YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

We're having the coldest winter for almost 20 years. It was minus 14 degrees here in Gothenburg midday yesterday (minus 37 up in the north of Sweden!!). It has been warmer (well, less cold) today, only minus 8, but it has snowed all day, so we have 6 inches or so of new snow. All our favourite shore-diving sites except one are now completely frozen over and as most dive boats were taken out of the water in October, things are getting critical for us divers. I'm begining to understand what Lawrence D has to cope with in Canada. In fact, I'm almost starting to envy you your "muddy ponds" :wink: They say it won't be colder than minus 5 on Thursday, though, so we are planning to do a night dive from our last open water shore site. It's a case of making hay while the sun shines  (not a very good metaphor in this case). The Red Sea suddenly seems a very attractive option, in spite of of everything.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Bugger!
:sofa:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

Well we had some snow up on mount teide, I saw it from the boat when we had our surface interval. Had to take my suit of because it was a bit warm in that thing at 30C. and not a cloud in the sky. And it has been like that day after day after day......... getting boring at 3 to 4 dives a day.
All the best from Tenerife
Michael

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

#### , we had snow in Kent this weekend, MUST be a way of telling me to get my undersuit out the garage, if the mice not attacked it in the past 5 years ,,,, ggrrrr

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

Sorry Jay but it is all in a normal day at the office.....and I am not going to lie on this board to give you an excuse to bann me..... And by the way i have to ware my flip flops even in the winter.

All the best
Havin a BBQ now
Michael

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

Hi John. I can't kick this smile off because of what happened to me over the holidays. How are you? It has been crazy here too (cold-mild-back to extreme). I went up north for the holidays and I was intended to rent a skidoo and do some skiing. There was just ice because the snow started melted on Mon 29 and then froze up overnight. So after a failure to ski, I tried to get into a lake there. But the resort wouldn't give me a chain saw to cut the ice. We still had a good 18inches. My daughter was making fun of me as she played hockey on the frozen lake and I was desperate worse than a lunatic, to break the ice. Then I gave up and jumped in the hot tub and sauna.

Regarding the shortage of sites, I can see exactly what you mean. Rivers tend to carry ice flows that are very dangerous. That's why I opt for a complete frozen lake or quarry. Hey John, winter will be over in 3 months only :). I also find that not too many divers want to go diving in extreme temperatures. How about there?

If I find a cheap flight, I emailed Bren to join the gang for Feb / March weekend of diving - not exactly Red Sea but it would be an awesome experience.

Take care

Lawrence

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

Just to put my 2 cents worth...
Ive had to have the aircon going constantly..Water temp is about 16 degrees almost to the point that I am considering dropping from my 7mm wetsuit and buying a 3mm..
But on the neg side its as windy as #### which is keeping the swells to about 3-5mtrs ( El Nino has a lot to answer for)and there aint nothin worse than perfect heat and rough seas so you cant go out     lol
Hang in there and drop a hotty down your drysuit
Steve

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Things are improving here. After a long spell with temperatures around minus 8-9 midday and minus 15 at night, it's been a couple of degrees above zero all weekend and the forecast for the next few days is continuing milder but very windy (gale on Wednesday), which suits us fine as the ice should break up pretty fast and the wind doesn't stop us diving as our winter sites are all pretty sheltered. The meteorologists say it will be colder again next weekend, though. Hope it's just a temperory setback.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.