YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi I know there is a herbal suppment for improvoing circulation to the extremities  does anyone know what it is ??thanks
Fiona.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Hard to say for certain, but the databases (see below) provide some evidence that it would probably be beneficial. Apparently intavenous EDTA controls the symptoms but give me garlic any day over that !
The  recommended approach (http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/raynaud/ar125fs.htm) seems a little contraindacatory to diving:

Take action during an attack
Keep warm
Don't smoke
Control stress
Exercise regularly
See a doctor if questions or concerns develop

###########################################
1: Baluchnejadmojarad T, Roghani M. Related Articles, Links  
Garlic extract attenuates time-dependent changes in the reactivity of isolated aorta in streptozotocin-diabetic rats. Life Sci. 2003 Sep 19;73(18):2281-9.

2:  Baluchnejadmojarad T, Roghani M, Homayounfar H, Hosseini M. Related Articles, Links  
Beneficial effect of aqueous garlic extract on the vascular reactivity of streptozotocin-diabetic rats.
J Ethnopharmacol. 2003 Mar;85(1):139-44.

3:  Ku DD, Abdel-Razek TT, Dai J, Kim-Park S, Fallon MB, Abrams GA. Related Articles, Links  
Garlic and its active metabolite allicin produce endothelium- and nitric oxide-dependent relaxation in rat pulmonary arteries. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2002 Jan-Feb;29(1-2):84-91.

4:  Kim-Park S, Ku DD. Related Articles, Links  
Garlic elicits a nitric oxide-dependent relaxation and inhibits hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstriction in rats.
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2000 Oct;27(10):780-6.

5: Altern Med Rev. 2003 Feb;8(1):55-8.  
A case of early renal functional impairment resolved with nutrients and botanicals.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi guys

Firstly the initial poster doesn't say if they have Raynaud's (the correct spelling - medical student take note!) so all this discussion is a bit premature.  They may just be like me and be an extremely cold person.  Also with regard to the purely scientific answer - from the titles, these studies have demonstrated an effect in the large vasculature (aorta, pulmonary artery etc) rather than the smaller blood vessels in the extremities. I don't know what evidence is out there for herbal remedies, but I know that some people swear by garlic.
Good luck
Fee

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fee @ Dec. 08 2003,18:27)]Firstly the initial poster doesn't say if they have Raynaud's (the correct spelling - medical student take note!)
<font color='#000F22'>I know but I do  

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Antistax is good for circulation in the legs. It contains dried red vine leaf extract and is available in pharmacies and health food shops. Its good but you might want to check with your doctor or pharmacist first if you have any circulatory problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts