YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

HELP!! Can anybody let me have a number for Budgie

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Kevin 
#1 ·
Imported post

Can anybody help - I am trying to find a contact number for a skipper called Budgie, operating around Weymouth.

Many thanks.

#4 ·
Imported post

Thanks Diving Dud.... err I mean dude.... err I mean Howard.

Good to have met you last week at Swanage. I'm supposed to be at Weymouth in a few weeks, who do you think is a good operator if not budgie?

Cheers

Kevin

#5 ·
Imported post

We've used Brian Charles of JBC Charters 01305-822846, hes a great character and the boat is....errr.......well.....full of character as well.

However he needs a minimum of four to go out midweek, not sure about weekends, so if you're on your own then BTDH (Budgie the dick head) is probally the best bet.

G
#6 ·
Imported post

Take it from someone who skippered out of Portland for a couple of years, Eric "Budgie" Burgess is bad news!

If you can't be bothered to look in the small ads for good boats and have to use him then do not give him any money up front, do not eat the food at the "hotel" he runs from, take your own O2 analyser and for Christs sake stay away from his prop when in the water; yes he really has minced his own customers more than once!

Check out these far more friendly operators:

www.fathomandblues.co.uk

www.protector-diving.co.uk

Cheers Guys!

#8 ·
Imported post

I was on Protector this weekend, fantastic boat - massive RIB,(grey not black) with hydraulic lift at back to lift you out the water!

And Ivor the skipper is a top skipper too - shame he's booked up for all weekends this year :-(

If Protector is on option for you, take it!

Dave.

#10 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Just taken a look on google...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Graeme Kershaw MIDSHIPMANN@aol.com
Diving vessel ''Tideflow''. Offshore 27. Running out of Castletown, Portland. All inshore/harbour dives from Grove Point to Ringstead. Fully licenced for 12 divers. Standard rate for harbour dives-£13pp. Discount for training schools. Special rates for air fills. Hot drinks and do'nuts available. The Skipper is local diver (PADI Divemaster). Call 07734530789/01305 782549. Or E-mail. We look forward to hearing from you.  
Hope this helps

abucksdiver

#12 ·
Imported post

Ref "Protector"...

Now i don't know the skipper or the boat, but when we were on the Sky on our YD jolly, the skipper of the Protector told 2 of our number (hands up Dr W!) to "eff off his effin' shot" as he wanted to pull it before the tide got too strong.  As our boat was in the vicinity but not quite ready to pick up our two comrades they politely declined, not fancying a trip to France in the ever increasing current.

So, a diver-caring skipper?
?  Make your own minds up, but i am less likely to use him after that little incident.

Lou

#13 ·
Imported post

Lou,

You were there, I wasn't, so I'm not saying you're wrong, but that sounds nothing like Ivor, who is the only skipper of Protector as far as I know.

Ivor is a diver himself and very carefull of diver safety - at the weekend he was very concerned over the safety of our group when fog came down. He's also nice as pie and a really gentle sort, seems to me. My club have dived with him numerous times and I've never heard a bad word, in fact heard stacks of the opposite.

Maybe it was him, we all have bad days I guess, but I'd be surprised. I'd recommened Ivor and Protector without hesitation.

Dave.

G
#15 ·
Imported post

Ivor Jansen is one of the finest skippers you'll ever meet and like all skippers if he shouts at a diver it's probably for a very good reason!

Protector is worth diving because it's the only RIB I know of that has a diver lift and at 11.5 metres and 8.5 tonnes you'll never dive from a bigger RIB!

The hull colour is grey - the same as Ivors house!

#16 ·
Imported post

Hey abucks, as you were beached I'll try and resist telling you how great the vis was below that mirror of a sea  
 Certainly won't mention that it was like a summers afternoon at 40m - oops  

Never mind mate, apparently it's like that at least once every 4 years or so  

Sorry, I will stop now  

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.