YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all
thought I'd introduce myself. I'm not overly familiar with this forum, but a mate from my club meniotned it (and I believe some of you met in Milne's pub on Rose Street, Edinburg recently) so I though I'd check it out.

There seems to be some very useful stuff here, and of course good contacts to go diving with.

One question to put out there. Does anyone know of any good schools/chartiies/companies etc. to work for as a (BSAC or PADI) instructor. I'm aware of Greenforce (the coral reef survey company, not the torch company), a couple of the Camp America operators and Club Med. Any info/opinion regarding these or others would be appreciated as I'm looking to get away next year for an extended break and I'm going to ahve to work most of it as I am shockingly skint.

cheers

Ben

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Ben, greetings mate - I was one of the guys who met up at Milnes on Thursday.

Hopefully I'll get to catch a beer with you soon.

Can't help on your question but i'm sure someone here will be able to assist.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Ben,

Welcome aboard mate, another to add to the Jockanese contingent. Sorry can't offer any advice either.

Cheers,

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benjiballs @ Oct. 25 2003,15:56)]Hi all
thought I'd introduce myself. I'm not overly familiar with this forum, but a mate from my club meniotned it (and I believe some of you met in Milne's pub on Rose Street, Edinburg recently) so I though I'd check it out.

There seems to be some very useful stuff here, and of course good contacts to go diving with.

One question to put out there. Does anyone know of any good schools/chartiies/companies etc. to work for as a (BSAC or PADI) instructor. I'm aware of Greenforce (the coral reef survey company, not the torch company), a couple of the Camp America operators and Club Med. Any info/opinion regarding these or others would be appreciated as I'm looking to get away next year for an extended break and I'm going to ahve to work most of it as I am shockingly skint.

cheers

Ben
Hi Ben and welcome

You could try the Operation Raleigh route, but im not sure if they pay you, or like some of the charities (eg Coral Cay Conservation) you pay them.

Adrian

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi Ben

I did post this one a while ago. Its Greenforce and the only one i know about.

Welcome and good luck in your searching.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
228 Posts
Imported post

Hi there,
I think that Frontier (www.frontier.ac.uk) are recruiting diving officers at the moment. I think they provide your costs, accommodation and a small salary. Have operations in Madagascar, Tanzania and possiby latin america. Could be worse, I suppose.
Cheers

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

Ben dude,

Nice to see you on here. Its a very friendly site with lots of great things to read and learn. I wasn't sure it was you until I checked the members list. You know I went to Menorca this summer? Well we made friends with a dive instructor there and I could check if they have vacancies for next year? I'll see you on Thursday in the new pub.

Dave C  

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

wow, thanks for the replies everyone.
Ok. Gavin, thanks for teh welcome. Bren, thankyou, though I have to tell you I'm not Scottish (from Lancashire origianlly), been living in Edinburgh four years. Adrian, good idea, I'd not though of Raleigh, will check them out. Paul, yes Greenforce seem to be the name that comes up most, and I keep eharing good things about them. Dave Clayton, excellent, I'd never heard of them before, looks like a promising one. Dave, yes its me mate, see you on Thursday...nice picture!?!?
thanks everyone
Ben

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Dave - which is the new pub?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Imported post

No problem,

A friend of a friend went to Bali with Greenforce. It's a hell of a lot of money to volunteer. I think they do their dive training in England, so if you wanted to work for them as an instructor you may find yourself based in Milton Keynes (it's somewhere like that, I think).

I'm not sure frontier are recruiting diver officers any more, they had an ad in the back of Diver for a while. One of my mates works there (admin stuff), they sound alright, but work you very hard.

How come there are so many scottish yorkshire divers? Confusingly I'm from Ripon but now live in east Lancs. I used to go out on the East side when I lived in Edinburgh. Never usually ventured as far as Rose St. I ended up in a place called mad dogs a couple of times. But apart from post-work broughton st drinks and the odd stag night underneath the dome I stuck to student land.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>As a North East Edinburgh dweller why go anywhere else?

My local is called the Windsor Buffet - now that's a name for a boozer!

Dave - Milnes is OK but they'll have to bring down the price of a malt AND start serving 35 mil measures  

·
Registered
228 Posts
Imported post

Did I say "East Side"? I meant South Side. My local pub was either Greyfriars Bobby or Negotiants (sp?) depending which route boasted less vagrants on any given day (could usually see from bedroom).

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I'll try and pop along if I get time but I might be on duty with Mrs Y and some recently engaged friends.

What time's kick-off?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Gav,

Milnes do serve 35ml measures - as your face was a picture trying Emma's double vodka and Irn-bru (70cl of vodka and about the same of Irn-bru thanks tot he ice!)

Mad Dogs - "interesting" place, looks like it's gone all "trendy" now.

PS Wouldn't Fi prefer the Privvy Council?  

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>That was the Irn Bru not the vodka.

Alcohol - one of the main food groups !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts