YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since diving with two stages on my inspo I feel almost locked into a perfectly horizontal trim, which actually feels like I am a bit head down. I'd like to have a slightly head up trim so that it is easier to see where I am going. Through successive weight checks with and without the stages I have removed 3 kg from the top pockets on the wing so now all my weight is around my weight belt but I still feel head down. I always wear ankle weights and still do, so with the rest of the weight around my middle why do I feel head down?

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Because it has little to do with where the weight is.

You are probably not head down. Few people are. But you should be able to see properly.

Try to arch your back, spreading your shoulders wide in the parachutists free fall position. What happens?

It could be a few other things too - but without seeing you it's tough to make a call.

This is genuinely something an instructor who knows their stuff can fix in one or two dives.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because it has little to do with where the weight is.
That will be why moving it did nothing then :) I thought position of weight would have an impact just due to physics but my weight movement fits with your position.

You are probably not head down. Few people are. But you should be able to see properly.

Try to arch your back, spreading your shoulders wide in the parachutists free fall position. What happens?
I'm not head down just perfectly horizontal, I feel head down but my buddy informs me I'm not. It just feels so unnatural as I am used to having a slightly head up trim. I'll try arching my back this weekend

I'm with an instructor at the end of the month on a mix course so hopefully he'll sort me if I can't work it out by then.

Cheers

Mike

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Since diving with two stages on my inspo I feel almost locked into a perfectly horizontal trim, which actually feels like I am a bit head down.
That's right. Horizontal trim feels head down because your face is low and your feet are high.
Don't worry about it. Especially don't start fighting it by tensing muscles. If you aren't diving floppy you have things very wrong.

Not wishing to pick a fight but as a physicist I have to point out that where you carry you weight is everything to how you hang in the water.

·
Naturally blonde - please type slowly
680 Posts
I'm not head down just perfectly horizontal, I feel head down but my buddy informs me I'm not. It just feels so unnatural as I am used to having a slightly head up trim.
Oo lucky you - some of us strive eternally for that trim....even with their's buddy using a spirit level to prove the point :D Enjoy it....it does feel head down for a while as NigelH says, because if you're knees are bent then your feet are the highest point. It's a very efficient position though...should make finning easier so don't worry too much and as Clare says I'd just focus up head back and shoulders/elbows up to add the arch to your back. IMO that's easier than trying to deliberately arch with your back muscles. Lifting your arms up and keeping your head back will create a natural arch.

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Ha.....you want to see head down.....come diving with me and get me to do a shutdown without finning!!!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oo lucky you - some of us strive eternally for that trim....
but it feels soooo wrong, coupled with the lack of head mobility caused by the loop and the bov and the lack of general mobility caused by two stages it makes checking on my buddy a big effort. Shame he won't by a torch good enough to signal with.

I'll keep trying and hopefully will get used to it

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem solved - I moved the bottom bands on my stages up towards the valve by about an inch and now I can adjust my attitude in the water and feel much more relaxed about it. Or it might be the arching of the back. Either way it works and I'm happy.
Now if only I had a cell for my box I could get some more diving in :-(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts