YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

hey,
im Nick and am possibly your youngest member?! (14) and maybe the only one that isent a diver (yet) although i have got my padi skin diver card. Finally after being interested in diving for a long time i am going to be doing my open water in the next couple of months. Anyone here from Bristol??!!
I've learnt alot from visiting here recently so i thought i should join up..
looking forward to talking with y'all
Nick.

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

I just LOVE the nickname (Aluminium Toad). Can you give me some background on that?

There are a few younger members, beef being one of them.

Let us know when you do your Open Water!

Welcome to YD
moray

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

A very warm welcom to both YD and the world of SCUBA, Nick!

If you're looking to hook-up with Bristolians, the you could do a lot worse than get in touch with Daz (and his 'Bristol Massive') from these very boards - he's a PADI Divemaster and is always out with students and for pleasure dives.

Good luck with your Open Water course and dive safe.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

heeheeh yeah it a cool name i think i stole it off my brother when we used to play games online.
I think im doing my open water with Extreme Marine if any one knows them.

Nick.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Nick .... Alloy frog

Nice to always see youngsters getting on here getting stuck in. This is the best place you could have come to , to have divers chat to and help you out with any silly questions you may think of,,, BUT they will treat you like and adult.

My little lad is a YD Member, but he is only 8,, but spends most of his online time in STORM FORCE ( RNLI Lifeboat website for younger people ), doing colouring , writing stories and driving the lifeboat around the buoys.
He has just in fact walked tho the door with me, after being out fishing . The waves were around 14 foot , and he wanted to drive my ( opp's OUR ) boat, but it was a one hand on the wheel and one hand to hang onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Anyway have FUN and enjoy the site.

Andy & Stevie

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Hi Nick
Welcome to YD. There are lots of younger people on here including my daughter Bethi who is 12 and PADI advance open water. My son MAtt is 14 too and Junior Rescue Diver so if you have any questions about younger people diving then just ask. Aslo agree with Bren that Daz and Wacker from the Bristol Massive would be great  people to hook up with. Bethi and I met up with them in Cornwall in the summer anbd had a nice day out with.
Enjoy your open water course

jules

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Nick

Welcome to the wonderfull world of UK diving. The first thing you need to do, is remember to always have a "Red Sea brochure" with you when diving in crap weather, that way you'll remember why you are doing it.

Like the name.

James

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Nick hi
my son, Adam is 16 1/2 but started when he was 14 so any questions just fire away and if I cant recall I'll get him to square away the answer as he's online ocassionaly (Spelling?).
Good crowd on here and a good sport to get in to, as has been stated earlier age isnt an issue, everyone treated as equals as its what you do in the water not how old you are that counts and it cuts both ways.
Hope we get to meet some time.

Matt

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Alloy,

Welcome aboard matey. I'm sure you'll love diving. I just started this year and I love it. I wish I could have started diving at your age. As everyone has said dive safe don't be afraid to ask questions, you'll never know if you don't ask. This board has lots of info floating around on it and lots of experienced divers. Hope you've found a good club/place to learn to dive with. Look forward to reading your posts and conversing on here.

Dive safe,

Dave C

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Dec. 27 2003,16:36)]If you're looking to hook-up with Bristolians, the you could do a lot worse than get in touch with Daz (and his 'Bristol Massive') from these very boards - he's a PADI Divemaster and is always out with students and for pleasure dives.
Not strictly true Bren  

Actually a PADI AI  

Signed off in December.  Nerve wracking but good fun...

Anyway,  Hi Nick  

Bristol based as Bren says, there are a few of us on the boards now from the Bristol Massive,  we have Dave (cideriup), Mikael, wacker and also I hope we can count SteveL in the mad crowd.

There are also quite a few more who are not active on the board (computer ludites!).  So who are you training with?

We tend to dive inland at this time of the year but also South coast in the fairer months and also managed to get on a couple of trips to Anglesey.

Nice to meet you and feel free to drop me a PM if I can help on anything localish.

Daz

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Give my regards to Chris (the owner),

I have known him for some years, been a tad busy recently so not been in the shop but used to go in every week.  

You should do fine, he has many, many years of experience.  I am sure we will meet up at some point in the near future, I tend to meet up with many of the extreme marine mob (old and new).

Have much fun...

Daz

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Aluminium Toad

Glad to hear you're starting diving. My son Keith ("beef" on this website) started diving this year at 14 and has had a great time. I'm sure you will as well.

Keep using this website - lots of info and helpful people.

Happy diving

·
Registered
381 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Welcome Nick .... If you've got a problem, if no-one else can help .... Then this is the place to ask it !

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

does that remind anyone else of the A-team? or I am I just showing my age.

Welcome aboard Ali-T

·
Registered
381 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (louigi @ Dec. 31 2003,00:26)]er capel u aint from capel curig ar u
Is there still a 'Bottleneck at Capel Curig' ?

Any other Half Man Half Biscuit fans out there ?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (camdiver @ Jan. 02 2004,11:40)]does that remind anyone else of the A-team? or I am I just showing my age.

Welcome aboard Ali-T
<font color='#0000FF'>Damm ! And I thought you wouldn't notice !

Shows who's been watching too much UK Gold recently ....

One of my favourite quotes came from the actor David Hemmings, who died recently .... "People thought I'd died, but really I was directing episodes of the A-Team (and Airwolf !)"    

1 - 19 of 19 Posts