YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a sure fire way to rid a housing of pesky moisture with little or no resources?

I'm on day two of a hol in the Dom Rep. The bloody place is so humid I keep fogging my housing after the 1st dive of the day.

Day one I thought it was because I hadn't kept my macro lens cool and on the 2nd dive when I put it on the housing, it all went wrong.. Last night I turned on the a/c full blast and left the housing open making sure I cleaned and dried everything with my trusty pillowcase brought from home. I sealed the housing before I left for today's dives. 1st dive was no problem but as soon as I surfaced to about 2m I noticed the bloody thing starting to fog again! I didn't even risk taking the rig from the water as we weren't moving the boat. I just clipped it off to the side of the boat leaving it at about 2m. On the 2nd dive, sure enough I I couldn't see through the lens.

Any thoughts? Oh and by the way.. I left my silica at home... :embarassed:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Can you get hold of a hair drier? If so, blow hot air from the drier over the open housing, with camera inside, for about 3 mins (don't hold it too close). This will dry the air inside the housing. Then, shut the housing, and keep it shut until after the dive.

If there's no moisture inside the housing, there's nothing to fog up....

I've heard that aircon units will work in the same way, although I've never tried it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Seriously. How about some dry rice? If you think about it, it is used in salt cellers to absorb moisture, so..........

And there MUST be some of that available!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you get hold of a hair drier? If so, blow hot air from the drier over the open housing, with camera inside, for about 3 mins (don't hold it too close). This will dry the air inside the housing. Then, shut the housing, and keep it shut until after the dive.

I've heard that aircon units will work in the same way, although I've never tried it.
Belt and braces I think :) hair drier and then my newly acquired silica gel. Thanks :D

·
likes a good snooze...
88 Posts

I'm not sure if a hair drier would help - that just heats ambient humidity air in the room and blows it out (and hot air can carry a greater load of water vapour). If you could leave the camera and housing open for a few hours in an aircon room at the lowest temp setting before closing the housing, that might help. The aircon treated air will be lower humidity (which is why aircon units often have water dripping on the hot outside equipment - humidity removed from the warm ambient air.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Rice sounds like a good idea to me. I think I'd try to get it in a packet of tissue paper or something porous rather than loose though.

Those of you that have read the Hornblower books (I can't remember which one as it was 25-30 years ago) will know that rice adsorbs water!

·
Owner of the Frankinspo
947 Posts
A bit of bog roll in the housing may help. Or look for a moody lady diver to source a tampon.

·
likes a good snooze...
88 Posts
he, I was thinking where's the driest source of air at a diveshop? I believe compressed air in a tank is 0% humidity. All you have to do is warm your camera to make sure all moisture is evaporated then gently purge this humid air out the camera and housing from a borrowed air tank...;-)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts