YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I know this may not be the right forum but I hope you will be able to help me anyway.
Thought I bought a rebreather from a seller in UK. Turned out to be a fraud. All money lost. Reported to E-bay and Danish criminal police.
Turns out that there is no more I can do from DK but to report this matter to UK criminal police. Can anyone advise where / whom to contact in UK to report this guy?

Thanks

Jakob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Andrew

E-bay have offered very limited help and no advise on how to get in touch with police in UK.

I have got a lot of details on the guy but they are propobly fake as well.

I have tried to find a central phone number or e-mail address on UK criminal police but have been unable so fare.

the guy is supposebly living in march, cambridgeshire PE15 8ED, UK.

Cheers

Jakob

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
E-bay have offered very limited help and no advise on how to get in touch with police in UK.

I have got a lot of details on the guy but they are propobly fake as well.

I have tried to find a central phone number or e-mail address on UK criminal police but have been unable so fare.

the guy is supposebly living in march, cambridgeshire PE15 8ED, UK.

Cheers

Jakob

30 seconds googling produced

Cambridgeshire Constabulary - Contact Information

should be a good start

and the road is alledgedly Wisbech Road

but Cambs police seem to be more interested in Safety/speed cameras than 'real crime'. :)

·
never odd or even
286 Posts
Always pay through Paypal with a credit card.
Most credit cards have an Online fraud department who can normally get your money back from Paypal.
It's then up to paypal to sort the matter out with the seller.
Good Luck

·
Team Tricky: Diving with Twins
3,004 Posts
Always pay through Paypal with a credit card.
Most credit cards have an Online fraud department who can normally get your money back from Paypal.
It's then up to paypal to sort the matter out with the seller.
Good Luck
Interesting point this. Given that you Credit Card provider's "contract" would be with PayPal, can you be certain that they'd help retrieve the money? I have heard (although have no proof) that some CC providers aren't interested as the money is successfully, legally, intentionally, non-fraudlently (or whatever) to PayPal so as far as they're concerned the part of the transaction that they're involved in is ok.

Personally I wouldn't trust paying the sort of money that a rebreather costs any other way than in person, and not without some sort of "backup" to make sure things don't get nasty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CC / Paypal

This was done very professional with Verisiged messages. / Ebay account protection and the works.

Looking in the mirror I should have spend more time verifying the transaction but i did not... :-((

leason learned.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
So ........ this thread is just Jobbe wasting time? Why would someone do that? It's not as if any pleasure could be had out of getting people to reply to the thread 'cause we'd all reply to anything .............. well, it's better than working! :)

Anyway, does Jobbe need a swift job around the head? Is Jobbe really a Johhny Foreigner or from the UK?

Oh, it's all so exciting ......... the intrigue ................ the .............. excuse me I'm off for a nap.

:)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I don't usually dabble in this arena of Police Work but i have a passing understanding of the matter. The law could classify this a number of ways
1/ The advertiser never had the RB to sell in the first place took the money and banked it? In this scenario criminal offence of Deception.
2/ The advertiser had the RB for sale took the money and banked it never intending to send the RB to the buyer? In this scenario crimin al offence of Theft and/or Deception.
3/ The advertiser is in dispute with the buyer over the details of the sale or vica versa? In this scenario civil case(civil dispute) Police unlikely to be interested.

The Police in the UK have a liason contact with e bay and this was set up due to the high incidents of such matters which not only spanned every corner of the UK but the world.
Unfortunatley there are tons of similar cases on the go all the time. The Police covering the area the seller reports to live are the best point of initial contact.
In this case Cambridgeshire. The offence if any is deemed to have been commited at the point of origin namely the address given in the previous threads.
The difficulty in this case will be the Police obtaining a statement from the complainant namely Jobbe who lives in Denmark. The UK Police will certainly take a report from him over the telephone but it will be difficult to investigate and pursue the complaint without a written and signed statement taken from him by a Police Officer.
My advice would be to contact the Police in Cambridgeshire and be guided by them. The Police can not force the advertiser to send you the RB or refund the money even if he were to admit any wrong doing this is reserved for the courts who in fairness seldom order compensation to the aggrieved anywhere near what was lost/stolen. It is generally deemed that the conviction and subsequent sentence is punishment enough.
I'm afraid that you may have been well and truely taken to the cleaners on this one. Sure the Police will investigate the matter and prosecute it if there is enough evidence but unfortunatley the chances of Jobbe getting his RB or his money back are very slim indeed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Daz

I know that I have been cleaned out. This have been a expensive leason learned.
I do not expect to get my money back but I am looking to get this filled with British Police and to warn other.
There diver community in UK have always been helpful and kind when I have been across hence this request for advise.
Thanks to everybody who have offered their advise and help.
Should you come across to dive in Denmark and the Baltic sea please drop me a line and I will be happy to offer you help and point of contacts.

Jobbe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.