YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Hi!

I've been reading the boards for the last couple of months and have finally taken the plunge to become a YD!

I'm relatively new to diving - completed my PADI OW last October at the NDC Chepstow and my PADI AOW January this year in the Red Sea. I'm still tring to complete my BSAC Ocean Diver through my local club (my snorkelling skills have improved no end though!).

Have recently been introduced to the pike at Stoney but still waiting for them to turn the water heating on!!

Will be after lots of advice - possibly going for twin sevens, manifolded or not, but then that's another thread!

Sian

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

Welcome to the forum, Twinset :))

moray

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Hi Twinset and welcome to the last bastion of wisdom and sanity on the internet.

Whats that you say, this is YD?   Shit.

Ahem,  Hi Twinset - fear ye all who enter here....

So, about that ocean diver course; if you're PADI AOW you should cross-over directly to OD without having to re-qualify.  Your DO should just able to give you a SALT certificate and away you go.  I know cos I did this myself - I'd have a word if I were you.  You should be able to start straight on the Sports Diver course.

Anyway, have fun here.

Tim

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Twinset & Pearls @ Mar. 05 2004,20:26)]Will be after lots of advice - possibly going for twin sevens, manifolded or not, but then that's another thread!

Sian
Hey Sian,

Welcome to YD!

We employ an 'ask what you like' methodology here - the daftest question is the one you didn't ask!

Where the twin sevens are concerned, all I'd say is go for what feels comfortable for you - twin sevens seem to be very popular amongst lady YD'ers, so you'll be in good company and can get answers and info off a ruck of divers off here.

Feel free to ask away - we'll certainly help where we can! Get in amongst it and enjoy! See Planned Trips and get yourself on a wet with us soon

Cheers,

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Sian,

Nice to meet you. I'm sure you'll find this a great place to learn more about diving. Good luck on your transfer to BSAC. As has been said ask away if you have any gaps in your diving knowledge. We all have been at your stage in diving before and ths place should sort you out with info, dive trips, and new friends.

Dave C

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Sian

Nice to have more join our (normaly) happy throng.

You sound like a "go getter" and have managed to get qualified quickly with PADI, but remember the BSAC lot are doing it for free, the instructors don't get a penny, so it's only fair they help you when they can or if you are nice to them. Try speaking to the training officer about what you want to do and see if they can lend a had in arranging it.

Get wet soon.

James  

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>sian,
welcome to yd,the heatings on it just takes a while for the water to heat!!
cheers
barrie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Thanks for all you kind words and welcome messages.

Can anyone help me with getting my avatar displayed? I've uploaded it from my pc and it appears on the list in the control panel, but when I try to add it to my profile it says to try again as no avatar was selected.  
 Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Avitars are just another symptom of technology that just enables us to waste our time faster?

Welcome to the forum from another newbie

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Mar. 05 2004,21:07)]twin sevens seem to be very popular amongst lady YD'ers,
Well thank's a bunch!

For the record, some real roughty toughty blokes on YD also use twin 7's  

Oh and me as well  

Welcome to YD and start asking away.  Oh BTW,  twin 7, 300bar are a good solution.  They might be heavier than twin 7x232bar but the extra weight can come off your belt/harness and if you can get 300 bar fills it is more gas (and that ain't a bad thing
)

Daz

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Mar. 06 2004,23:09)]For the record, some real roughty toughty blokes on YD also use twin 7's  

Oh and me as well  
<font color='#0000FF'>daz,

just you then..............................?
?

cheers
barrie

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

I'll go with Daz on his advice, all good stuff, but can you trust a man in a string vest and pants?

James  

·
Registered
95 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>James, the only type you can really trust!!! Hasw he got a knotted hankie as well:cool:

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Nigel Waller also uses twin 7's.

So that's Nigel, Daz and a bunch of girls . . .  

Sian, welcome to YD. There is probably much good stuff to learn here, you just have to spend time digging through the madness and insanity to find it!

Don't restrict yourself to the internet - what sets YD apart from other fora is that we actually take the time to dive together. Some of us even like each other! Get involved and get diving with us - make new friends and buddies. There's bound to be a YDer near you - if none of the Planned Trips suit you post in the Buddy Required section. I'm sure you won't be lacking for offers.

Maybe see you soon.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

Welcome from me too, even tho' I'm so new the paint is still wet!!!

I'm still trying to work my way around things and I don't even have an Avatar!!!

...or a tag line..

(note to self: get organised and look for something witty)  

1 - 20 of 20 Posts