YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

whilst descending recently ive suffered a terrible pain in my right eye socket and no pain anywhere else ears or left eye, the problem is with descent only and is intollerable!
and its only happened since a freediving dip to 15metre's about six months ago, the eye is in perfect working condition with no ailments and the pain is in the tissue surrounding the eyeball itself and seems to be coming from behind the eye. any suggestions anyone?? it dont affect my balance or vision once i achieve my TOD but getting there is a f!*king mare to say the least.

regards in advance

nitrox

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

r u doing something thats known to make you go blind trox old pal?!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Imported post

Hi
I am not a diving medicine doctor, but something that can cause pain similar to that which you are describing (even at the surface) is sinusitis.  You could try simple measures such as menthol/steam inhalation to try and relieve things or a short course of decongestants (avoiding pseudoephedrine of course if you are intending to dive on nitrox during this period). Pain from sinuses can be referred to the orbit and surrounding tissues.
Of course it may well be something else, but it might be worth giving it a try.
Its not clear from your original post whether you are suffering visual problems during descent, while you are having pain.  If you are , then it doesn't sound like a sinus problem.
HTH
Fee

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

"(avoiding pseudoephedrine of course if you are intending to dive on nitrox during this period)."

Ian - why is this

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Decongenstants containing pseudoephedrine have been linked to increased  O2 toxicity..

Daz

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Agree with Ian,on the likelyhood on the Sinus thing having previoisly experienced identical symptoms to those described by Nitrox.
Tony

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Ian, Daz, please explain.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Imported post

Hi there John,

I assume that you are querying the statement refering to the use of nitrox and the use of pseudoephedrine.  Incidently, that post was done by Fee, don't worry she is not too upset :maniac:  as there is only a bit of difference; 10 inches in height, 7 stone in weight and a hairy chest (wont tell you which one has the hairy chest).  I first came across this notion during my PADI basic nitrox course and as I have the view that you should dive as safely as possible I just accepted it and if I have to use a decongestants I use one that doesn't contain pseudoephedrine.  Since then I have had a bit of a literature search and found a study study that does suggest a link between ephedrine and increased utilisation of oxygen and thus a tenuous link to ox-tox, how closely this pertains to diving I wouldn't like to guess but there is a hint that maybe we shouldn't dive nitrox using it.

The study involved bolus doses of ephedrine which are often used by anaesthesetists for intraoperative hypotension. The study was randomized single-blind cross-over study (for all you science monkeys out there) was designed to simultaneously evaluate circulatory, respiratory and metabolic effects of intravenously given ephedrine in 12 healthy male volunteers. Oxygen uptake and carbon dioxide excretion were measured with indirect calorimetry and non-invasive transthoracic electrical bioimpedance was used for cardiac output measurements. The maximum effect on most variables was reached at 4-5 min. At 5 min after the administration of ephedrine 0.1 mg per kilogram body weight, there were significant increases in cardiac index, systolic and mean arterial blood pressure, expired minute volume, oxygen uptake and carbon dioxide excretion rates. There were no significant changes in the quotient between oxygen uptake rate and cardiac index, VO2/CI during the 30 min study period. The O2 saturation was not altered. The present study indicates that ephedrine increases oxygen demand and supply in a similar magnitude.

HTH :umnik: here endeth the lesson :yelclap:

Ian Daly :doctor:

(Edited by Ian Daly at 9:27 am on Feb. 9, 2003)

(Edited by Ian Daly at 11:04 am on Feb. 13, 2003)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Thanks Ian! Interesting per se but we're talking about two different substances (ephedrine versus pseudoephedrine), with different pharmacological and pharmacokinetic properties, and two different routes of administration (intravenous versus oral ). I'm just a humble pharmacist but I'd want more evidence than that to conclude that oral  pseudoephidrine was contraindicated in connection with diving on nitrox. Still, better safe than sorry, I suppose.

(Edited by John Gulliver at 1:49 pm on Feb. 9, 2003)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

That's the second time pseudoephedrine and Sudafed have cropped up recently:as it's a decongestant,if you feel the need for it perhaps it's not a good day to dive? Or try Olbas oil instead.

Ian, you sound like a medical practioner; I'm not (I'm a research scientist) but from previous experience I have a suggestion Re Nitrox's orbit pain, jump in if you've any comments on the medical accuracy; according to one of my old colleagues from Dental Sciences (a consultant in oral-maxillary surgery), it may be related to a problem in another area of the head:  The trigeminal nerve links the areas of ears, eyes, upper and lower jaws, so it's not impossible that e.g. an ear problem can manifest as pain in your eye.

'Trox, perhaps give your diving a rest (heresy!) for a week or two in case you've got some low level infection, if the problem is still there after a break I'd suggest you see a neurologist just to be on the safe side.

Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Err... I'll be honest and say I haven't a Scooby mate. Sorry and hope you get squared and bussed soonest.

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

I thought you were meant to take your glass eye out when you dived...  :martian:  :froggy:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

neurologist!!!!... f*!king physcologist more like....

ive dived on sudafed many time's and never suffered any ill effects although i have heard many account's of what your saying and it is firmly taken on board.

as for the pain in the eye... all i can say is it feel's very deep rooted so to speak and dosn't affect vision at all.

ive never had any sinus problem's sub terra,sub aqua or indeed terra firma and this problem has only transpired since this freediving jaunt where it was so bad it felt like my eye was popping into my mask at about 15m although after some of your suggestions ill be making a phione call to an eye speciallist tommorow.

and oi!!! TWO WANK'S..sorry i meant to say tank's... get a grip dude!! remember!! stop..breathe..think..act.
and bren!..regarding our chat the other nicht! ... you were spot on!!!

thank's to all

regard's

nitroxius blindus tw!tus

)

(Edited by nitrox at 7:27 pm on Feb. 10, 2003)

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<<<<   NITROX,,,

What i suggest is that u go and see your dentist and have a x-ray,,, tell him your a diver and you want your   TMJ   checked out for any signs of cracks or stressed points .

I had a tooth explode on me underwater, went to dentist who removed the stump,, but a few weeks later still had pains in eye and above the ear,,,,.

TMJ's can break or be stressed even by shape breaking in your car or by yawning quickly and opening mouth to wide to quick,

Hope this may help...

Andy.

get it checked mate ,,, coz i missed out on a year of diving ,, and being a dive supervisor is no joke,,,,

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Steve W - whats this olbas oil you mentioned - can I get it at the chemist (something for the weekend sir) and is it as effective as pseudofed.

I`ve got a minor sinus prob on the back of a cold and am off to maldives on sat so will consider anything that prevents me having to cancel dives

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Olbas oil is a bit like Vicks - good for clearing your sinus' but I don't know how long it'd last. When I have dived with a slight cold in the past I've kept a menthol sweet in my mouth (ok, not the brightest thing to do maybe but it works!). And yes, its available over the counter.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Olbas Oil is a mixture of natural ingredients, should be available at any pharmacists, it's about 3 quid for a small bottle of about 10 or 15mls which will last you a year or more, you just put a couple of drops on a hankie and sniff it, or just point the tip up your nose and take a big sniff. I've never used Sudafed but I always have a bottle of Olbas around the house, magic stuff!
Chee-az
Steve

PS I've taken it on dive trips when I've felt a bit sniffly and never had any ear problems

(Edited by Steve W at 6:22 pm on Feb. 12, 2003)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Imported post

Steve/John,

Sorry for the tardiness of this reply.  John, don't know about the lowly status that you have assigned to your profession - I personally think that pharmacists should be present on all the ward rounds, that aside as I said it was only a tenuous link and I wouldn't like to guess how it related to diving but pseudoephadrine does have some sympathomimetic properties so I just go along the same lines as you and better to be safe than sorry, if it isn't to much hassle would you look into it as this is your area and not mine and give us some feed back - sounds like there could be a paper in it!?!?

Steve,

Quite right - there could be the possibilty of refered pain; someone mentioned teeth and jaw problems - there could be refered pain from the branch in the jaw to the branch by the orbit.

Nitrox - a visit to the dentist and the optometrist should sort all your problems out.  Let us know what the score is afterwards.

Regards

Ian Daly

(Edited by Ian Daly at 11:06 am on Feb. 13, 2003)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts