YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We have a Netgear wireless router here, but BT have sent us a "Home Hub" to go with the 8Mb link they have provided for free.

So can I leave the Netgear upstairs with the desktop plugged in, AND put the new router downstairs so that we get a better wireless signal downstairs ?

They are both on the same phone number if that makes a difference.

If that's a dumb question then I apologise in advance.

Cheers
Phill

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
So can I leave the Netgear upstairs with the desktop plugged in, AND put the new router downstairs so that we get a better wireless signal downstairs ?
You can't have two systems on the same line.
I have a Netgear ADSL wireless router in the cellar and you get plenty of signal in the attic.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I agree with NigelH.

I went through this very process at Christmas. As the BT Home Hub will be able to manage the 8mb connection and the Netgear can't, stick the netgear on eBay.

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
I agree with NigelH.

I went through this very process at Christmas. As the BT Home Hub will be able to manage the 8mb connection and the Netgear can't, stick the netgear on eBay.
Interesting ,as I have Sky broadband & they supply the netgear hub for their 8mb connections :confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
You should be able to use your Netgear instead of the BT HomeHub but depends on your model. If you have the DG834 or one of its variants then you should be OK as it is a combined modem/router/wireless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts