YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

anybody got any tips to get my girlfriend to at least do open water??

shes a lovely girl, and i dont wanna swap her for a female dive buddy, but she doesnt understand my reasoning for all the time and money i put into diving, and id like to share some of my great experiences with her

thanks

chris

·
Registered
50 Posts
Imported post

sure, trade her for a girl that will love to get wet with you.

life's way too short to try and convince someone, even a potential SO, that your hobbies make sense to them.

I know it sounds harsh, but that's tough love for you.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

Listen to this lot half the time, they spend it whinging about diving Girlfriends/wives and having to buy kit for them too!

Surely the best plan of action has to be find a girlfriend who already dives and has lots of money to buy you kit

·
Registered
105 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gaz @ Aug. 14 2003,03:25)]sure, trade her for a girl that will love to get wet with you.
Mercedes 500 SL.

Works every time I'm told.

coat already on...

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

What's the big deal? My wife won't dive either. In fact, she thinks we're all mad and can't understand how I can waste so much time and money and risk my life just to see a few fish. She won't even swim if she can't touch the bottom!
My advice is, keep your lovely girlfriend, provided she understands and accepts that you intend to go on spending a lot of time and money doing what you love.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Chris,

There were a number of reasons why I took up diving - one of them was knowing that it was one thing my partner absolutely would never do. She's exactly like John's wife!

Most of the time its good to share - that's what relationships are about. Sometimes its good to have something for yourself.

Don't force your girlfriend to dive and don't ditch her for someone who will. Get on with what you love and let her decide wheteher she wants to hang around, regardless of the fact that you dissappear every weekend. If she thinks enough of you she'll either let you get on with it or come along herself to see why you are so mad on it.

If she says "it's the diving or me", well personally I don't think there's any place for ultimatums in any relationship.

Love me - love my diving!

·
That's Members Representative to you!
2,416 Posts
Imported post

I'm with Mark on this one...

I met my girlfriend at the Dive Club, and thought it would be *the best* to have a diving girlfriend!! While we do have fun and I love her lots, I prefer not to dive with her... Too intense diving together, worrying about her and what have you - and if she get's in a mood underwater thats it!!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

In extremis, you could always book a holiday to the Maldives and get her interested in diving that way - gorgeous warm water, loads to see (sea-life), viz for miles and a top 'soup-to-nuts' holiday to boot!

I sneakily tagged on a 12 day diving holiday in the Red Sea (after we'd 'done' Cairo and Luxor) to the end of our honeymoon, and as a result Fiona dives just as much as me when we're abroad; alas, the UK side of thing she tried, then binned, but it didn't put her off diving.

Failing that, if she still can't see it and is still giving you hard time, and if your explanation that, sorry dear, there are just some things that I do that you don't/won't, then yes, it may be time to trade her in for a new model. Harsh but fair.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Just to reiterate what has been said before,  If she has no interest what so ever just leave it at that.  If she is kind of interested, try to arrange a try dive/discover scuba at a local pool and take it from there.

I seem to have the best of both worlds.  My wife would not put her face underwater at all when I met her and she was none to keen on water too deep to stand up in.  I had been diving for a few years when I booked a holiday to the maldives, she decided to try an openwater course before we went.   It all worked out...  The really nice thing is that she is not quite so mad keen as me but understands the passion.  So if she does not feel like diving or feels that the dive maybe beyond her limits she won't dive.

So I get a buddy to share experiences with on holiday and in the UK but plenty of opportunity to dive without her.  Both nice but in different ways.

Try the direct approach, ask her if she wants to do a try dive and take it from there.  

Daz

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>I had the same problem with Tom, well I wouldn't call it a problem, when I told him I wanted to get back into diving properly he was really supportive for me, so I suggested, why doesn't he give it a try? (You know, something to do together 'n all, would also mean I'd be able to get more dives in) but no, He was having none of it, wouldn't even consider doing a dive in a pool.

I'm not going to bother going on and on at him to try something that he doesn't want to, he's got he's interestests, (he does proper go-kartin - I hasen to add that I doesn't interest me, but I gave it a go...but we won't go there) and I've got mine.

I'm looking forward to meeting new people and having the same interests as them, something of my own!

(I'm babbling now  
 bye)

x x x

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Ah, well, we started diving together.  It is nice to have a hobby or passion (whcihever category it falls into!) to share.

Maybe you should give up diving and do something that you both want to do!!

Be more room on the boats for me and C then.  Titter titter...

Lou

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ Aug. 14 2003,18:11)]Maybe you should give up diving and do something that you both want to do!!

They're probably already doing that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts