YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just a few lines to present myself to those who haven't come across me before, on Divernet's fora or elsewhere. I'm a Brit who has lived in Sweden (Gothenburg) since 1968. I started diving in 1988, the same year as my 50th birthday, which'll tell you I'm no youngster. I was badly bitten by the diving bug right from the start and have now done 1220 dives. I hold the PADI Divemaster qualification but have never worked as a divemaster. I'm also a CMAS nitrox diver. I go on diving trips abroad at least once a year and have dived all over the world, in lots of wonderful places. I'm very interested in marine biology and that's my main reason for diving nowadays. I enjoy diving a good wreck, though, although I can't call myself a real wreck diver – I have no techdiver qualifications. I dive all year round here on the west coast of Sweden and do just over 100 dives a year nowadays. I use standard sportsdiving equipment, with a Transpac II and pony bottle and TX40 regs, and have back-up for all essential parts of my kit. I'm a strong believer in self-sufficiency. We have some very good scenic diving here in our archipelago, by the way. There's always a protected site to dive, however bad the weather is, and the visibility is normally pretty good, seldom less 5-6 m. The best diving in Scandinavia, though, is in the middle part of Norway, between Bergen and Trondheim. Why not try it some time? You'd love it if you like scenic diving. And the 2nd World War wrecks in Narvik are probably better than those in Scapa, so there so!

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Hi John,welcome aboard.I hope you're well.You'll recognise some of the people on here I'm sure.The site tends to be self policing and very effectively too(therewithin is an indication of the members' and moderators' attitudes),there just isn't the same flames etc.as elsewhere although the debates etc.are better than any I've seen.Your experience and approach will be much appreciated and I'm sure you'll be an asset.Hope you get as much out of it as others will from your input.As always,take care,Hobby.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Good to have you on board John, always nice to hear from more biology oriented divers. I don't frequent D-net all that much so don't recognise your monicker.  Incidentally, as a nitrox diver that means most folk here would put you in the Techie dept.
Heard some good stuff about diving in scandanavia, would definately like to try it some time, careful though, talk of those Narvik wrecks willhave a bunch of YD-ers camping in your back garden ;)
Cheers
Steve

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Hi John and welcome aboard.

I'm sure you'll enjoy YD and hope you'll notice a vastly different atmos. here compared to 'Handbagnet' as some call it.

I must say that I've read a number of reports on how good the diving is in Sweden and I'm sure we'd all be over a lot more if the price of beer wasn't so damned high!  

Anyway, we'll all be looking forward to your reports on these great dive sites you mention.  You never know it might even tempt some of us over.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey John,

Glad you finally made it aboard to YD - you'll be well useful when it comes to answering dive-site questions on Scando and other places/liveaboards, like Canada for example. Oh, and the Phillipines, Malaysia and other gaffs in the far-flung.

Take care mate and look forward to reading your input.

Cheers,

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Hi John,

Just repeat what other have said - nice to see you over here!  I am sure yo will fit in well, your posts on D-net are always worth a read.
I have seen that you go to Aquarius Diving when you are over in the UK.  As I work just outside Abingdon and live in Bucks and am one of the "Southern Softies" contingent on YD I think you qualify as an honorary member of said sub-group!

Catch you later, Mr Gulliver

Lou (aka Bluebell2 on D-net)

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

John,

Welcome aboard ... always refreshing to read your contributions on mycocksbiggerthanyourcocknet ... sorry divernet.

Special felicitations from us in the Scottish faction I'm sure.

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

John!  You made it!  Welcome, welcome indeed!  Good to have you with us, look forward to reading your posts.  Dive safely.  Ribbet.  :froggy:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

Hello John

Good to see you've crossed over from the other side too - I thinks it's a little more relaxed here mate and shall I say, a bit more grown up!

Cheers & dive safe !

Paul
(funnily enough, jjflash on the old d-net !)

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Hi John,
yes I'm here as well. Good to see you joined us at last, about time too. Looking forward to your views and comments.
Matt (aka Aquabin)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Recognise people? G'awn geddaway...

Driftwood a.k.a Driftwood

Funny that.... Welcome! :yelclap:

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Et tu drifty? Jeez that's spooky...:menani: (that IS meant to be a ghost innit?)
Steve W,  aka Steve W on Dnet, other less flatttering appelations on 'Crowbars &  Lump Hammers Inc.' forum forum :blahblah: :snore: :moon2:  

1 - 14 of 14 Posts