YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi to all,
I am an ageing learner (so some say). Joined my local BSAC club and started diving in February. Qualified as a Sports diver but realise that I have still got a lot to learn to progress my skills and enjoyment. Hope to pick up a lot of information and advice from all the experienced contributors to this forum. Have done 60 dives this year including a great week on a liveaboard with my club in the Red Sea.

Regards

Mike

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Wow Mike,

I started in Jan and I'm only just finishing my Sportsdiver lectures. Your club must be very organised. Weclome to the Yorkshire Diver boards. Your very welcome to join in the chat and contribute. You'll hopefully find everyone here very friendly and willing to offer lots of great advice.

Get on the forum and explore and feel free to join in with any chats or trips.

Dave C

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hi Mike,

Welcome to YD mate. If ya need buddies, post on the Buddy Forum, failing that, just jump in and enjoy.

Cheers,

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Welcome fellow fenfolk!

Where abouts in East Anglia are you?

Enjoy the boards

Conor

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks for your responses.
Don't often go for the club scene but I guess I have been lucky with the choice of dive club as the local people and organisation are great and they do a lot of dives all year round.  I have probably had my last dive of this year last weekend as it's getting a bit cold for a semi-dry and I have loads of other things to do. But I plan to be starting again in February - 6C is just bearable if I remember my first dive correctly. Maybe later next year I will consider investing in a dry suit. Although I come from London originally I can claim that my father's family all come from Hull which hopefully gives me some sort f link to YD.

Cheers

Mike

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Ah, Newmarket BSAC? They have quite a good reputation around here, supposed to be the best club going. Was considering joining myself.

Oops....should have said I'm a PADI Rescue Diver living in Cambridge

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MikeG @ Dec. 11 2003,12:31)]Hi to all,
I am an ageing learner (so some say).
Regards

Mike
How aging, Mike? I started the same year as my 50th birthday, am now 65 and have done over 1300 dives. Don't let anybody tell you you're too old to dive unless you're older than Leni Riesenstahl – Hitler's favourite photographer and the author of several books and maker of a couple of fantastic u/w films – was when she did her last dive, 100!!! She was in her midseventies when she started, by the way, died a few months ago at the age of 101.
Welcome to the boards!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Hi John,

I was a very young 52 when I started. Now a much older and a very small amount wiser 53!

Mike
PS Thanks for all the advice you have shared on this and other forums.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Mike,

welcome to YD

Team up with Louigi from here, he is in Kings Lynn and the pair of us will be working shortly in planning some dives out of Lowestoft .

thats some going 60 dives in 10 months , good one ya ,,

Andy

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Yeah if you or any other fen folk fancy a dip in our local pond groty' sorry Pauleene. give me a shout compared to you Ive only got 31 dives in since feb but am qualified to sports diver rescue diver and advanced nitrox. so you needn't worry too much. I am usually at Guildy most week ends now that the vis has cleared.
so look out for a little blue Fiat van with a YD sticker on the back door. that's me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Hi Louigi,

I will look out for you when I start my regular dips again at Gildenburgh mid Feb (depending on weather). Well I have still only got a semi-dry and it's only OK down to 6C in water!
Am looking to do my combined Nitrox next year. Is it true that I will have to deploy a DSMB mid water and maintain depth to within 1 metre or better? If so, guess I will practising this a lot more next Feb.

Mike

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Yes its all true practise practise practise that's exactly what I shall be dooing a lot more of.
So when your ready give us a shout.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts