YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right then.

Digger is relocating. I have left sunny Crewe, and have now been moved to the dizzy heights of Hemel Hempstead. I'll be working in the industrial crappy bit of town, and need to find somewhere to live near there that isn't crap.

Now there's 2 of us potentially looking for somewhere in the short term (around 6 months initially but could be longer) and want to find somewhere where I'm not going to get my car burned out but where I'm not goign to die for not being able to afford to eat.

I know there's a lot of YDers in that part of the world, so sensible suggestions appreciated. If nothing else a decent list of the letting agents or landlords in the area might save me a load of phone calls tomorrow morning.

I don't want to spend thousands every month on living in the Hilton, so any good advice on how not to spend my months wages on a rock to crawl under each night would be good.

Thanks in advance. Oh, and I know it has nothing to do with diving.

Digs.

PS - Housewarming to be arranged. Right after I have a house that is :)

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Google is your friend, but seems to turn up a vast number of crap properties within my price range. I think my price range needs adjusting. Poo.

Anyone got a good rundown on where's good down to where's crap in and around Hemel? So far I know of new build estates which are probably what we're looking at (but cost a load) and have seen some real cack, as in they couldn't even be bothered to have a tidy up before they took photos for lettings, and not much in the middle. If anyone knows the area and can help at all it would be handy, as at the moment all I have is price to go on, and that is a dangerous game to play, because I love a bargain :)

Digs.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First they suggest you work when nobody else is about and when that doesn't work out they move you to the arse-end of nowhere. Getting the message, mate?
Trouble is all we've got is the arse end of nowhere. Working in logistics seems to mean that you end up working in an industrial estate inevitably somewhere near a load of motorways, and normally where labour is cheap. So a shit hole normally, so we can afford the dross to come and work there.

But I do have a grand plan in a few months time. I always have a grand plan, but this time it might just work. And if it doesn't I'm definitely leaving this time :(

And strangely, I requested this move. But largely because they don't really work weekends, don't really work nights, and have a large population of people who don't take much motivation and arse kicking to do a decent days work. Oh, and they wanted me for some insane reason, and said a lot of nice things about me before I arrived. All that will change after tuesday morning, but ho hum...

Digs.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
find out where DanE lives, then pick the other end of town ;)
I was about to swear at you, but then realised that you had a point...

The nicer areas to live are Boxmoor, Leverstock Green, Gadebridge and the Old Town.

Average areas are Woodhall Farm, Something beginning wth A and Nash Mills.

Avoid Warners End, I don't want the property prices to plummet :)

dan

·
Time and alcohol heal all wounds
182 Posts
If you looking at "Apartment" style places I think Apsley Lock would be suitable. It's a nice modern area to live but can be a bit pricey. The main advantage is that Dacorum Sub-Aqua club meet opposite in the Apsley Village club every Thursday at 8 ;)

cheers
Dan G
(There are two Dan's at DSAC, the other is DAN E)

·
It doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting..
4,745 Posts
Apsley is good... so is Berkhamsted, but this may just be a bit pricey.. in fact Hemel is pricey, period.

Best of luck trying to find a decent, cheap place to rent... my wife rented for about 3 years in Hemel, apartment was let the day she moved out - tucked away just behind the Dixons HQ, was handy for town (although a distinct lack of decent watering holes, I seem to remember...

But totty... oh yes, the totty....:angel:

Pete

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
The Paper Mill in Apsley is very nice. Surprisingly so, as it is a fairly modern pub. A good range of Fuller's ales to be had.

The Blackbirds and Three Horseshoes in Boxmoor are nice. The Fishery's should be avoided at all costs.

And then there's Wally World...
dan

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Right then.

Digger is relocating. I have left sunny Crewe, and have now been moved to the dizzy heights of Hemel Hempstead. I'll be working in the industrial crappy bit of town, and need to find somewhere to live near there that isn't crap.

Now there's 2 of us potentially looking for somewhere in the short term (around 6 months initially but could be longer) and want to find somewhere where I'm not going to get my car burned out but where I'm not goign to die for not being able to afford to eat.

I know there's a lot of YDers in that part of the world, so sensible suggestions appreciated. If nothing else a decent list of the letting agents or landlords in the area might save me a load of phone calls tomorrow morning.

I don't want to spend thousands every month on living in the Hilton, so any good advice on how not to spend my months wages on a rock to crawl under each night would be good.

Thanks in advance. Oh, and I know it has nothing to do with diving.

Digs.

PS - Housewarming to be arranged. Right after I have a house that is :)
Digger, you might want to broaden the area you fancy, Hemel is in Herts which will make it expensive, try the next County perhaps Bucks or Beds, there are some reasonable villages nearby. If you are working as a Salesman I assume you will be on the road most of the time so not really needing to be 'that' near your office?

Although tbh once the Esatate Agents know you are moving into the area the house prices will drop like a stone anyway. :) so stay away from Harpenden!!!

Where did Juz move to recently?

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Matt, it's the same job but in a different place. Kind of. So have to be at work most days at some ridiculous hour in the morning. My first week I am starting at 5am. I have no idea how that's supposed to work, as my brain doesn't do anything until at least 10. Ho hum.

Thanks for the advice thus far. Off to speak to some people this afternoon and see what I can find. If it all goes to rat shit then I can just give up and buy the caravan I always dreamed of, and live like a gippo. I always wanted to be like my dad ;)

Digs.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It couldn't, it doesn't have a tow bar. Or an exhaust. Or a windscreen that isn't bloody cracked. Or a speedo. Yes, my shit french car finally really pissed me off when the speedo stopped working at 4 in the morning. I am thinking abotu trying to pursue Citroen under the "not fit for purpose" bit of the law. I think I have a case. As a car, it is quite definitely not fit for purpose.

Digs.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts