YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>My msn is shagged.  I have no idea what has done it (although the other half did mention that he had deleted some cookies.......).

I have tried to re-install it, and it asked me if i wanted to repair it, to which i said yes.  However it still wont work as there is "a problem with my internet connection".

Any ideas.....

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>can you connect to the net at the same time?

or try
typing this into  the command promt:
ipconfig /renew

and then try again

·
Registered
301 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I think MSNs a bit shit anywayz, mine always signs me out or just wont sign in i just keep trying until it does....

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Porg
Whether its got anything to do with it I don't know but I noticed there was a "Mandatory" update to  MSN Messenger today. Ie you couldn't log on unless you accepted the upgrade.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I can no longer check my email (hotmail) although i can access it at work.  My antivirus thing seems to want to update but that seems unable to manage either.  I can connect to the net (obviously) but it is very slow all the time.

Please, there must be someone out there who knows what i can do?

I have deleted msn messenger and re-installed it, but now the problem is with my hotmail too, plus the antivirus i suspect my modem maybe the source of the difficulties.

In plain talk, im no computer whizz, what do i do?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

Have you connected to the automatic update site to make sure everything is up-to-date with patches?  (It will probably be a menu item on the "Start" menu, if you don't know what I'm rambing on about)  Especially important if you have re-installed stuff.

It could be that Microsoft's servers are down, which is obviously not possible since they have such high quality software*.

dan.

*please note that my comments are tainted because I have to use MS Visual Source Safe and the code repository is on a machine in Omaha, Nebraska.

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Imported post

It would be good to start working through the possible problems and rule a few things out :-

1) Sounds like it's a problem that happens only when using your home computer. So it's something on your home config. that's cream crackered. Don't need to worry about Hotmail or Instant Messenger services being unavailable.

2) Can you see the connection speed of your modem. Not sure if your broadband or dial-up but there should be an icon in your system tray when your connected, when you hover over it you will see the connection speed. This is how dial up works, you may need to double click the icon and read more info. for broadband. Depends on the type of connection as to what the connection speed should be. You will have problems with MSN being able to connect if your connection is too slow to support it. When our work Internet connection is busy I get signed out and then back in again when my computer can get the connection back. If the speed is slower than usual then there could be multiple reasons for this. Let us know what your connection speed is if your not sure.

3) Sounds like you've got something going on with Norton. If your connection speed is okay then Norton may be taking all the bandwidth trying to get it's update. Hence you can't do anything else or it runs really slowly. Try disabling Norton and then trying to connect to YD. Is it okay now ? If it is then I'd suggest reinstalling Norton.

Let us know how you get on.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
My IE has crashed too. i cant get ANY web page to work. I have tried down loading IE6 but it will not work because my Proxy settings will not fly. Strange because they all appear OK. I have IE on disk but it wont overwrite the version on my computer because it reckons its a later verion of 6. There apears to be absolutly no way to uninstall IE which is a total pisser.. Microsoft help requires you to regiseter using IE. How stupid is that when IE wont work.

AOL works OK but there are several things I cant do on AOL so not having IE is a major pain in the bum.

ANy / all ideas welcome before I wipe the hard drive and re load from scratch

Running XP pro by the way

ATB

Mark Chase

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
dcrampt said:
See subject:

Try Netscape, or some other internet program?

Dave C

That will not help as several packages need IE souch as my payrole softwhere and Govt Gateway.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Run "windows update" and install all available "critical updates" (you can probably ignore the non-critical ones safely, I do), there's been several updates recently addressing flaws with IE and related browsers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts