YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

managed to get myself a dry suit, need a buddy to christian it in the tropical(!) waters of Stoney...any offers? Weekends, preferably Sunday...gotta show willing with the kids and missus on Saturdays! Get in touch via email or phone...01858 464029...cheers, Nige

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Nige Hi.
I am going up there on the 19th (weather permitting) with my son and two friends. I think Daz (from YD/DNet) is also sort of thinking about it. Lou/Caroline might also if we can twist their arm(s) a bit unless they are on their RD course and Steelemonkey (Paul) might be interested so why not post something on DNet as well. You are welcome to join me and the boy (plus friends) but we are also new to Dry-Suit so we couldnt act as Instructors or similar. Any one else fancy helping Nige out on the 19th.
Matt

Just noticed your post on Handbagnet (Doh!) I'm sure you'll get some respones soon, its a bit cool even for the hardy ones at the moment and you'd have to find a really keen buddy who'd want to help out a potential SMB in this weather ;-) You had a 'course' presumably when you got your suit? or was it secondhand and no instruction sort of thing?
Matt

(Edited by MATTBIN at 5:03 pm on Jan. 9, 2003)

(Edited by MATTBIN at 5:04 pm on Jan. 9, 2003)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

cheers for the reply...with regard to the dry suit course..er no i haven't done a course but i have used one a few times with no probs...to be honest i am looking for someone who would see me through a dry suit course... my bro in law, Ben who's on this site did his through YD so if anyone has any ideas then it'd be appreciated. As for the 19th then that sounds great...I'll be in touch...and yes it IS a bit brass monkey at the mo but what they heck!!
cheers, nige

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Nige,

Ben has been doing a number of courses with Andy Hayhurst DALESDIVER - our Tech Moderator - e.g. his TDI Basic Nirox and his SDI Deep Diver tickets.

Indeed, there are number of folk on here that have done all manner of courses with Andy - everything from 'Peak Performance Buoyancy' to Advanced Nitrox to Deco Proceedures and Trimix to Instructor tickets. So he comes highly recommended by any number of us. He's a cross-agency Instructor too, so no BS, just honest 'what's best for you' type training and info.

Hook up with him soon (he's away for a few days in Europe at the moment) for a Dry Suit Orientation course - it will be beneficial to you and might one day come in handy in terms of a skill set.

Good luck, dive safe, and enjoy Stoney.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Cheers Bren for that...I wanna get my Nitrox course undermy weight belt too to make full use of a proposed trip to Scapa...plus can't let my bro' in law get ahead of me the cheeky young pup! Eeh if it wasn't for me he'd still be doing that mountain climbing malarky. He's on a liveaboard off Sharm at the mo( with my bloody wetsuit!) but I'm sure the warm waters there won't put him off dipping into Crapensilt some time in the future!!
cheers, Nige

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hi Nige,

Current thinking is that I will be at Stoney on the 19th.  I am a PADI DM and don't mind playing around on the shallow ledge if you want to do some drysuit practice.  Inversions etc.

Not qualified to do a course with you but will happily help in the shallow and offer assistance and advice.

I will confirm next week if I can make it, but it is looking OK so far.

Matt,  are you or the lad thinking of doing anything slightly deeper such as the Stanagarth. ?  

Do you have a game plan for the 19th or just turn up and see what goes.. ?

Darren

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Darren
The boy needs to check out his dry suit for leaks (assuming we have it back) as I've got the shop to fit a new neck seal. Having said that he looked fine last time in the shallows so I'm happy to let him drop to the Stanegarth and then do a shallow one as a second dive, he gets a bit nervous about reverse profiles. My pal is probably OK with that as well. Although we could do a bit (with Nige) in the shallows and then move over to the Stanegarth, hows your navigation from the Nautilus? Probably turn up 9.30 ish, I know I should get there earlier but its supposed to be fun not a bloody chore. Having said that I'm flexible on what we do, I wont do the box at 35m though and I can only just about get over to the Cessna and part way back on 12l unless we do it nice and slooowwww after all its not going anywhere is it. Else its a quick squint and a long surface swim. Do you want to do anything special, I quite liked the Galleon though, so a surface swim, drop and return around the ledge is another option.
Matt

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Hey Folk,

I will need to check out my drysuit as it now has new valves on it.  Maybe able to make the 19th at Stoney, will let you know.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hey Matt,  

Sounds cool,  quite happy to go with whatever.  I typically stick with standard profiles, deepest first and paddle around in the shallows on subsequent dives.

Not interested in the box myself either,  never done it, never felt the urge.

I am sure I could find the Stanagarth from the nautilus if need be,  we could drop over the ledge find the wessex, take a right until we find the anchor chain and follow it along to the bow !!  (Famous last words).  Or just for a laugh go with the compass (How difficult can it be !!)

I normally take a nice gentle surface paddle out, down the line,  have a nose around, see if the pike is in the wheel house, follow the anchor chain off the bow towards the ledge.  Take a right to the wessex,  up over the ledge and bingo there's the nautilus.

But as the lad needs to check his suit, it would make sense to do some checks on the ledge.  I really do not mind what we do,  I just fancy getting wet.  We can play it by ear and see how it goes on the day.  We don't have to go for the Stanegarth.  I am happy to stay around the ledge, pop along to the nautilus whatever.  

So no expectations, as long as it's wet, warm and fun.  (Well 2 out of 3 will do).

Cheers,
Daz  

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

OK so if Darren and Nige are alright with that plan we have a date. A sort of mini Southern YD gig, any more takers.
Meeting about 9.30 Astra CV51CTX Silver. Mob. 07803 17 16 18.
Cool.
Matt

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

I wanna, I really do, but got the first couple of days on a TRIMIX course that weekend. All in a pigging classroom and pool.

Still it will be worth it in end.

Have fun and have a bacon butty for me.

Andrew

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

hi guys, yep, up for the 19th...i'm more than happy to hang around the ledge...we could go over as far as the galleon, it's nice and quiet over that side...with the sun glinting through ...ooh hang on i'm getting all poetic! Stanegarth to the Wessex is no prob too..yeah just go with the flow when we get there...count me in
Cheers, Nige

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

Hi guys...Still up for the Cove on Sunday...Me and Ian were there on saturday and apart from ice on the inside of the mask it was good stuff...Navigation competition was a laugh...hey we even got Stoney baseball caps for gettin' completely lost. Need a bit more weight with my drysuit though...it was like pushing a football under water!!
See ya Sunday...take yer thermos!!
Nige

·
Registered
288 Posts
Imported post

:wavey:
Hi Nige! Hope your Stoney trip goes ok!
Talking about cheeky young pups - where the bllllllg #### is he - he was due back last night - I expected his report to be on the site today!! After all I expected he was writing it up nightly (something to do to keep him out of trouble methinks!!)

Cheers
John

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Ears burning.

Nige will call u later. Count me in for sunday. Have u learnt how to use the dry suit yet??

Still up for coming North at the end of the month??? Can plan something fun for that. Im thinking one of the lakes or possibly the sea somewhere - weather permitting. Theres also the possibility of doing some diving off weymouth....... TBC!!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Well things are looking good for the 19th.  Sounds like everyone is reasonably comfortable with their drysuits (Correct me if wrong).  So basic plan is to turn up check for leaks (For those with new seals) and take it from there.

We can have a chat to decide who is doing what, comfort levels etc, buddies etc.  It looks like my mate is up for a splash on Sunday so that will be one more.

Look forward to meeting you all on Sunday.  So far by my count it is.

Me,
Dave (Me mate)
Samantha (The missus - brrr chilly no way am I getting in)
Tracy (Dave's missus - I'm doing surface support with Sam)
Nige
Matt
Adam

Any more takers !!.  Lou/Caroline are you likely to be putting in a guest appearance to prove that cold water diving is not just a male dominated sport ;)

Matt,

Planning on being there at 9:30 or thereabouts so will phone you when I arrive.  

P.S.  Anyone up for Tidenham Cove (Opens on the 22nd)...

Daz

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Ooops,  sorry does that mean you are in for Stoney on Sunday Ben.....

One more to add to the number ?

Daz

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

I'll be there, all things going to plan, at or about 9.30 with my boy and 2 others. One of the other guys has reserved an dpv! so that sounds like it could be fun. Adam is OK with his suit so he wont mind 22m. Anybody know if Ian (off the other page is coming). I'll bring me camera for surface shots only as its not got a housing but it is digital so I can post webby with even more ugly mug shots.
Matt

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Yippeee.... :yelclap:

I don't think I have looked forward to a trip to Stoney for such a long time.  Should be fun...

BTW.  If anyone is wondering what the South coast is like at the moment,  last Saturday the vis at Thurlestone was sometimes upto 1.5 metres and sometimes down to hand in front of the face.  So I don't think we are missing too much by throwing ourselves in quarries.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts