YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Girlie diver
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we have been on a mission. News has finally officially come out that the Sinai Governor has decreed that it is now permitted to fish in the Ras Mohammed National Park. How this is legal, I do not know, as the park is protected by laws created in 1983 and is an official Marine Protected Area.

Anyway, he has taken this astounding decision to allow fishing until June (late June I believe) which is just as all the fish start to aggregate ahead of their summer spawning. They are already beginning to gather... but one net could catch the lot at this point.

If you have ever dived in the Red Sea, plan to dive there, or even if you never intend to head down this way, please help us overturn this decision.

It has been well documented that the fish stocks have already been depleted (be it illegally), and that this depletion was one of the factors quoted as being involved with the tragic shark attacks last winter. Hence we are somewhat shocked and dismayed by this decision. On an ecological issue alone, this is a tragedy, as these gatherings of fish are not only spectacular to witness, but hugely important to this wonderful stretch of reef, and it would be a disaster if this decision results in its ruin.

Please sign and share

the petition.

·
434 Posts
Done.
That is shocking, what part of protected area do they not understand?
Forget it Crazycatlady, it's Egypt.

Personally, I'd have thought that getting rid of Mubarak and his buddies might have brought about better management of Egyptian natural resources aimed at benefiting the Egyptian people, rather than corrupt cronyism. How wrong can you be?

·
mari usque ad mare
978 Posts
Done

i am #263

but knowing how things work in this neck of the woods i do not think that it will have any impact , the only way to change anything out here is to hurt them in the pocket or fill their pockets .

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Right. Not saying its right or wrong but if the fishing that was the problem in the first place was illegal then by legalising it, the authorities will be able to control it and also have more powers to board vessels to check quotas and the like. Maybe it's an approach to a problem, from another direction.
Just a though.

·
Making God laugh...
3,112 Posts
In todays climate the Egyptians cant/wont even regulate the parking of taxi's downtown. Ras Mohammed is currently a free for all with boats everywhere, even unlicensed recreational fishing boats are here from god knows where.

My fear is that the damage done is now irreversible - if you remove a population that was about to spawn, where will the next generation come from?

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
No doubt this Governor will be joining the last Minister of Tourism in his present accommodation at some time in the future!

Reactions: Stevie H

·
Making God laugh...
3,112 Posts
It seems the Governor of Sinai has just overturned his decision to allow fishing. Well done and thank you to everyone who protested.

Now lets all hope the damage already done is not irreversible.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts