YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Since christmas ive shedded 12lb from my weight belt so now my fresh water weight is 12lb half of what i started with but i still feel to heavy and on a weight check i am still below the surface. however on decent i start to fall like a stone and so have to put air into my suit to arest the pace. on my return to the surface however i am forcing out what little air ive put in and find the last 6mtrs  can become a little uncontrolable.
which way now.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Are you doing the check at the start of a dive or at the end. If you're doing it at the start when you come back to 6mtrs you've less weight through losing the weight of gas. Try doing the check at the end of a dive with 50 or so bar left!

Peter

Edited for stupidity!

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>yeah, But ,, Pete,,,,, He is also having to do a DUCK DIVE to leave surface and force his way down to start his descent, this is surely not good practice, and as we have spoke on AOL chat,, i'm even stumped now

Andy

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>I am doing the check at the end of the dive. but the result seems prety much the same wether its 50 or 100 bar.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I am EXACTLY the same.  I struggle to get down, and then if the twins are nearly empty i can struggle to control the ascent.  I am always told im overweighted, which is probably true for single dives with the twins.  But if i do two, they change their tune and say im underweighted!

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>one problem i noticed with novices is that when they are less relaxed, i.e. on the surface before starting the dive, they are a lot more floaty. it seems to be that they are taking bigger breaths and holding more air in their lungs, whereas when they are actually on the dive they are relaxed, breathing more normally and hence are less buoyant

obviously that wouldn't apply to wonderfully experienced divers like yourselves, but maybe it is possible that in slightly more challenging situtions - i.e you've just dropped off the boat, swimming against the current to the shotline, trying to get under as quick as possible, you're breathing a bit harder and are a bit more floaty? likewise on the ascent there might be more things to keep track of and the situation may be slightly more stressful in consequence?

this would be in comparision to a weight-check or a normal dive, during which you might be more relaxed and therefore need less weight....

just a suggestion....

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>whose experianced Im still a relitive dive virgin only loged 50 dive since I started.
However most of them have been during the winter months, so cold water diving not a problem. But i'm lucky I don't feel the cold.
However with cutting the weight down I am finding that my air is lasting longer and that my diving is a lot more relaxed. If I can just sort out the floaty bit at 6 mtrs I'll by happy. So back into the breach again on Sunday, thanks for your all your help, & hope to see you all soon.
Lou.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts