YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi
I need help and some advice:  I have seen lots of information on Egypt / Sharm, but I'm after some aimed at what I need.
My wife bless her prefers to snorkel, sightsee, and lay, in the sun than dive, my son whos 10 loves diving and is a full PADI diver seal member (I know dont go there but its the only way I could find to get a 10 year old diving) he is also very keen on snorkelling. He may if they allow it there do a try dive.  
I am looking at a two week stay maybe all inclusive or half board (recommendations please) 3 to 4 star hotel with pool, near the sea, dont want a hotel full of p***heads I like a drink but dont want a lot of a**holes, you know what I mean. Must have some kind of life dont want to be miles away from civilisation, with a good diving centre  
There will be a party of 5 adults and 1 child, so I will need to be sure that the ladies are safe from hassle, and all the other low lifes that sometimes frequent the world in which we live.
Our normal locations are Australia, thats because my wifes Australian, (someone has to love them) and the Maldives.            
Time we would like to go is around the back end of June.  So sea temps please will I need my 3mm and 5mm or just 5mm hood? Gloves? I will of course take all my own kit with me.  

Thanks in advance

Sean  

(Edited by Sean at 3:20 pm on Dec. 18, 2002)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

June is decidedly hot anywhere in Egypt. A 3 mm wetsuit will be fine. Dahab, Sharm, El Gouna, Hurghada, Safaga and Marsa Alam all have good diving and good hotels. There isn't really a lot to do for nondivers in any of them, in my opinion, but there are some nice excursions from several of them (e.g. Luxor from Hurghada and Safaga, St Catherines Monastery and Mount Sinai from Dahab). They involve longish coach rides but the coaches are air conditioned. Everybody has their favourites, so I won't attempt to advise you regarding the choice of resort.

(Edited by John Gulliver at 4:42 pm on Dec. 18, 2002)

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Avoid Lanzarote like the plague at that time of year, if it featured in your plans at all, the tourists are just what you are trying to avoid. Easters a good time to go though, but probably not hot enough for an Ozzie. Avoid the S of France as you wont be able to move either, the place is very swish etc., BUT its jam packed and not worth going in my opinion, sorry if that upsets some but thats what I found during last years school hols.
Matt

(Edited by MATTBIN at 4:44 pm on Dec. 18, 2002)

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Sean
I have just returned from Sharm enjoyed it lots and have even booked to go back. Stayed at a 5* hotel called the Namma bay and dived with Ocean Collage. Booked through Explorer travel and intend to go back through them.
Be carefull about hotels outside of Sharm, they can take 20 mins of traveling and require a mini bus. Sharm itself is small and quiet (campared to most hoilday places)
You will enjoy it, the locals will ask you to come into their shops (purfume) tell them politely NO and they leave you alone.
The hotel we booked at B&B and spent a tenner for evening meal. that for two and she was drinking as usual

Wet suit, I had a 5mm full suit and felt OK, some dived in a 3mm but you will be going when its warmer. No need to a hood.
Book your dives in the UK, because the additional costs add up. I spent as much on the Thistlegorme, night diving and the Dunraven as i did for the 5 days I'd booked. I should have and will next time do 10 days and forget the wrecks

Email me and I'll let you have some more details, about the airport etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts