YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all have been looking for a club to join to further develop my some what novice diving skills, hope you can help.  I've got a PADI OWA, and own some basic equipment (BC, computer, regs, fins etc (no dry suit)

I dived/qualified a few years ago and have had some pool dive since but really would like to start diving in the Uk.

Any help would be great, so mail me or post I work in IT so I'm online most of the time.  (Don't mean to sound like a geek or anything far from it
)

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Ian,

Welcome aboard mate. Just let us know what you want (training advice, tips, buddies etc.) and we'll get you hooked-up and sorted out.

You've joined just in time mate too - summer's here big styleeee and presents ample opportunity to get your dry-bag course under your belt so you can get to using one regularly to dive in. Do you need recommendations for instructors? We've got shed loads of the reprobates on here!  

Like I said, just let us know what ya need and we can get the ball rolling.

Welcome again.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>Hi Ian
Welcome to YD forum
Before the day’s out you will have lots of offers of help and advice on how to get back into diving.
As you may have already seen there is a lot going on here..
Again welcome to the boards.
Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Thanks Guys for making me feel so welcome esp Bern for mailing me about YD in the first place.

Right here goes (please feel free to give your 2 pennys worth)

I'd like to attend some pool sessions and get back into the swing of things and also to test out my new equipment etc.  Not worried about have to pay a few quid (as some would view this as a sort of try dive)  But ideally I'd like to attend 2 or more training sessions a week as local as possible would be a bonus.

I'm also trying to get some first aid courses sorted at work as I think things like that are always useful and so would like to incorporate that into some training.  (I try to view safety above all else for both myself and others can't have a laugh afterwards with some poor buggers not well!).

So need some instructor advice (patience please
)
Some dry suit or dry bag (I like that
) sessions
And I suppose eventually get myself out with a good crowd for my first UK dive ASAP!  If possible with other new comers so I don't feel totally useless.

Again thanks for welcoming and helping me.  Beer's on me

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Ian,

For your dry-bag orientation course and your Diver-Medic/First Responder course, I suggest you contact Andy Hayhurst on TEL: 07702 - 819381. He lives in Sedbergh, in Cumbria, but seeing most of your training will be taking place at a place called Capernwray, that's no bad thing. Andy's one of the most accomplished diving instructors in the country and also one one of the most approachable.

Pool nights local to you: Kirky, can you suggest what's best for Ian as that's your neck of the woods, right? Warrington/Skelmesdale/St Helens way??

Once you've got your dry-bag courser under your belt, you're more than welcome to join us on a pootle or easy dive off Anglesey or in the Lakes. Get in amongst it mate!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Hi Bren,

Just spoke to Andy (you where right a very pleasant man)  And he's gonna get me wet in a "dry bag" in Capernwray around the 2nd of May, So many thanks mate, looking forward to it (like a kid in a sweet shop!
)

Any idea's about the pool yet? (sorry don't mean to pester)

So hopefully all being well will see you guys at an easy dive! Soon  

Oh and enjoy the sun and have a great weekend.

Stay safe

·
Registered
106 Posts
Imported post

Ian

For what it's worth, there are a couple or three schools around your neck of the wood that probably have pool sessions that you could sign up to.

Looking at my atlas of out of the way places, I see that you seem fairly well placed for a trip into Liverpool.
Try [email protected]
or [email protected]
or [email protected]

Good luck with your diving.  Hope to meet up with you at Capernwray or somewhere a little more exciting.

Kev

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Hi Ian, welcome to our forum.  Things are lively here, we don't bite.  Well, I sometimes do, but only on a Monday morning!  Dive safely.  

1 - 9 of 9 Posts