YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just been given a link to the forum so I thought it polite to introduce myself.
I'm quite new to diving, ow in July and done some cold drysuit training in Orkney.
I've booked flights to Egypt in Oct and hope to get to Marsa Alam for a week while I'm there. I'd be interested to here from anyone who's been.
Need to get in the water soon but as yet I'm billy no buddy, got all my own kit, live mainly in Nantwich Cheshire but spend quite a bit of time in Worcester, work in Manchester and travel the North quite a lot.

Get wet soon
Simon

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Imported post

I went to Marsa Alam a couple of yars ago.  Diving was all shore diving and the reefs much nices than up north.

Great hotel altough very remote.  Easier now that the new airport is open, when I went we had a 5 hour drive from Hurgarda.  Have a great trip.

Darren

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Simon,

There are quite a few of us in the north west. I'm in Manchester myself. Feel free to drop me a line any time that you fancy a dive and are stuck for company. I work 3 weekends in 5 though, so mid-week is best for me but I'm worth a try any time.

Welcome to YD, the friendliest divers in the UK!

Mark.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Simon,
Welcome to YD I'm in NE Lancashire, another non Yorkshire Diver, someone usually out most weekends and as Mark said occasions through the week

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Simon,

Just to chime with the other guys (Darren, Mark and Parahandy), you are indeed welcome to YD mate and we (that's us, the Manchester/NW Massif) look forward to diving with you sometime soon mate. Enjoy Marsa Alam and be interested in you thoughts on it when you get back if ya don't mind.

Have a look in both the 'Worldwide' and Recent Dive Report sections on here as I'm sure there are posts on Marsa in both.

Take it easy, see ya soon and welcome again.

Cheers,

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the hearty welcome guys,

I read the past reports on Marsa Alam and I'm so exited it sounds great. I went to Hurgarda in July (just a couple of days on route from Luxor to Cairo) and had a day on a boat snorkleing some reefs, It was to make up numbers for a bunch of Russian divers but that's what made me decide that I needed diving as my hobby.
I'm on long term sick leave at present (burn out) so I have masses of free time and  I had started to vegitate. Give us shout if you need a buddy or someone to make up numbers  on a trip.

I will post a report when I return but as a newbie I dont think that it will be as informative as the previous reports, I could possibly start it now....... loads of fish, biguns and littleuns all bright colours.....

My time at MA will be spent shorediving with a day or two hopefully on a boat and the rest of the time I'll be boaring the misses.

Simon

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Simon TW @ Sep. 17 2003,06:42)]... the rest of the time I'll be boaring the missus.

Simon
<font color='#000F22'>What you get up to in you spare time is no concern of ours!

Welcome to the board and I hope to have a dive with you at some point when I'm visiting some of the Manchester contingent.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Hi Simon,

Nantwich eh?  Well I spend a fair bit of time over there what with work commitments - oh and the in-laws live there too!  As I sometimes use it as a base to go diving (deposit the family and off I go) you're more than welcome to come along anytime.  

Be good to read your reports of MA.  For me, one of the great thing about reading the reports from 'newbies' is the sense of emotion it brings back from my early days - which in fact was only 18 months ago! You know seeing things for the 1st time, the cock-ups etc etc etc.

As for diving as a hobby, I can't imagine anything better for burn-out.  Hovering above the deck of a wreck watching the shoals of fish and all other sundry life go by - breathe deep, relax and let your mind wander - aaaahhhh luvverly.  Try reading TIm Eccots book 'Neutral Bouyancy'  he explains that feeling very well.

Oh BTW, welcome aboard.

Tim

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Hi simon and welcome aboard!
I can thoroughly recommend diving as stress cure, I can honestly say that when i go diving i completely forget about everything else until i get home. it's really theraputic.
Plus gets you out of the house.

Enjoy

Jules

1 - 11 of 11 Posts