YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>get a cobbler to do the stiching, if you want any done, i know my local guy charges very little

Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello all,

I am thinking of changing my CD harness with a more simple one! One question that springs in my mind is, why some harness are criss crossed behind diver neck CD harness and others such as DIR not! What are the benefits of both? Who have dived them both what is the difference underwater?

Regards

Pierre

Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Crossing them pulls them tighter in across the shoulders. If you don't have the widest shoulders you might want to do it. I've never had a problem with having mine uncrossed. The DIR boys don't need to cross them because they all have such big shoulders from all those weights they do.

Pierre, Woz has started selling kits for simple harnesses, all the webbing, weightbelt buckles and D-rings, go to www.kitfondle.co.uk - even with the postage it might well be cheaper than LDS.

Digs.

Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>No problem with my uncrossed unbroken harness pierre.
Chasey recently posted somthing about his crossed harness which I found interesting tho.
I need/use a crotch strap - he dosent. The crossed harness stays where it is for him.
Maybe he'll be along to explain soon..

stu.

Imported post

I use a crossed harnes and as mentioned above I dont use a crotch strap or a chest strap. I have quite a large chest (44") and dispite being a fat git I only have a 34 waist. I have absolutly no idea if this makes a diferance but it works for me.

I just find the crossed harnes pulls in tighter than the streight harnes so it tends to stay in one place and not move arround on my back. I like it like that and its made possable by the adjustable sholder straps. All the one piece harnis rigs I have used were way to slopy for my liking.

My wifes new OMS wing has parallel straps and I definitly need the crotch strap when using her rig. Its OK during the dive but on the surface the whole thing rides up over my head.

Its no big deel to rig so why not try both and see which one you like.

ATB

Mark Chase

Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi I uncrossed my CD harness and haven't found any problems with it yet. If anything it's that wee bit easier to put on. I found that anyway. John.

Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello MArk,

What I just done was to remove the shoulder adj. pull webbing as normally they are alwaya pulled. As these always created a lot of clutter and mistook these d rings with other. What you think?

Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pierre Farrugia @ May 03 2004,19:57)]Hello MArk,

What I just done was to remove the shoulder adj. pull webbing as normally they are alwaya pulled. As these always created a lot of clutter and mistook these d rings with other. What you think?
If it works it works M8

I use the D rings on the end of the strap adjusters for just about everything. I hang my stages from them and my torch head when not in use so obviously I wouldent go down that rout. I just found it so easy to lcate the bolt snaps that way for kitting up and stage removal in the water. Down side is the tanks do hang lower than if they were tight against my chest but it dosent seem to bother me.

ATB

Mark Chase

Wing harness.

How easy is it to get out of a one piece harness that doesn't have shoulder clips/looseners? I have seen people on boats have a bit of a struggle to get into the harness.

My concern (about my getting one) is if I got snagged during a dive and had release myself from the wing in oder to turn round and cut some monofilament line free from the first stages - is it easy to do?

I also need to do a cylinder hitch to do a valve shutdown - my existing kit is quick to get released from.

How about the one piece harness set up?

I use a home made one peice and it can be a serious b****r to get out of especially if there the wing is full.
Trick is to leave it a little loose with a couple of cms of slack in the shoulder straps.
It does wobble a bit hough you can get out fairly easily.

I want to incorporate looseners at some stage if I can work out how to do it.

One day it will be sorted, with all the time and effort spent I should have bought one!

Finless said:
How easy is it to get out of a one piece harness that doesn't have shoulder clips/looseners? I have seen people on boats have a bit of a struggle to get into the harness.
Let the crotch strap and waist go and slide down so your shoulders are in the middle of the plate and suddenly the arm loops are huge. Pull the left loop forwards by grabbing it with your right hand and slide the left hand below your right hand (you can do this blind). Don't try and struggle forwards with your arms trapped behind you as that only might work and you tend to get all snagged up on computers, dive timers, slates et. al. You want your shoulders firmly against the plate until you have one arm out and then you can get the other arm out easy. This is usually the point where I realise the dry suit feed is still plugged in.

This is a bitch to manage on the boat unless you do a limbo-dancer lean backwards but this is the best way to get into it as well. People look at you like you are mad but 20 seconds and your in/out.

nigelH

Reactions: Helen F H
Yep. Like Nigel said - easy, so long as you lower yourself relative to the rig so there's loads of slack in the arm loops.

I've been keeping myself amused in the pool recently by getting neutrally buoyant, dekitting, swimming around with the whole rig in my arms, then putting it back on, all whilst floating horizontal in midwater. Nothing to it, so long as you work with the gear.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Nigel - I usually notice my dry suit feed is still connected as I'm following closely (approx one hose lenth) behind my kit going up the side of the RHIB. :) Actually, my forte is to forget to take the bungee cord off my cylinders when on Nauticat. My keen analytical brain lets me struggle on until someone points out I am still tied to the boat.

I think you have all confirmed my major concerns about this kind of set up. For valve shut downs I have to do a cylinder hitch to get to the valves - not going to happen with this kind of narness. Getting out of the kit under water is a cinch with the shoulder pinch clips - not so easy with a harness, especially if caught up on something.

More pondering for me to do! I used to be indecisive but now .....

Stick on a shoulder pinch clip on one shoulder but instead of cutting the webbing, thread it on so you end up with a loop of webbing that comes loose when you release the pinch clip.
All the loveliness of a break without the, er, break.

Finless said:
Nigel - I usually notice my dry suit feed is still connected as I'm following closely (approx one hose lenth) behind my kit going up the side of the RHIB.
The best trick is kitting up on a RIB and getting the rope that runs round the tubes inside the crotch strap. Then rolling off backwards.

Not only does it reduce everybody on the boat to hysterical tears and unable to rescue you but once we recovered (it wasn't me upside down with my legs in the air) how do you get somebody out of that position? It took two of us hauling on his legs to get the weight off the waist enough to undo the belt and let the crotch strap go. Thankfully he realised we were trying to help.

nigelH

Reactions: Rob Evans
nigelH said:
The best trick is kitting up on a RIB and getting the rope that runs round the tubes inside the crotch strap. Then rolling off backwards.

Not only does it reduce everybody on the boat to hysterical tears and unable to rescue you but once we recovered (it wasn't me upside down with my legs in the air) how do you get somebody out of that position? It took two of us hauling on his legs to get the weight off the waist enough to undo the belt and let the crotch strap go. Thankfully he realised we were trying to help.

nigelH
I would have enjoyed watching that! LOL.

Woz said:
Stick on a shoulder pinch clip on one shoulder but instead of cutting the webbing, thread it on so you end up with a loop of webbing that comes loose when you release the pinch clip.
If you do that, does the spare loop of webbing end up flapping about? Or do you tie it down somehow?

Like this...

tom said:
If you do that, does the spare loop of webbing end up flapping about? Or do you tie it down somehow?
It ends up neatly sandwiched between your body and the rest of the strap (if it's been webbed properly) so it's really nice and tidy.

On my wing, the left shoulder strap came over the shoulder, through a 3 bar slide with the chest D-ring on (important this is on first, then the weight of stages is hanging off the webbing, not the fastex clip), then through another 3 bar slide (A) through one half of the fastex clip, back through 3-bar slide (A), then you get your loop as long as you need (mine was about an extra 10" ;) ) through another 3 bar slide (B) through other half of fastex, back through 3-bar (B) then down to the hip slot on the plate. It sounds complex, but it's easy once you get your head round it.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.