YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hello there, my name is Andy, i'm 30 and live in Rotherham.

I have just signed up to do the PADI open water dive course(in Feb) and was looking around the web when i came across your site, i have found the forums very interesting and helpfull and can't wait to start my course so i can get going on this diving lark as it seems it's going to be rather good.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Andrew,

You are more than welcome mate!! Welcome to YD.

Congrats on taking the plunge (pun intended) into the magical world of diving - and good luck with your OW course next month. Get that squared away and then get yourself along with us soon for a good dive (in your range, depth and 'comfort zone') at either an inland or shore dive.

Feel free to ask any questions you might want mate. We honestly believe that the daftest question is the one you DIDN'T ask!! You'll get nothing but help and encouragement from the troops, so fill yer boots!

Once again welcome,

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Top man!

Welcome to the exciting, intriguing and bloody expensive world of diving!

As a new fella to divingh you'll be able to save a fair tear o'hassle, unnecessary expense, tears and pain getting top quality info here...

So ask all you want, we've got it covered..... I hope?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Oh it is Andy, it is... and what a lucky barsteward you turned out to be, I wish I had such a wealth of experience divers at hand when I started, you should want for nothing my friend, not advice, not equipment to loan or buddy's to dive with..

See ya very soon no doubt

regards
Dave :thumb:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the welcome's, (jeez you guys work fast), I need to get the basic kit for the course Fins, Snorkel, Goggles, any suggestions where to go for that and will i have problems getting fins with my rather large size 13 loafers

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

For yer basics - mask (not goggles) fins and snork you can probably cut a deal with the shop doing your course and get the lot for £75-100 depending on the "flash" factor of your choosing

Mask - sod the mask, don't get a purge valve one. Get one the is comfie and has a #### good seal

Snork - betcha never use it after the course, just get a basic plastic tube

Fins - Kettle o' fish. Can be as good or expensive as you with (I think the worst are Apollo Biofins at about £175 Geeze!). Mares Avanti Quattri, Cressi Space-frogs are pretty good standard fins.

Now haggle like #### and get the dive shop to throw in a few spare straps for mask & fins as you'll need them at some point (at least 2 fin straps as when one goes, t'others not far behind so do the set)

HTH.

If you want more details, whack a post in the "equipment" forum and those of us with no social lives will reply in 3 seconds :lol3:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

PS I've got size 12 peds and XL fins fit me easy, XXL's are available but not too sure how widely - not bought fins for a while.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Imported post

:wavey:
Hi Andrew!
Welcome to the site! Hope to read loads of your posts and meet up with you at one of the dives shortly
Safe Diving
Cheers
John

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Welcome Andrew!  Look forward to reading you on the boards.  Dive safely.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

"Enter freely and of your own will...." which is just another way to say what everyone else has said.

As a "just starting out" diver you've come to a good place, there's all the help, info and advice you could wish for, and what's more you'll get financially-unbiased opinions based on a wealth of experience all in the friendliest ethos around.
Anyhoo, as Bren said don't be afraid to ask anything at all, as we don't have any truck with point-scoring or elitism here.
Chee-az
Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts