry, Michelle will enjoy the newer, fitter you ;)

·
Partly Worn
2,799 Posts
And, once I have got my sizing sorted, will be shortly ordering one of these all carbon "am going to have sex with it" race beauties.

Just before you do (I don't know your employment situation) it's worth checking if your employer participates in the "Cycle to Work" scheme - essentially the company buys a bike and you pay for it from your before tax/ni salary thus saving up to 50% of the cost.

·
Diving happy
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just before you do (I don't know your employment situation) it's worth checking if your employer participates in the "Cycle to Work" scheme - essentially the company buys a bike and you pay for it from your before tax/ni salary thus saving up to 50% of the cost.
Oh they do. :)

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
That Focus looks lovely. All you need now is a Brookes saddle.:wink:

·
Diving happy
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
.. and the thing that makes all the diference with the cycle commute is my work - who deserve a massive pat on the back - we have a dedicated organised secure bike room, with spare pumps, puncture kits etc., full sized lockers, a rear door from the bike room straight to the clean showers and wash area. And finally a free quality cappuccino/coffee machine on the way out. Bloody marvellous and well done them.

Used to car every day, now I car in once a week only.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts