YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am thinking of some new kit but on reading other queries on regulators, have come across the term "necklaced" with regard to second stages. Can somebody please explain idiot fashion? (and yes, I am blonde but what's that got to do with it?)

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
necklaced

Don't worry we all start somewhere .:teeth: Necklaced means that the "octopus " reg is help by a rubber loop round your neck this keeps it in a very close proximity to where you might want it ie your mouth :tongue:
Generally in the situation of an out of air buddy they will grab the first reg they see which is normally the one in your mouth . In which case you immediately know that your spare is about 4 inchs down !
When I dived twins with a necklaced reg it sat in such a position that I could spit out my normal reg & pick up my spare without useing my hands .
HTH

follow this link to see one which probably explains it better !
eBay.co.uk: Divers octo holder/necklace (item 300109322278 end time 12-May-07 20:00:00 BST)

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Can you see the reg underneeth my chin on the white bungee chord. Thats a necklaced reg the white bungee being the necklace.

The other reg with the bolt snap on it is the hog looped long hose main reg. see how it goes across my chest arround the back of my neck and hangs down ready to be used. If someone needs gas thats the reg they get. I get the back up necklaced reg.

HTH

Mark Chase

·
beware of limitations
3,443 Posts
Am thinking of some new kit but on reading other queries on regulators, have come across the term "necklaced" with regard to second stages. Can somebody please explain idiot fashion? (and yes, I am blonde but what's that got to do with it?)
A necklaced reg is one held under the divers chin, usually by means of a bit of bungie that goes round your neck, hence the term "necklaced". There are various ways of doing this and you can lots of arguments with different people about whether the bungie goes under the cable tie holding the mouthpiece on, or whether you should be using a more forgiving arrangement should this get a "tug" from an OOG buddy.

The fundamental point about a necklaced reg is that it is there for you. It is your backup and you are using one because you expect your OOG buddy to snatch the "primary" out of your gob.

In this type of set-up you will typically find that necklaced regs are held on shorter-than-average hoses, and the reg in your gob is on a long(er) hose. This is because that reg is for donating. When you dive with a necklaced reg, you need to be confident enough to swap to that reg if the primary gets swiped by your buddy.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Necklaces

Many thanks for all the replies ... and loved the picture.. that sea is sooo blue!
Marjory.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
see how it isn't clipped off :)
...personally I'd be more concerned about the backup reg hose routing *under* the arm but then I'm sure Chasey's gonna give us a good reason why he does it that way. It's probably got something to do with the length of the hose - it does look very long! Might be worth getting yourself a 22" hose, Mr Chase... and that HP hose looks a tad long too! lol

<runs and ducks for cover!>

Hehe... and this is why I'd never post a pic of myself on the internet - far too many people just waiting to rip your kit configuration apart! lol

BTW - I'm only saying all this because I'm dead jealous! Haven't dived in warm, clear waters for a *very* long time now... :(

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
Can somebody please explain idiot fashion?
What, like jeans worn with the waist somewhere below the buttocks and large back pockets behind the knees?

I'm sorry, I just can't.

Sorry, I couldn't resist, but you'd already got a decent answer, even if the models are not the type who wouldn't get out of bed for less than £0.50

Regards,

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts