YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone ID this blenny from the Mediterranean - Costa Brava, Spain?

This blenny is about 10 cm long with small paired tentacles over the eyes. I have found it in a couple of sites in 1 to 8 meters whilst doing fish surveys. It lives in a hole in the rocks, popping out to feed. It is entirely black apart from a spot on the dorsal fin just behind the neck. It seems able to flash the spot – like an eye – when disturbed it becomes bright (peaccock) turquoise but otherwise fades into a dark colour.

To see photos follow this link:

Facebook | Gaynor Rosier's Photos – UNIDENTIFIED BLENNY

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blenny now identified

It turned out to be a Seaweed blenny - Parablennius marmoreus, although according to Fishbase they're not supposed to live in the Med. Confusingly Fishbase also has photos of two different species of blennies (Parablennius rouxi and Parablennius pilicornis) labelled as Parablennius marmoreus and many sites are now labelling their blenny photos incorrectly.

I found two living in the same small rock. The colouration is different but the distinguishing markings are the same. The dark variety definitely seems to be able to turn the blue spot on and off. In fact they were both changing colour quite considerably during the half hour that I was photographing them. The shyer one evn plucked up the courage to come out and nibble my fingers!

As you can tell I'm a bit of a blenny fan and I need to find the correct name for my fish survey data.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts