YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I just had a operation for a umbilical hernia repair and i was advised to take at least 6 weeks off work.

Just wondering if anyone else had it done and how long it will be before i can lift my twinset again.

I was thinking about 3 months.

P

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
I had an ingeunal (sp?) hernia done about 18 months ago, did a 12 mile walk 48 hours after the op, was wheeling barrow loads of stuff round the garden within 4 days, pretty much back to normal after a fortnight. six weeks should be plenty if it's anything like mine.

Good luck

Pete

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crikey

I had an ingeunal (sp?) hernia done about 18 months ago, did a 12 mile walk 48 hours after the op, was wheeling barrow loads of stuff round the garden within 4 days, pretty much back to normal after a fortnight. six weeks should be plenty if it's anything like mine.

Good luck

Pete
Crikey! I've only just managed to get out of bed 10 days later.

Must be different.

Ta matey.

·
235 Posts
I also had Inguinal Hernia and my experience was pretty much the same as PeeBee. Keyhole surgery as a day patient and active a couple of days later. Biggest problem I had was waiting 9 months for the operation. This was 12 months ago and been fine since diving regularly.
Sounds like you had a more invasive procedure if you needed 10 days in bed - best advice I can give is listen to your surgeon its not in his interest to keep you off work any longer than necessary. I would imagine by the time you get get back to work you should be okay for the twinset but again check with him. After all he knows far more about your individual circumstances than any on this board. Best wishes for a quick recovery with no further problems.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Hi all.

I just had a operation for a umbilical hernia repair and i was advised to take at least 6 weeks off work.

Just wondering if anyone else had it done and how long it will be before i can lift my twinset again.

I was thinking about 3 months.

P
I would imagine it is the same time scale when a women has the nursery taken out and the play pen kept ….

Sorry , couldn’t spell histerrecomania – histerecomtemery :D

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Well an umbilical hernia is rather different to an inguinal one (or a paraumbilical hernia come to that). The actual repair is probably strong enough even now but the real issue is whether sufficent wound healing has taken place. I'd wait a couple of weeks at least. The vis is crap now anyway!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts