YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I was given an old Solus SU-500 prototype torch a few years ago in exchange for taking some photos for their web site. You can see it in the pictures below.

It has a removable battery pack as I believe they were still developing the 'thru-the-case' charging points at the time. It's not been used for ages and must have got a little damp as the batteries have now corroded.

I'd like to try and source some similar (but maybe longer lasting - greater milli-ampage?) batteries but the only clues I have are the text on the battery casing and the Li-Ion charger fixed at 11V 500mA.

I've not managed to find anything similar so I was wondering if anyone knew what these batteries specifications were and where I could get something similar?

Thanks,
Gareth.

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
The size tells me it's something like this although a quick look on google shows them for half this price.
That's for a single cell (you need tagged cells if you are making it up yourself), if you can find someone that can make up the pack, that's preferred as capacitance welded packs seem to last/perform better.
HTH
Simon A

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
I looked at sourcing soldered tagged batteries from the UK a couple of years ago when I had to buy new Batts for my torch. They were very hard to get hold of as every company who make custom multi cell pack said they didn't solder Li Ion as they were prone to exploding if they got hot. I eventually went back to the manufacturer and paid the expensive price.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
As Gav says, they're 18650 Li-ion cells. Very widely available - just not in the UK for some reason. I get my tagged ones from here :

eBay My World - victorstudio

unfortunately though, you'll get stiffed on the postage. Alternatively you could rip apart an old laptop battery pack and scavenge the cells from there. They used to contain 18650's, as did some power tool packs.

edit : don't forget the protection pcb.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
i have used these before and they are good have a few sets for my torch and all work brilliantly they do take about 10 days from when posted to arrive but the price is worth the wait also free postage :) i wouldn't solder them though maybe shape some plexy to make a holder would save a lot on buying custom made packs but they need a special charger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts