YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Divers,
please follow the link to read about a damaged on 2 dive training platforms which has served our Town over the last 10+ years. Many Padi Divers and and most if not all tranees of our club have been thought on those 2 platforms.

We have arrange that the report is in the newpaper but need now lots of national & internation diver feedback to ensure that the editor is interested in follow-up reports which may push the local authorities to investigate who vandalised the platform.

As the Saudi Authoritis are very much interested in promoting tourism including international, you feedback would do wonders.

Please read the aritcle and if possible follow the Link "Comment on this article" on top of the head line to say a few words.

Arab News Newspaper

Many Thanks

Khaled Alwassia

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
According to divers familiar with the facility, the crime occurred during a period of several days when the property was transferred to a new owner, Jamal Saga. During that time the beach was relatively unattended

new owner not like divers ?

·
"Kite is right"
1,899 Posts
or old owner not happy with the sale ??

very strange having read the full report. Sounds like a big operation over a number of days. Someone must know...

a

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
or old owner not happy with the sale ??

very strange having read the full report. Sounds like a big operation over a number of days. Someone must know...

a
Yup - there's definately more to this than a simple case of mindless vandalism. My gut feeling is that there's a lot of politics involved in this that we're not aware of and so I'd steer well clear of drawing any rash conclusions... after all, we've only heard one side of the story!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok here is the unofficial version, the old owner/ leasee did not pay the rent for 2 years and was forced out by the courts.
We know the name of the PADI Instructor (unfortuneate but true) who did the damage with his team against payment but as there where no "EYE" witnesses it is hard to prove.
What we are trying is to via public response to force the Authorities to investigate and / or punish to Instructor / old owner duo.
The only way that could happen is if a public outcry happens, best supported with lots of e-mails or comments to the article.
The next step planned is that the local BSAC Club is repairing the plat forms with sponsorship from the scuffolding supplier, i guess it is good advertisment if their equipment lasted over 10 year in salt water.

So this is the unofficial background, hoping that you support us by sending your comments to Arabnews, so the reporter can at least convince the editor to run a followup. We are as well hoping that the Minister for Tourism will officially open the repaired plat forms, international diver comments with a hint of visiting KSA would do wonders to assit our plans.

Khaled Alwassia
AD & OWI, Trimix, TO
BSAC Abreakaway Dive Club 2159
Jeddah KSA

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
Ok here is the unofficial version, the old owner/ leasee did not pay the rent for 2 years and was forced out by the courts.
We know the name of the PADI Instructor (unfortuneate but true) who did the damage with his team against payment but as there where no "EYE" witnesses it is hard to prove.
What we are trying is to via public response to force the Authorities to investigate and / or punish to Instructor / old owner duo.
The only way that could happen is if a public outcry happens, best supported with lots of e-mails or comments to the article.
The next step planned is that the local BSAC Club is repairing the plat forms with sponsorship from the scuffolding supplier, i guess it is good advertisment if their equipment lasted over 10 year in salt water.

So this is the unofficial background, hoping that you support us by sending your comments to Arabnews, so the reporter can at least convince the editor to run a followup. We are as well hoping that the Minister for Tourism will officially open the repaired plat forms, international diver comments with a hint of visiting KSA would do wonders to assit our plans.

Khaled Alwassia
AD & OWI, Trimix, TO
BSAC Abreakaway Dive Club 2159
Jeddah KSA
Looks like a classic case of SEP... as outlined in 'The Hitch-hiker's guide to the Galaxy'

Berk:)

·
Lord Protector of the Pies and Defender of the Bee
1,021 Posts
I'd focus on the positive, i.e. getting it repaired and the good pubilicity that comes from that.

I'm guessing that if there is 'little' evidence of who is guilty (and little chance of prosecution) then any publicity which doesnt resolve the issue will actually end up only being be bad publicity for diving in the area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.