YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
diving member
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently got back my laptop after having it rebuilt due to it constantly crashing.
Now I keep getting a yellow triangle coming up with the message
System Alert: [email protected]
Type: Spyware/Trojan
Vunerable: Windows95/98/ME/NT/2003/Windows XP
Description: Spyware pprogram that sends confidential info to a remote attacker
Protection: click this ballon to download official security soft ware.

so questions???
have I got a problem because if I click the ballon Windows Explorer takes me to various adverts selling anti spyware etc
what do I do to get rid of it

hope someone can help
Steven

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Steven, give it back to whoever rebuilt it and tell them to do it properly, install all hot fixes,patches and security updates and install a Firewall along with a decent and up to date anti-virus solution.

If you connect a out the box windows machine to the internet it is likely to become infected with a virus within two minutes (or less).

Don't bother with Linux, its great,free and would be a nightmare for you if you are as computer-illiterate as you say you are.

At least with windows you can get help from almost anybody, although Linux is a technically better operating system and its free it just doesn't have the desktop installs and population familiarity that windows does.

Maybe in a few years time.

Davie.

P.S Wiki info on Linux: Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
diving member
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steven, give it back to whoever rebuilt it and tell them to do it properly, install all hot fixes,patches and security updates and install a Firewall along with a decent and up to date anti-virus solution.

If you connect a out the box windows machine to the internet it is likely to become infected with a virus within two minutes (or less).

Don't bother with Linux, its great,free and would be a nightmare for you if you are as computer-illiterate as you say you are.

At least with windows you can get help from almost anybody, although Linux is a technically better operating system and its free it just doesn't have the desktop installs and population familiarity that windows does.

Davie.

P.S Wiki info on Linux: Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
thanks Davie, it has come with Zone Lab and Symantic antivirus and the firewall is enabled - I've only had it back a week!!!!!

·
Diver & Joshua's Daddy.
370 Posts
give it back to whoever rebuilt it and tell them to do it properly
Agree with the above.

These things can be a total nightmare to get rid of, and well behond my understanding of you current computer literacy (sorry..... but i'm sure you'll agree)

It is possible, and I have done it with help before, but you need to follow instructions 100% to the letter and have an awefull lot of trust in someones instructions who you may never have met, mostly it involves running various software you would need to download 1st such as "Hijackthis" "Ewido" to name a couple, you then analise the log files to find the problems (with help) then follow instructions on putting things right, BUT, a lot of this needs to be done with windows running in safe mode.

Im sure you will now see why you need to send it back.......or bin it.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Reactions: Steven

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Steven said:
thanks Davie, it has come with Zone Lab and Symantic antivirus and the firewall is enabled - I've only had it back a week!!!!!

Simon, it must also have all the security updates installed and to be honest lots of pop-ups / Trojans are made to look like system messages and closing them using the [x] or the No, exit prompts will get you infected anyway.

Its a bad bad world we live in.

Use fire fox as a web browser and disable scripting, pop ups, then be careful and don't trust what you read on screen.

I got a restore disk for my kids laptops and whenever they have problems the first thing I do when they phone me is tell them to restore, usually a restore, updates, fresh AV sorts it till the next time they click on some rubbish a mate sends them.

Its a constant battle using a windows machine on the interweb.

Davie.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
milldog said:
download the Antispyware and virus all in one here update and run it

UK Forces - Laptop Downloads

it's free it on my own site

Graham
Sorry Graham, I know your trying to help but this is one of reasons people get into trouble with PC's, they don't verify what they are downloading, they don't know the source and they don't know enough to know better.

Personally Id say you'd be best giving a link to the original suppliers site so anybody downloading can verify themselves.

Its extremely bad practice to just download an executable file without understanding some basics.

Davie.

·
His Holeyness
2,198 Posts

Yup, Linux looks really complicated to me too

ColinM

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Colin Marriott said:
Yup, Linux looks really complicated to me too
ColinM
Colin, your missing my point, I said Linux is Great & free. Did I actually say its complicated? I am not convinced I did.

My point is about local help & support.

With Windoze anybody can use it, everybody is familiar with it and nearly everybody knows how to break it and tweak it. (from your Granny to your daughter)

Good or Bad? probably both.

Personally I like Linux & its got a brilliant internet support community (no matter what your flavour is).

Lets be honest there are lots of flavours available, lots of different ways to install, & lots of choices.

I really cba with a Windoze vs Linux fight, I see merits of both.

Davie.

·
His Holeyness
2,198 Posts
Colin, your missing my point, I said Linux is Great & free. Did I actually say its complicated? I am not convinced I did.

My point is about local help & support.

With Windoze anybody can use it, everybody is familiar with it and nearly everybody knows how to break it and tweak it. (from your Granny to your daughter)

Good or Bad? probably both.

Personally I like Linux & its got a brilliant internet support community (no matter what your flavour is).

Lets be honest there are lots of flavours available, lots of different ways to install, & lots of choices.

I really cba with a Windoze vs Linux fight, I see merits of both.

Davie.
You were the one dissing Linux!

ColinM

·
Diver & Joshua's Daddy.
370 Posts
This Windows v Linux chat seems to have really taken over the spirit of Stevens original post.
Namely the fact that he is in the SH**.
His recently refurbished laptop now basically being bin fodder due to the total ease with which even 6 year olds seem to overcome supposed "security".
If car manufacturers made things as insecure as operating systems seem to be then cars would leave the factory without doors............

·
diving member
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This Windows v Linux chat seems to have really taken over the spirit of Stevens original post.
Namely the fact that he is in the SH**.
His recently refurbished laptop now basically being bin fodder due to the total ease with which even 6 year olds seem to overcome supposed "security".
If car manufacturers made things as insecure as operating systems seem to be then cars would leave the factory without doors............
you know me something electrical I can break!!!!!
yeh torch is in bits again!!!!!!
what chance have I gat with a laptop!!!

although I am running Grahams stuff but like someone said I dont know what I'm on with - it seems to have pulled in a couple of 14days free trial things and I don't now know what belongs to what!!!

·
Diver & Joshua's Daddy.
370 Posts
you know me something electrical I can break!!!!!
yeh torch is in bits again!!!!!!
what chance have I gat with a laptop!!!
Connect torch bulb to laptop, take new laptop powered torch diving.
All problems now solved..............
Saved you flooding another torch battery, and laptop now totally knackered, thus saving the hassle of fixing it.......................

1 - 20 of 32 Posts