YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need YDs help!
An older gentleman I know, who is getting a bit forgetful, has had 2 insurance reminders in the post, when we rang them, both companies said he hasn't been insured with them for a while.

Last week I renewed his car tax on-line (it was only £10), so I'm assuming he must have insurance with someone, as I believe that it won't allow you to do it on-line without.

Does anyone know how I could go about finding out who his insurer is?

·
a stroke of good looks
2,817 Posts
i'm not sure it says who the insurance is with on the website, but contacting them may be a step in the right direction. i'm not sure how well yuo know the chap, but if possible scan through his bank statements looking for a direct debit or a payment to an insurance company, then get the reference number, contact insurance company, get policy number and details hey presto.

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
He will only need insurance documents if he was to be involved in a traffic accident or if he was stopped and given a producer by the police.
I dont wish to be rude but if this gentleman doesnt remember who he is insured with, does he remember the Highway Code?

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
Come on be fair how many people have even seen a highway code since they did a test ?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally no I don't think he should be driving, but his doctor says he can, so I can only help to make sure that he has all the legal documents and is fully insured just in case something was to happen. I'm not happy about it - but what can I do?

I wasn't after the documents, I was convinced he already had a policy as I sorted out the car tax, but when we rang the insurer they said it was cancelled. As it turned out he had 2 insurance policies (as well as the cancelled policy) with the same company for the same car which overlapped by 6 months. I've now arranged for 1 to be cancelled and asked for him to be refunded the 6months duplicate payment.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Personally no I don't think he should be driving, but his doctor says he can, so I can only help to make sure that he has all the legal documents and is fully insured just in case something was to happen. I'm not happy about it - but what can I do?

I wasn't after the documents, I was convinced he already had a policy as I sorted out the car tax, but when we rang the insurer they said it was cancelled. As it turned out he had 2 insurance policies (as well as the cancelled policy) with the same company for the same car which overlapped by 6 months. I've now arranged for 1 to be cancelled and asked for him to be refunded the 6months duplicate payment.
Laura, it's really kind of you to look after Nick B, at his time of life he needs all the help he can get ;)

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Come on be fair how many people have even seen a highway code since they did a test ?
I havent read a Highway Code since I passed my test some 25 years ago but I can recall what I was taught and I try to abide by what I was taught. I was being tactful, however I was asking as this elderly man has some cognitive deficits, whether he is safe to drive on the road and the OP has stated their thoughts.

Hope that clarifies for you.

Yas

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is nice to hear that there are still ture gentelmen out there helping others. well done.
:eek:mg:

if you are referring to me, I'd rather be called a lady, women, girl, or any other female variation (although I don't respond well to cow or sow)

:girlhug:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I havent read a Highway Code since I passed my test some 25 years ago but I can recall what I was taught and I try to abide by what I was taught. I was being tactful, however I was asking as this elderly man has some cognitive deficits, whether he is safe to drive on the road and the OP has stated their thoughts.
tbh - he can probably remember everything about the highway code, but I bet he asks me at least twice more this week if his car is insured. It's a real shame seeing someone deteriorate so quickly.

·
probably just mental
2,399 Posts
Laura, if you are worried about this persons ability to drive safely then speak to his GP. Its very difficult to assess something as complex as driving ability and often we rely on what the patient says without any other evidence to the contrary. It may be his GP isn't aware of how bad things are or things have deteriorated since he was last assessed.
I take it from your description your friend has some form of dementia. Here is the DVLA guidance for doctors on driving with memory problems / dementia.

"It is extremely difficult to assess driving ability in those with dementia. Those who have poor short-term memory, disorientation, lack of insight and judgement are almost certainly not fit to drive.
The variable presentations and rates of progression are acknowledged. Disorders of attention will also cause impairment. A decision regarding fitness to drive is usually based on medical reports.
In early dementia when sufficient skills are retained and progression is slow, a licence may be issued subject to annual review. A formal driving assessment may be necessary"

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if you are worried about this persons ability to drive safely then speak to his GP. Its very difficult to assess something as complex as driving ability and often we rely on what the patient says without any other evidence to the contrary. It may be his GP isn't aware of how bad things are or things have deteriorated since he was last assessed.
thanks for the advice, my mum has been attending all his hospital and GP appointments, before she retired she was a health visitor and so has been good at explaining clearly the situation. His GP said he can drive, the consultant has told him to speak to the DVLA (the problem is he doesn't remember), my mum has repeatedly told both that she doesn't think he should drive, at the last appointment they asked him what he thought and he said he was fine, but with an agreement to assess it again in a month. :(

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
My mum had her licence revoked 6 months ago after her GP referred her to the local mental health team. Trouble was, no one else was told. She carried on driving for a couple of days until she was stopped by the Police. Once they realised she had dementia, they let her off the charges but did say that if she had had an accident, she would have still been liable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts