YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I,m off diving on Weds the surface water temp is 22 to 24 degs what type of wet suit should I take 3mm shorty or 3 full or 5mm shorty or 5mmfull.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nigel

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

I'd take me dry-suit  
 or a 7mm full job, but then I hate being cold.

Have a good one.

Matt

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

I would recommend AT LEAST the 3 mm full - I have never been too warm under water + you can always undo the zip a bit to allow more suit flushing if you are too warm. More to the point what is the temp at 20/30 mtrs? I have used 2 * 5mm (equals 10 mm over the torso) in the Med and not been too warm (under water).

I personally never wear a shorty on any dives because warm waters tend to have quite a lot of stingy or pointy things in them.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Agreed, in Tobago, in June, we wore our 5mm semi-dry suits (though without the 3mm shortie under-suits). A full length suit of min 3mm.

Good luck and dive safe mate. And don't forget the dive report!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

looks like a trip to SDS tomorrow for a full 5mm.

nigel

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nigel @ Nov. 03 2003,14:36)]looks like a trip to SDS tomorrow for a full 5mm.

nigel
Why not check with the dive centre that you are diving from on holiday (although I would agree with the 5 mm choice) :-

a) what they recommend to use.
b) do they sell them and how much - maybe a bargain to be had.

Have good holiday - YLB (not that I am jealous!).

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

I may as well buy a 5mm it will come in. I,m off to the Maldives in May 04 so it will get plenty of use and I can always use my 3mm shorty as an under suit.

nigel

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Also there has been a change of goverment and comunications are very hit and miss I sent an E Mail to the dive centre but I,v had no reply.

nigel

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Aye,

DCS and other diving 'misgivings' are something against which you can try and mitigate; coups-d'etat happening mid-dive are not!  

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

In Cyprus this year the water temp was 28 dropping to 19 at the thermocline so a 5mm full suit was ideal in the sense that you didn't completely brick yourself on crossing the thermo!  Also used a 5mm full suit in Dahab in February when the temp was around 22/23 and it was perfect - not too toasty but didn't freeze during or post dive either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts